Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Apple Giveaway for Apple Festival 2022-WINNER!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Apple Giveaway for Apple Festival 2022-WINNER! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile
As September inches closer and we kick off our annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF, I am offering an Apple Giveaway to add to the fun.

If you are interested in tossing your name into my Apple basket, leave me a reply here and tell me what your favorite snacking apple is.

The sign ups go through August 31 and I will select a winner on September 1st.

I will start this off by saying that two relatively new apple varieties have become my favorites. They are KiKu, Diva, and Evercrisp. Currently these apples seem to appear here from orchards in New Zealand. All three are crisp, crunchy, sweet, and great eating apples. They seem to always be in bags and are more of a medium size. They also hold up well when cooked which makes them useful as well.

I am excited today to announce that Krista, MaryJanesNiece, was chosen our winner of the Farmgirl Apple Festival Giveaway for 2022. Congratulations Krista and I hope you enjoy all of the little surprises and apple goodness !!

Thank-you everyone for joining in the discussions here and making it a fun post to read! I always enjoy your comments and stories. We all have some sort of apple experience in our lives. Apples are so common and also essential to a standard healthy option to eat . Plus there are thousands of recipes using apples to enjoy!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 01 2022 08:45:12 AM

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile
I love cut up apple dipped in caramel, just so yummy! Hope we will get these new apples here in Oregon, I will keep an eye out.
Thank you Winnie for the give away.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for giveaway, Winnie!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  11:43:01 AM  Show Profile
I love snacking on Rome or Gala apples. I love the great mix of the sweet, tangy and tart.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, thanks for hosting this giveaway. I'm not signing up I just like being part of the Apple Festival. My favorite apple is the Granny Smith. My favorite way to cook it is with sausage and sauerkraut.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  3:50:28 PM  Show Profile
My favorite snacking apple is McCoun, also called Black Mac. Sweet & juicy.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  7:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Rome Beauty for eating and Granny Smith for cooking. Apple crisp and pork roast with sauerkraut and apples. Last year I discovered Arkansas Black and I'll try and get a box of them this year; they were good keepers..

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  8:32:10 PM  Show Profile
What a fun give away!! :) My favorite apple is a honey crisp. We have a tree in our yard and also have a Granny Smith apple tree. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  06:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,
Thank you for doing this. Good Girl.
I guess I would say A Gala sounds good.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1116 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1116 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  07:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Just for snacking I used to love Red delicious, then I discovered Gala, but now my favorite is Honey crisp. For cooking I look for Romes or Granny Smith.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie! Apple time is always happy time! Thank you for hosting this sweet swap again!
My favorite snack apple remains the good ole fuji - always a favorite! Although, we discovered a couple new varities last year as we visited hood river, but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I'll have to refresh my memory when we go again soon, and I'll share at that point! :-) I'm looking forward to making my crock pot applesauce again to freeze - OMG! AND, I found an apple sauce with maple syrup last year at hood river and another OMG - that was absolutely wonderful, we ate it right from the jar like candy! Soooo decadent. I'll be splurging on more of that this year as well!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome everyone who is tossing their name in my apple basket! It is always fun to me to hear what others have for favorite apple varieties. There are so many choices these days at the grocery store or locally at Farmstands. I make it an effort to try every new apple I can and then record it in my little apple tasting journal. It is helpful to refer to when I start seeing certain varieties reappear and I can then review my notes to see if I want to purchase them again.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, as we all know, Europe is well known for their Wines and Beers,, but,,, did you know that in Norway they are known for their hard apple cider?
Apple cider with a kick! Lol!

I had lunch at the little German Deli in Spokane yesterday and had a bottle of apple cider from Austria,, oh my it was lovely and crisp tasting, no sugar added. The crisp taste of apples just with a hint of fermentation. Oh I felt like I was back in Europe.

We have 1 grafted with 2 (varieties unknown) types of apples tree that were planted by the original owner… unfortunately (though we don’t mind) the deer are rooting around and eating the apples and lower branches.
We don’t mind, we pick and feed apples to our neighbors horses.

As for my fav variety,, probably Gala, small and crisp.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

Edited by - katmom on Aug 16 2022 09:46:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

JennRap
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Jennifer
Sonora CA
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  12:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh what fun! I'd love to be a part of this drawing please, Thank you Winnie for your generosity!

