YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  04:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Went out to water this morning and the okra looked half dead. Between the heat and city water it's hard for plants to thrive now. Not only is there a lot of chorine in the water it's hot even in the mornings. Right out of the outside tap the water is hot. I'm about ready to pull the okra up and put it out of its misery. Oh, how I go on before I have my morning tea.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Sara - Sorry to hear of your okra's struggle! I had to pluck out my cabbage. It was attacked beyond saving.

April - I'm not sure exactly what it it, but try neem oil. It's organic. We get it at Lowes.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile
We have finally been getting rain. Short bursts, but it is adding up. sorry no ideas to help with bugs. Dish soap does alot, so maybe give it a try April.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2022 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile
I pulled up my okra this morning. All the plants lost most of their leaves since yesterday morning. My sister pulled up her yellow squash and tomatoes plants. The young man who mows my lawn said his neighbor who has a large size garden pulled it all up yesterday. Seems like most gardens in Paris are burning up. But there is hope my great nephew has started his fall garden and so fall his seedlings are thriving. Don't understand how seedlings can survive the heat where mature plants can't. My sister is talking about sowing zucchini for a fall harvest. If I plant anything this year it will be MJF garlic for next July harvest. Also, come fall I will plant yellow tulips in a large container to bloom in the spring. Even in trying times gardening gives us hope for better times to come.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2022 :  03:40:49 AM  Show Profile
I hope you got some okra, before it expired. Fall garden sounds like a good idea. Tulips will make you smile in the spring time.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2022 :  05:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I did get one skillet of fried okra and one pot of okra gumbo. Not much to show for all the work and watering. I am looking forward to the tulips next spring. I did it a couple of years ago and they were beautiful.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2022 :  6:16:09 PM  Show Profile
checked my garden tonight. Everything is looking good. Zucchini is about ready to pick, a head of cabbage is ready, some small broccoli. Peas have pods, beans are blooming. Tomatos have fruit, along with tomatillas.. Potatos look good too. Excited that things are progressing. Got a flat of new jelly jars, hoping to can salsa verde in them. Picked a cup of wild raspberries and even black caps. I hope I can find 3 more cups to make jam. They are few and far between though.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile
The kids and I collected 4 zucchini, 3 bell peppers, a handful of carrots, 2 onions, and my first beet this morning. I’m going to make some more lemon zucchini bread with the zucchini and use the carrots for dinner. Not sure what I want to do my beet yet though.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Beets are delicious fried in butter with a little salt on them.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile
My container garden is not doing as well as I would like. The zucchini plant took forever to sprout (that should have been the first sign) and now something got to it and it's dying. My yellow squash plant ... the leaves are turning weird. At this point not even concerned about it.

My German cherry tomato plant took forever to flower and still no ripe tomatoes. My Roma tomatoes are prolific, I'm just waiting for them to ripen.

Oh, and my beautiful sunflower got eaten by Mr. Bad Squirrel .... chewed the flower off the stem and ate the center.

As much as I love gardening, not sure I want to do this again next year. I was so looking forward to fresh squash/zucchini. Sigh!~

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 17 2022 07:13:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  07:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Carole, most people I know who planted tomatoes have pulled them up because they aren't doing good this year. My sister's yellow squash did poorly. No rain since July has my container herbs on the eastside of my house just hanging on and the 100+ temps make it worse. Plants on my deck are faring better since they are in partial shade.

Come next spring when the seed catalogues start arriving in our mailboxes our hope will be renewed, and we'll began again to dream of our beautiful gardens. That's what I like about gardening there's always another season or year. For now, I'm just hanging on to my peace and belief that rain is on its way and what I plant this fall will sprout and bloom next spring. As Michelle would say "happy gardening" and that thought keeps me gardening year after year.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2022 :  02:45:48 AM  Show Profile
My garden is doing ok. Needs rain, but holding its own. the rain has been going around us all summer. Tomatoes are being picked as they turn a color. Something is chewing little bites on them that are close to the ground. The little buggers. Corn is ready to pick tonight, carrots should be dug anytime. I picked a basket of grapes to process into jam and the rest go to juice. I have more to pick yet. Finished crab apples last night. I use their juice for pectin for jams and jellies. I tried canning pineapple, got 2 pints from one. I want to open one and see how it is before I do anymore. Good luck with your gardens. Happy Gardening! lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2022 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
It's been raining for about two hours now - beautiful rain - not a hard rain but a steady rain. My prayers have been answered and hopefully there's more rain to come.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2022 :  3:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Today I put in my order for 1/2 lb MJF soft neck garlic and 1/2 lb MJF hard neck garlic. Excited to order it this year, I missed ordering last year. I did plant MJF garlic the year before and had very good luck with it. It made the best ground garlic for my use and gifts.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2022 :  02:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Hope more rain is in your future. We have chances this weekend. We still need rain too. Garden is winding down. Wanting to get it cleaned out now. Cows get the corn stalks, the rest goes into compost. Got a few tomatoes and tomatillos out there. Garlic planting time is coming. My garlic was mostly good this year. I had some that did not survive, and some that did well.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2022 :  07:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Michelle so far looks like no rain our way until next month. I'm hoping and praying the Good Lord will change that. Hoping rain comes your way too. I know your cows appreciated the corn stalks.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2022 :  12:17:01 PM  Show Profile
We're still in a drought but a small chance of rain later this week.

Planted 1/2 lb each of MJF hard neck & soft neck garlic this morning. Thank goodness for my raised beds so I didn't have to bend over. After I water the garlic one more time I will mulch with leaves. Leaves have been falling since Aug.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2022 :  1:20:33 PM  Show Profile
My garden is slowing down now. The zucchini has really slowed down in its production.I have almost all my onions harvested. All the beets are done. Just still babying my pepper plants and eating the carrots. I also haven’t been watering much. It’s crazy how the gardening season is already coming to an end.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2022 :  02:23:11 AM  Show Profile
My garden is done now. Just have to finish cleaning it out. Lots of goodness canned and froze. Picked apples last night. Will get some of those in the freezer and will have enough to make a few batches of cider. I have one more batch of onions to dry. For a dry year the garden did pretty good. Thank goodness we have heavy soil, to hold any moisture.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2022 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Everleigh and I collected some bell peppers yesterday and I was so pleased with how many we got. We picked 15 green peppers and 8 orange peppers. I shared some with the next door neighbor and then used some of the others for stuffed peppers for dinner. They are so yummy!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2022 :  5:25:39 PM  Show Profile
You grow girl!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2022 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon! I have never felt so proud of myself with my garden! I’m hoping to have this great of success next year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2022 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
The landscape contractor hubby hired talked him into a watering system which I am slowly replacing. I now have 6 raised beds made by Vego. Metal, totally organic. 17" high, 2'x8'. The landscape guy put in pipe system under the beds, right down the middle. Then attached a soaker hose in a circle. He failed to straighten out the hose and it's over 5 yrs old and doesn't bend, also too long. Didn't do anything about water pressure so the hoses act like sprinklers and the veggies I planted died before I found about fixing. Needless to say the guy has been fired for this and other items.
I am now installing components of the Snip and Drip system. Anyone have experience with this?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2022 :  08:20:54 AM  Show Profile
This morning I planted 20 yellow tulip bulbs in a round galvanized tub that zinnias were in earlier. In the spring the tulips will be lifted by the time to sow the zinnias again.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2022 :  09:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Sara! Sounds like a good plan.
Sylvia those beds are so cool! I may need to save up for those. I love the one that is a U shape
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2022 - Our Gardens. Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page