Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 It's 2023 - let's finish those UFOs (or PhD)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic It's 2023 - let's finish those UFOs (or PhD) Next Topic
Page: of 15

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I like calling my UFOs PhD (Projects Half Done) because when I tell someone I am working on my PhD it sounds more important. I have so many PhD and I'm always finding (starting?) more. Most of my projects are fabric related - that is my media of choice.

Post a list and when you finish a project you can add the date and post a picture. We all like to admire the talents of our farmgirl sisters and encourage others to complete their projects.

How many projects can you finish each month? Let's try for 2 a month. Maybe you can do more?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I'll sign up for this. Here is my list:

1) Make a rug out of t-shirt yarn and process the t-shirts when I need more yarn.
2) Finish mending Lowell's winter coat - all that is left is the lining and I need to repair it so that it doesn't rip out.
3) Finish a granny square cardigan - all the squares are made. I have to make the sleeves and the back and then sew it together.

Happy finishing!

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for joining in, Marie. Nice PhD on your list. I am thinking of making a granny square cardigan using an afghan my mother made years ago. I think I'd enjoy wearing it. I have the pattern for using an afghan and how to cut it, but not sure how I will sew it together, since it would be hard to match the older yarn. The background is beige yarn. Maybe there would be enough around the outside of the afghan to use?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 04 2023 12:43:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My initial list is starting like this -

1) Finish 9 Microwave Bowl potholders that are cut out and half finished. Finished a total of 48 in April
2) Make 2 Selvage Christmas Tree Wall Hangings. 1 DONE in Jan
3) Make Mavericks dish drainer quilts and other items from leftover fabrics. DONE in March
4) Finish 3 Teacher print fabric wall pockets that are cut out. DONE 2/2/23
5) Make 2 blue plaid flannel snap scarves. DONE 1/8/23
6) Make 2 magenta/beige flannel snap scarves DONE 1/19/23
7) Make 2 blue/green flannel snap scarves
8) Make 2 plaid flannel snap scarves. Done April 2023
9) Cut out 36 12-1/2" squares and make 3 Raggedy Ann/Andy quilt tops - ready to go to the longarm quilter. DONE 1/23/23
10) Make 4 Halloween Placemats - have all fabrics needed.
11) Finish Blue/white Tree tablerunner
12) Finish knitted sweater (started at least 12 years ago).
13) Make scrubbies to finish up the remaining scrubbie yarn.
14) Finish red knitted triangle shawl. DONE 1/11/23!
15) Finish kitchen towel boas that I've had the towels and fabric purchased for for months. Done 3/12/23 and more in April and 6 more in July
16) Make 2 Christmas Cloth books Done March 2023
17) Make fleece bath cover up.
18)
19)
20)

Longer Term Quilting UFOs (and I know there are more than these)
1. Sew borders on quilt top for guild swap project - DONE 1/5/23
2. Finish Mavericks baby quilt as soon as I get it from the longarm quilter next week. DONE 1/14/23
3. Sew binding on 10" square Christmas quilt (blocks from one of the 10" square swaps I hosted several years ago).Done April 2023
4. Sew binding on king-size Christmas quilt made with swap blocks.
5. Sew binding on Polka Dot House Block 2 quilt that has been on my bed for 2 years.
6. Sew binding on queen size Christmas quilt made with swap blocks.
7. Finish Crooked Courthouse Steps quilt top and and give to longarmer at guild meeting.Done 1/12/23
8. Finish sewing themed row quilt top (from a guild Row quilt swap several years ago).
9. Finish "House Block 3" quilt top.
10. Finish "Envelope Block" quilt top.
11. Sew binding on scrappy large throw - pattern is squares with a diagonal piece in each.
12. Sew binding on Selvage/selvedge "Library" quilt.
13. Finish Red/White Broken Dishes pattern quilt topDone July 2023
14. Finish House Block 1 quilt top.
15. Finished childrens quilt March 2023

I just know I will be adding some smaller PhD in between these larger projects and I also know they will not ALL be done in 2023 unless I turn into superwoman. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 11 2023 3:08:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited for this thread Linda! I really need to complete as many of my UFOs as I can. I also plan to work on my UFO merit badge for this as well. I made my list this morning of all the UFOs that I have and I separated them into 2 groups. The UFOs that I have started and the ones that I have everything for but haven't started. My lists are super long and also contain projects that I have been trying to make for some fellow Farmgirls lol, so I wont share the list, but I will share them once they are complete. I have a total of 48 UFOs combined between my 2 lists! I am really going to shoot for the 2 projects a month and fingers crossed I can complete more than 2. I pulled out my easiest UFO and will work on it tonight. Hopefully the next time I am here it will be complete!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  3:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for joining, Krista.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 04 2023 3:26:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  3:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm happy to see that our group of PhD completers is growing. I hope to see more here as the year progresses.

