Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Issues with Postage and Postage Due
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Issues with Postage and Postage Due Next Topic
Page: of 2

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's becoming more and more expensive for us to send our letters, cards, packages etc. and I wanted to bring up the subject of postage.

I send a lot of mail that could be considered "lumpy" and that usually requires extra postage. I try to put enough on and, usually, if I don't my post office with let me know.

I received a card today from a swap that was what I would consider equivalent to one of my average "lumpy" cards. The originating post office was requiring $4.23 postage due! Of course, I about fainted! I would have probably put two Forever stamps on it. And I believe the my post office would have been happy with that.

I just wanted to do two basic things:
- let your girls know, so you could be aware of some increased postage needs.
- if ANY of you have received anything from me that required you to pay additional postage, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I want to be able to do better on what postage I put on.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 22 2024 12:40:43 PM

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I have had the same problem as well.
And please if you had to pay extra postage for any of my letters, packages etc please let me know.
Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  1:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes and postage is going up again.

Sad they want business but keep raising prices.

Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4913 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4913 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Please, anyone let me know too if postage due on any of mine.
Connie W.

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 22 2024 1:49:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  1:50:02 PM  Show Profile
We struggled with postal rates recently because their categories changed.

Anything shipped First Class has to be totally flat as in a simple letter with a Forever stamp or two stamps if there are several flat pages in an envelope (more weight). It's actually called First Class Flat.

We used to ship our almost flat pouches of ChillOver powder in a First-class envelope (barely lumpy), but after their recent changes, that created "postage due" on the other end.

Something even slightly lumpy needs to be shipped USPS Ground Advantage. That is their cheapest rate. They discontinued Parcel Select. They still offer Priority for both envelopes or packages but it's very expensive.

In other words, Forever stamps on letters and cards, and Ground Advantage on everything else.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I just learned this.. the hard way! AACK!

I have the clerk hand process any 'lumpy' mail through his "thickness measurer thingy! if it slides through, 1 stamp,, if it does not then he has to do his computer pricing..
I currently have a 12x12x12 box to mail out.. OY! I c an just imagine what that's gonna cost...

And,, ladies, please let me know if I owe anyone "postage due'... I will send it..

It's funny, I have had a couple of "postage due' envelopes (incoming) left in my mail box,, I asked my real carrier if I have to drive all the way into town to go to the P.O. or can I give him the money...
.. ( all 3 letters postage due was under .28cents.. He said, ignore it..that it is more of a hassle and he does not want to have to carry or make change for a few cents... kiddingly (I hope) he said the Postage police are not going to knock on my door..
How ever, fair is fair.. and I want to do the right thing,, thank goodness we are a very small town with only 3 people who work in our little P.O>, so I just drop of the money when I am in town.

That increase on postage is one of the main reasons I have cut back on participating in swaps.. which is a bummer,,, as I sew enjoyed them..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  2:50:42 PM  Show Profile
That’s really sad what the post office is doing now.
It is one way to discourage people in sending packages in the mail!
Sad!

Hugs
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Feb 22 2024 2:52:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2137 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2137 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile
I mailed 3 ATCs spread out evenly across the envelope and the postmaster made me pay extra even though it weighed less than an ounce. Another time I made a fabric postcard and had to pay over $4 because he said it was a small package; it also weighed less than an ounce. It's depressing when you have to pay more in postage than the value of what is mailed.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  3:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Postage rates seem to be at the discretion of whichever postal clerk you get. My fabric postcards usually go for just one regular stamp (not postcard rate), but sometimes they want to charge like smal package. I am with Grace - that's one reason I do not participate in many swaps.

If I owe postage due, please let me know so I can settle with you!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 22 2024 3:19:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Mary Jane, thank you for your input. It helps to know all of that.

Linda, I agree that it might be sometimes at the discretion of the postal clerk. I've seen enough of what I consider to be inconsistency to believe that.

I will continue doing what I can and hopefully be wise about what postage requirements there will be .

Thanks to all of you for your input!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9251 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9251 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone and the cheapest you can send anything ground advantage is still over 5 dollars.

