nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  10:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you use a vacuum sealer for freezer foods? I'm looking into getting one and was wondering if there's something to look for or avoid when picking one? Is there a brand that's better or worse than another? Any tips for using them? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I know my mom uses one. Let me reach out to her and see what she has to say.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather we have had a couple food savers over the years. Then we spent a little more money and got an Avid Armor. All will seal things up. I do really like the avid armor the best. It has a plus seal which is a nice feature. We have used it for two years now and no problems. It did come with additional seals. I should say we did get seals on the last food saver, under warranty, which was nice.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have and use a food saver and I love it. I use it all the time. This Avid Armor that Michele is talking about sounds interesting.

We use our Food Saver for a lot of things. If I am sending books or magazines to my friend, I vacuum pack them, so the pages won't get tore up in the mail. My DH uses it for parts (screws and bolts) on projects he is working on that will take a while, so they won't get lost. He also uses it when shipping things.

I have even used it to vacuum pack clothes, so they do not take up some much space in a suitcase.

And of course, food for the freezer

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  04:40:59 AM  Show Profile
We have one from Cabela's. We bought it specifically for freezing food. We buy chicken from a meat store in bulk and re-package. The only problems we have is when the edges of the bags get too wet. We wipe off 1" or more on the cut end to make sure it seals all the way across.
It's worth the investment. I haven't done a price comparison with zip freezer bags but the advantage is you can buy a roll and get the size you need.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  10:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input ladies! I wasn't sure if the cheaper ones worked alright or I should save up for a more expensive brand. I have not heard of the Avid Armor - I'll look into them, but it sounds like a food saver is a good place to start :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

JennRap
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Jennifer
Sonora CA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2023 :  8:44:50 PM  Show Profile
My Dad bought me the Food Saver brand last year and I love it! I make my own dog food and it's perfect for packaging it up and freezing. Works great for bulk food from Costco too. A very handy tool!

Jennifer Rapoza
California - Idaho bound in 2023! <3
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic vacuum sealer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page