I also have more than 1 list, Krista. For some I have the fabric and no pattern, the pattern and not sure what fabric to use, some things started (like my quilts needing binding), gift items to make, possible swap items to make, etc. At one time I had more than 125 on a list. That was so overwhelming that I got discouraged and didn't finish very many. A more workable list that I can check things completed on is much more manageable.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile
I will definatley be watching and admiring... I may committ... my intent is to always complete UFO's and PhD's, but we'll see what this year holds. Sometimes... life has other plans.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  6:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Count me in, Linda. I will post my lists tomorrow. :) I need to make them!! Lol

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile
I currently have 94 UFOs on my spreadsheet. I did find that spreadsheet. It was hiding. I know there are more in the basement. The list includes things like sorting kitchen drawers, updating account records and stuff in the planning stage. I can only handle 3 at a time. I don't have much craft space.

SHEESH Linda! That is ambitious.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  7:46:53 PM  Show Profile
I will get my list together and post soon, this will be the year to follow through.
“The year 2023, will set me free”

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOO HOO! Glad to see more joining us. Can't wait to see all the finished UFOs and PhDs.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  03:32:30 AM  Show Profile
Off the top of my head I have 4 Phds to start/finish. My socks, that I am decreasing for the toe, a 10 min table runner that needs decorative stitching, another table runner we call oh my gosh I want to start, and quilt squares that were given to me to make something out of. I prefer to keep my list small and add to it as I go. Easier for me to finish up.
Let the crafting commence. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  05:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! My first UFO is going to be my list of UFO's... There are so many. I will try to get it together this weekend and post. (I think I'm a little scared of what I'm going to find) LOL

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes to start working on a problem, we have to admit that we have one -- like too many UFOs.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL - so true, Marie. And I admit - I have a PhD and UFO problem.

Should we start a UFO/PhD anonymous chapter?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 05 2023 08:40:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WooHoo! PhD #1 done - I updated my list and here’s a picture. It needs a good ironing but folding and refolding just wronkles it more. Lol!

Now I’m going to try my luck making a snap scarf, since I’ve had the fabrics for years! If one us as east as it sounds, i may make all 8 I have fabric for, but i don’t have all the snaps I will need.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 05 2023 12:11:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Very pretty, Linda!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Love the quilt Linda! Congratulations on completing your first ufo.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  3:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, everyone. I like how it turned out. I hope its new owner does, too.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  4:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Love the quilt, Linda! Congrats on getting the first one off the list! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile
My first PhD finished tonight . i sat down after supper and said i am going to get these done !! the quilt is beautiful also!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  5:55:47 PM  Show Profile
That’s got to be a good feeling, Michelle! Those are beautiful socks!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  6:38:22 PM  Show Profile
. I was inspired after finishing my socks and I went to my sewing machine and figured out a decorative stitch. Finished my 10 minute table runner. I want to find two gold buttons yet and put on it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  6:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Great job, Michelle!! You have two projects marked off the list! :)

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  6:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats, Michele! Another PhD bites the dust. WOO HOO! We are off on a zip line! I love that tablerunner pattern; I've made several of them over the years. They are not quite 10 minutes, but they are very easy. And congrats on finishing the socks. I need to get some more hand knit socks - I love them when it is cold outside.

BTW: I made one of the flannel snarfs (snap scarf - one of the names for them on Pinterest) all except for the snaps. It was SO SO EASY!!! I am going to make the other 7 soon and get them out of the way. Even with the snaps, they won't take much more than 15-30 minutes. (I may adjust that time when I see how long it takes to get the snaps on with the snap pliers. LOL!

The link for the snap scarf is https://www.deliacreates.com/leather-flannel-snap-scarf-tutorial/ And I make mine 72" with no seam, not 90" like the pattern says. I'll update if I change.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 22 2023 09:22:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic It's 2023 - let's finish those UFOs (or PhD) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page