This is also why my swap packages are not like they used to be and why I don't participate or host as often anymore. Sad they are making it so difficult.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you girls, If I am mailing anything in a package, I always have it checked by the postmaster at the friendliest post office in Longview. There is 5 different ones, but these ladies are awesome. It has been a shock to go mail a package these days. But my farmgirls are worth it.
So same goes for me, if I mail you something and you have to pay extra postage, please let me know and I will take care of it.
Thanks, CeeJay and MaryJane for you input with this.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
www.etsy.com/shop/markiebuck
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4333 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4333 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  6:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Thats terrible CeeJay! And sad for you as well as your sender! I love my po gals, finally. They are great not only to chat with, but they help me with all my packages and envelopes. Some I even question "are you sure?" Then they double check. I would hope and pray as farmsisters here, some for a very long time, we would not hesitate to be notified from.anorher farmsister if postage was due. I know we are fond of one another enough to never hesitate to cover our debts! Me included!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Me as well, as I know anyone one of you would do it for me, that’s the MaryJanw way!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Please let me know if I owe you any money for postage. To my knowledge, it’s happened once, but my farm sister reached out to me. :) I was just thinking about the lack of new swaps being posted. :( It makes me sad…I love to send happy mail. I do all my mailing from home using a food scale and then paying and printing the labels. So please, reach out to me if I owe you money. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  8:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't fault the sender of the card I got, I think that the post office it originated from was the issue.

I recall that I sent a card to my daughter that was a little thicker and I had put extra postage on it. About a week later it was returned to me for postage due. I called our post office and they told me that it made it to Albuquerque, NM and then that post office decided to send it back here for more postage.
I live in southwest Colorado, rural community and our mail goes to Albuquerque for further sorting . . yes, weird but that's the way it is here.
Our post office and my mail carrier were both mystified and apologetic.
Fortunately she got the envelope!!

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 22 2024 8:22:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  9:18:34 PM  Show Profile
I have a great Post office in Loleta, great people!
The Postal Service is the issue.
They keep raising the prices and slow the mail.and they may be raising some prices again soon. Like the letters!
They have done this before.
I am still in the swaps no matter what! I love my Farmsisters.
I have never had any packages come from anyone with Postage due,
I think it depends a lot on where your post office is too!

-think the Government doesn’t help this.

Hugs. and love and I am still doing the swaps.
Love you all!

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1615 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2024 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile
I just saw this. This has happened to me also. With postage due and the envelope was torn up bad enough for our p.o. put it in a clear envelope with apologies. It almost took a month to get it. The mail is so slow and can be costly. Thank you CJ and Maryjane for all the input. Love my farmgirls. Please let me know if I ever owe any of you postage due.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."
Sister #8572 6/9/2023
FGOTM- July 2023

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2024 :  1:43:07 PM  Show Profile
The post office has a website that lists all of their products and services and prices.
Give you an idea of what your mail is going to cost.

Hugs
Darlene

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

BeckyT
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Rebecca
Byhalia Ms
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  10:38:41 AM  Show Profile
I just had a very disagreeable encounter with my local post office this morning. Not only could she not comprehend a Canadian post code but just to send a $10 box( their box) she was going to charge me $35!!! That’s ridiculous! For something weighing less than a pound? I came home and found the postal code on line myself and it was exactly the same code my Farm girl sister sent me. Smh

Trust Jesus

Farm girl 5171
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
A good website I run packages through is pirateship.com. Seems to do better pricing than what you get at the counter at the post office.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Pirate ship.com?
I will have to look that up!
Thanks
Darlene

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1124 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  4:04:27 PM  Show Profile
I always go to the counter to assure that I have the right postage for cards, and always let them do the weighing for boxes. At our post office, it depends on the person and the mood they’re in that day. Once when I had a combination of cards and packages, I already had stamps on the cards. I asked them to check one that was a little thicker, I already had two stamps on it, but he said, with an attitude, it would have to be considered a package. He charged me $4.75 to mail that card!! The next week I had a stack of cards that were the same as that one, so I took them in to be checked. I had put three stamps on them this time and this lady said I actually had too much postage and only needed two stamps, but I had already put stamps on it. I agree that my Farmgirl sisters are worth it no matter what. What concerns me is that even though my P.O. says two stamps are enough, but then my recipient is charged extra because her P.O. says it’s not enough!! Please please let me know if this happens, I will gladly reimburse you.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month: Aug/2022

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  10:54:12 AM  Show Profile
We were at the post office today. We were told a regular postage stamp is going up 7 cents in June. Stock up on forever stamps now if you can!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
FGOTM May 2023
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  12:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Another rate increase? Already? They just had one not too long ago. Wow!

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4913 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4913 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Postage Going up again!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Issues with Postage and Postage Due Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page