I actually live right behind an apple ranch which has a hard cider tasting room. Indigeny Reserve is a popular destination here in the California Gold Country. A really cool bit of trivia is that years and years ago my father in law who was an insurance agent had the property insured and the owner approached him about needing someone to help him plant some apple trees. My hubby was a teenager at the time and volunteered to help! So it's fun for us to say that he planted the trees that are now famous for their apples which become the hard cider of Indigeny Reserve. If you're interested you can check out this beautiful destination at www.indigenyreserve.com
Oh, my favorite snacking apple is Granny Smith! I'm getting into the apple mood even today as I'm making apple pork chops for dinner in my instaPot! I got the recipe on Pinterest and it looks so good! Hope it tastes as good as it looks online. :)

Jennifer Rapoza
California - Idaho bound in 2023! <3
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  6:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for doing this Winnie.

I like Fuji (I hope I spelled it correctly) and Gala. I like to eat them for a snack in the afternoon, sliced and then put some peanut butter on each slice it is so good plus you get a little boost for the rest of the day from the protein of the peanut butter.

farmgirl sister #5766
Sheila
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  9:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer... YUMMM!!!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  12:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace, yes I am very familiar with hard apple cider. One of our grocery stores sells large bottles of it and it mostly comes from northern states. It is delicious and refreshing. When I went back to my home town of Charlottesville back in 2015, they have opened a new place right outside the city where they grow heritage apples known to be favorites for apple cider. Then they process them similar to grapes when the make wine. In their tasting room, you can purchase a sampler of what is for sale and they were all so different. What I also learned is that apples that make great cider are usually not the eating and cooking apples we see in the stores. Oddly enough cider apples are often very sour, but as they ferment, they sweeten to various degrees and that is what gives each batch of cider its unique taste. Also cider is usually a mixture of several varieties which also produces the different flavors. hmmmmm, I sure wish I had been with you in the little German deli for lunch! Sounds like a great place for authentic german favorites!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  1:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace I know what you mean! When we visited Norway we had lunch at this cute little mom and pop shop and they had amazing apple cider! It wasn’t a hard apple cider. But I remember it was the best apple cider I have ever had. Would love to go back just for another glass.

My favorite eating apples are Ambrosia. They are best ones I have found to date. One of my favorite recipes is crock pot cinnamon apples. So easy to make and a super yummy treat. I will use any apple I have around to make that recipe.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2022 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
I like honey crisp apples the best. Apple crisp, apple cider,apple cake and hot apple fritters and cold apple sauce are favorites. Oh also apple butter on warm bread.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2022 :  03:42:00 AM  Show Profile
I have had German apple wine it was so good you thought you were eating a apple with a little kick. I was going to try to make it but was nervous about it because the bottles explode easily while they are becoming wine. I have made fruit wine before. O there is also a German schnapps that is apple. It would be good in some hot mulled cider.

Sheila
Farmergirl #5766
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2022 :  03:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Krista,

Where can I find that recipe for the for the crock pot cinnamon apples? that sounds yummy, I use my crockpot all the time for meals.

Thanks,
Sheila (VT Oma)
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2022 :  11:55:56 AM  Show Profile
While cleaning out a drawer I came across my cordial recipes. For those of you who imbibe, if you make this now it could be ready for Halloween.

Apple Cordial

1 lb apples cored and sliced (don't peel)
2 C sugar
2 cloves
pinch nutmeg
peel of one lemon
2 C vodka or brandy (better fruit flavor with vodka - use the cheap stuff)
Put everything in a jar and set in the sun for several days.
Strain and filter. Age 2-3 months

Have a happy Halloween!

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2022 :  2:21:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree Sheila, apple anything is really a favorite around here. Can't wait to go picking and make all the goodies. I am especially fond of apple butter on toast.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Judith, I think I will try that Apple Cordial, I made a cherry one a few years back, it lasted all winter, we don't drink much but on those cold cold winter nights a small cordial glass is nice.

Sheila
Farmgirl sister #5766

'Perform as Much Good as You Possibly Can' - Nichiren
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  5:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Don't drink much, but may have to try this.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2022 :  5:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love apple butter! Any good recipes for that?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Apple Giveaway for Apple Festival 2022-WINNER! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page