ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  9:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you little "chicks" are hard at it . . good job!!!

If you have questions about earning Merit Badges or ideas for how to display them . . . let me know. I'll try to help.

And, keep on keeping on . . .
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  6:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering what to do in a case where I have already done some of the badge requirements but not while being part of Mary Jane's Sisterhood. For example: I have been using cloth bags for my shopping for over ten years. Does that mean I cannot earn the Shopping Green badge or that I have already fulfilled the beginner requirement? I was also looking at the apron badge. I've made a half apron and find that I'm just too messy of a cook for it to do me any good. Can I make a full apron and count that as the beginner level of the Apron badge?

I have one other question. Did you do anything to keep the edges from fraying on your Sisterhood badge? I'd like to sew it to my jacket but I wash it once in a while. I've used Fray Check on things but I don't know if that will leave a visible residue on the badge.

Thanks bunches,
Kathy

Edited by - KathleenL on Jun 12 2010 6:38:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Can I see the May issue too? I didn't start until June. I too like that we can submit from past things. I've done that already. Still have lots to apply for. I love the badges. My badges are collecting right now as I think about how to decorate. I love your ideas of buttons too.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
Thanks for the link to the "Cluck". You look so young and beautiful!

That's a great idea to make the Sisterhood badge into a pin. I'm glad I asked you before I did anything with mine. I'll have to think about how I want to decorate it. After asking my questions I found a post by you where you showed pictures of how you had done some of your badges using buttons for the different levels. That's also a great idea!

Thanks for being such an inspiration.

Blessings,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  11:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AND, girls . . . Rusty sent some books for required reading for Merit Badge applications. I saw that she had them and asked if I could borrow.
She told me she didn't want them back.
SOooooooo, we'll just circulate them through the Henhouse for anyone to read who needs to read them for their badges.

I have: "SECRET LIFE OF BEES" for The Secret Life of Bees beginner badge
"BEEF: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat and Muscle Shaped the World"
for the What's Your Beef intermediate badge
"MONTROSE: LIFE IN A GARDEN" for the Bee Good to Mother Earth beginner
badge.

I'm gonna read them as quickly as I can and then they will be available to you Henhouse chicks. For now, they will avaialable ONLY to our Henhouse members until everyone who needs them is done with them.

So, if you need to read them shoot me an email and I'll put you down. Whoever responds first will be #1, 2nd will be #2, etc., etc.

THANKS RUSTY . . . I believe this will help our Henhouse!!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 14 2010 3:44:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! I need to read "Montrose" and "Beef". Can't get either at the local library. I did manage to get Secret Life of Bees from the library though. That was a great story.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  3:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie, I can send "Montrose" on to you when I'm done and "Beef" to Kathy and she can send it on to you. Then we can go from there.

CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  6:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Are all issues of the "Cluck" available online? I've searched around the site and couldn't find anything. I'm wondering if I need to save them as I receive them each month or if I'll be able to access them later.

Thanks,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  7:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy,
I don't think they are available online. I believe the only way you get them is when they are emailed to you. I can't remember for sure but I recall seeing somewhere someone posting to that effect.
So, yup . . I'd save them if you want to have them. I do print them off but it takes a LOT of color ink. I like to have them to read whenever . .

Hope that helps!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got Montrose and will be getting the Soul of the Horse. So far I am enjoying Montrose.

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  06:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey CJ, I need to read all the books so at some whenever they come up I'd like to take a peek at them. Thanks so much. I have been gathering a few things just need to sit down and get a few things together. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karen,
We'll get books to you . . . I don't just know in what order . . .but we'll make it work for everyone who needs them.
Thanks again to Rusty for getting them and making them available!!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 23 2010 06:26:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  06:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie,
"MONTROSE . . " is on its way to you today, 06/23.

Kathy,
"BEEF" will be on its way to you tomorrow, 06/24 (with your totebag)

Happy reading!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  06:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note about the books in our "traveling library".

It will be important to read them as expediently as possible so they can go on to the next Henhouse "Chick".

If I know who needs a particular book next I'll include that in a note with the book when I send it.

If I don't know I'll ask you to email me when you're ready to send it on and then I can let you know who to send it to then.

This will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful for all of us I believe.

THANKS . . again to Rusty for making them available!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking for the book. I haven't started you tote bag yet but I've finally got everything together to make it.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie,

I mailed the book "Beef" your way today. That book was a little hard for me to get through. Some of it was pretty interesting but other parts were a little boring.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kathy. I'm almost done with Montrose. I have to check with CJ to see who I'm sending to next but should be able to send out on Sat. I'm finding the same at times toughness with that book.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kathy and Laurie,
Robin is having the same issues with "Montrose" and I did with "Beef" as well . . .so you're not alone. "Beef" was interesting in places but kinda tedious to get through.

I am almost finished with "Secret Life of Bees" and can pass that on to Robin . . and I have enjoyed this book. So I'm glad for one that is an "easy" read.

But it'll get us on our way to those badges!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "Montrose" from the library right now. While reading the introduction I thought, "Oh good, this book is going to be more interesting than the last." Now that I'm in to the third chapter I'm finding it rather boring. I thought it was about vegetable gardens and it's not. Plus I don't really need to know every little thing she planted or did. lol I might find it more interesting if I lived in a climate more like hers and could use some of the information. I like books that I can put to practical use.

I loved "Secret Life of Bees." Did anyone see the movie? Usually the movie of a book isn't very good but I enjoyed it. If you're interested you might check out your library. That's where I got the copy I watched.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy . .

Robin is visiting here now . . she feels the same way about "Montrose" . . . oh my!!! I guess I'll just have to "buck up" and deal with it when it comes my way!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  05:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the "hits" just keep coming!!!

Way to go Rusty, Laurie, Kathy, and Robin!!!!

They've added some new badges to earn . . . haven't really looked at them but will be doing that shortly.

They gotta keep us challenged . . and working . . I guess!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  7:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have "required" reading for badges? Do we have to do the badges right away? I am about to hit what is called my get ready for school mode. I will be in my classroom and we are very involvoed with 4-H fairs..I was just getting started looking at badges...oh my goodness I am a bit overwhelmed sisters. Help!

thanks,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  8:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tammy . . . WELCOME!!!

You don't HAVE to do the badges at all, unless you want to pursue that. Some of them do have "required" reading but not all of them.

I suggest you just read through the badges and try to identify ones you WANT to work for. You might try to make a list of some you are REALLY interested in right now . . .and just start there.

I can give you more information later but I don't want to overwhelm you further . . . let me know how I can help and what questions you might have.

One of our Henhouse "Chicks", Rusty, has gotten many of the books and they are available in our Henhouse Library . . . what a $$$ saver for all of us.

Let me know how I can help!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will look at the badges and see what all is there first and then go from there. If I have questions I will ask..believe me I ask..hahahha

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  11:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest not looking at the badges as something you have to do but something you do for fun. I think we were all raised in a culture where we need to do a task to earn something (like getting those stars on our paper in school). I look at the different badges and consider whether I want to learn something new, take a skill to a new level or if it's something I'm really interested in accomplishing. Yes, it's fun to earn badges. After all I was a Girl Scout with many badges but I'm hoping to be past the part of me that wants to perform to get someone's approval and sometimes working to earn a badge can fall into that category if I'm not careful of my thoughts and feelings.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Tammy:
I know how you feel about the badges but they are a lot of fun and it's good to get a pat on the back now and then for something you are good at. It also gives you a chance to learn something new - at your own pace. Just have fun with it and as CJ says - breathe!
Love-

Rusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Merit Badges Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page