Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bobbin winder recommendation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bobbin winder recommendation Next Topic  

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2023 :  7:33:48 PM  Show Profile
I’m thinking of getting a bobbin winder for my daughter for Christmas. Do any of you have recommendations for a good one? Or thoughts on those that should be avoided? Thank you so much! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4137 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4137 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  02:23:35 AM  Show Profile
That could be a handy tool to have.........I don't have one. Good luck finding a good one!

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3028 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3028 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know there was such a thing! I think that would be a great gift, but I don't have any advice for you, obviously LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Karen,, I have one,, I bought it at JoAnns Fabric 2 years ago.. $24 and I used a 40% coupon on the purchase.. Walmart (use) sell them too. don't know if they still do..

Mine is by Simplicity,, and is called a SideWinder.. it works both with electrical or batteries.

The Pros and Cons.. ::
Pros: it comes in handy so I don't have to stop in the middle of a project to wind a bobbin..

Con:: it takes a minute to properly thread the device, it's not real fast (like the sewing machine)
Kinda flimsy,
I find that I have to keep my hand on the thread to get it to wind evenly on the bobbin.

All in all,, was it worth the $15 I paid (after coupon).. yah, I guess... would I buy it again at the $24 price? probably not.

It just depends on how you use it.

A lot of times I will load several Bobbins with thread before sewing,, and yet, there is that one project that requires the small amount of bobbin thread color change.. uugh!

Oh and though it's suppose to be universal for Bobbins,, I notice a couple of my Bobbins don't work well on the SideWinder,, they just don't sit on the spool pin properly..

Just my 2cents worth..
As a Gift,, I think it would be nice,, kind of the thing you won't splurge on yourself but appreciate as a gift...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I am sending these photos separately, having issues with cell-Wi-Fi connection.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh,, and it does notr accept my Singer Feather Weight Bobbins... the hole in the bobbin is a tad to small.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7451 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7451 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I am on my second SideWinder; my first one broke - I think it fell off my table. I am using one I got from my cousin now. I like it so I don't have to remove the spool from my machine or unthread it. I try to wind several at once (white, black, or grey). It would be a good gift if you use a coupon. I've used it for quite a while.

My featherweight bobbins fit fine, Grace. I don't know why yours won't fit. I don't think it will work on the larger diameter metal ones from vintage machines, though.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 14 2023 2:01:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Grace and Linda! I appreciate the advice. I will jump over to Amazon and read some reviews to see if that helps. Hugs! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4137 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4137 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  05:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I have so much experience with sewing for a while after I run out of bobbin thread. Duh...... Since I don't have one, I think the key is to take the time to wind extra bobbins before you start sewing. lol Which I don't do either. (got to start though) Mixed reviews on how well they work, that is so helpful to know. Thanks.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bobbin winder recommendation Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page