MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2022 :  2:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Sara, it really has been an off year. Even my my father in law is struggling.

Sharon, thank you. That is very true. I am grateful for whatever I can get this year.

I examined my raspberries yesterday and seen quite a few buds. I’m hoping for more than I can eat so that I can make some raspberry jam. So far no squash bugs! Hoping to keep them out this year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2022 :  11:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Monsoons here again today . . . how novel. I feel like I'm living in Mississippi again. Pretty sure our garden is kaput for this year -- it drowned !!!
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2022 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I,myself, had to go purchase some vegetable “starts” today as mine (the ones I had painstakingly nurtured for weeks), succumbed to the wind once planted in our garden. The sight of my babies perishing was heartbreaking, but I knew that just giving up was not the answer for me. Along with the newly purchased “starts”, I also sowed more seeds direct. Time will tell. My hussband reminds me that each year is somewhat an experiment. And so we grow on . . .
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I was playing around in my raspberries and pulling all the weeds out of them and guess what I found? Mint! Somehow this mint managed to transport with my raspberries and start to grow. It takes me back to my childhood when my grandpa used to grab it out of the garden. I sure love the smell. I would like to transplant it out of my raspberries to another place in my garden. Anyone know how to do that?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2022 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Be careful with mint! At least where we live in Michigan, it can become invasive quickly. I plant seeds ( you could probably dig up a clump);in pots in my herb gaden to keep the root system contained.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2022 :  1:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Krista, Sharon is right about mint being invasive. I keep all of my mints in containers. When you dig it up be sure there is enough roots to support the size of the mint. After transplanting keep it watered so the soil is moist but not soggy. Once established mint is an easy plant to grow.

If you allow your mints to flower keep the different kinds apart because they can cross pollinate and muddle the scent & flavor.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2022 :  10:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I have been working my garden really hard for the past month- getting things planted in the vegetable patch out back and renovating my flowerbeds. My ex put pea gravel in my flower beds and I always hated it. I have been getting rid of it and putting in mulch and planting so many flowers to help the bees! I think my lavender from last year is finally going to bloom soon, and the honey suckle I planted this year is blooming again!

I had some bales of alfalfa that got moldy so I have been using that as mulch around plants which they seem to love! I am also working on making the vegetable patch a no-till garden. You put down cardboard and then keep 6-8 inches of organic matter on top of the cardboard. My compost heap is getting pretty big and cooking away. I turned it a few days ago and was able to harvest a little compost from the bottom so far.

We have been converting to digital records at work, so we have been shredding a lot of paper. I am taking home huge trash bags every day and adding the paper to my vegetable patch and compost heap. I’m really excited at the progress I am making! For years my garden area was completely devoid of worms, but I am starting to see them coming back!

This is my first year trying to grow potatoes and they seem to be coming up nicely after a bit of a slow start. I’m hoping they produce well.

I feel like I am constantly running out of time, though. I go out around 6am in the mornings and do about an hour’s work planting and weeding, laying much and shoveling more pea gravel out of the front beds. Then at night I am usually doing another hour or two after work and most weekends I put in a good 4-6 hours on the yard and garden. I’m hoping to get everything settled soon and get into maintenance.

Oh and I just ordered some of MaryJane’s Iris’! I can’t wait to get them! They smell amazing and have the most beautiful colors!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2022 :  06:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Alee, you have been busy in your gardens. All of your hard work should give you a good crop. As Michelle says, "happy gardening".

With our hot temps I am watering the okra and zinnias every morning. I moved a hanging basket of lantanas out of full sun in the front yard to partial shade on the back deck. Even lantanas can't take full Texas sun without some relief.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2022 :  07:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Since I do not have a lot for a garden, this year I am attempting to container garden. So far I have the following

cherry tomato - German variety
Yellow squash & zucchini
Roma tomatoes
Jalapeños
Egg plant

and a variety of herbs.

Every morning I go out and tend to the pots, so far so good!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2022 :  07:30:24 AM  Show Profile
Carole, I have been container gardening for years and like it. Enjoy yours.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2022 :  11:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sara- I can only imagine the heat you are going through right now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2022 :  1:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara and Sharon. My dad said the exact same thing! Would explain how the mint came over to my house from his yard with the raspberries. What I dug up isn’t looking so good. I guess that is fine. I will just need to put it in a pot next time to help keep it contained. My dad did say there is a really good chance I’ll find more in my raspberries though.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2022 :  04:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I have chocolate mint in a 5 gallon bucket that I took the bottom off and buried it in the ground. It does stick out a few inches. I do watch it and trim it off as needed. Otherwise it will flop over the edge of the bucket and root. Takes off from there. It is also in an area by itself with grass around it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2022 :  1:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Gardening is a struggle this year. We are getting lots of moisture which is wonderful!!!! However we are also getting a lot of hail. My poor plants are getting beat up pretty bad!!! Is there a way to protect against hail that will not cost me an arm and a leg???

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2022 :  3:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee!!!!! Good to see you back!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  03:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Yippee, last night after work my husband helped me to finish off weeding our garden. My mother in law gave us her mantis tiller, so that will be put to work next. Getting the last of any remaining weed roots, hopefully. Right now it looks like we might get some rain today finally. One thing, tall weeds are so much easier to pull then small ones, and it really looks like you accomplish something. haha

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  05:26:15 AM  Show Profile
My gardens are all holding their own with the summer heat and no rain.
Some of the container plants that call for full sun I have had to move to partial shade and water every day. One elephant ear leaf was scorched on the edges before I moved it. This time of the year I start thinking about fall and the cool air out of Canada as it blows out of Oklahoma across the Red River into Paris, Texas. That's what I'm waiting on.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2022 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile
hope you catch some of those breezes Sara! The picture of it made me smile.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2022 :  05:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Michelle thanks for the cool wishes but don't think it is to be. Looked at the forecast for rest of the month and no rain in sight till the very last day of July and only for that one day.

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2022 :  2:56:46 PM  Show Profile
So dry here also in Northern MI! And much hotter than usual. Gardens are struggling right now. But, as usual, the weeds don’t mind and are thriving :)! Gardening: love it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  5:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Same here Sharon. We are super hot with high winds and no rain. I’m hoping my garden will survive this next week. My weeds are definitely thriving as well. I wish they would struggle.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2022 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile
I have been watering my garden every few days now. It does look good. Went through and weeded it this morning with my stirrup hoe. Picked two tiny broccoli. Tomatoes are on the vines and tomatillos are also. Little zucchini out there too. Planning on making some salsa verde with the tomatillos. Got to research when to pick them, as I never grew them before.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  12:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I was able to pick 2 zucchini and about 2 handfuls of peas last night. Also picked off about 23 squash bugs. The marigolds don’t seem to be helping. I may have not planted enough. I feel bad for those who have a ton of squash plants. Keeping up with those bugs is a lot of work.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

160 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  6:33:37 PM  Show Profile
It has been very hot this year, so far. Garden is gong great but the container plants need to be watered twice a day to survive!

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  11:29:15 PM  Show Profile
Our summer has arrived finally, fast and furious. 90-100 degrees this week. We are also having to water twice a day to keep up with the heat. I harvested herbs this morning and am drying. Oregano, parsley, sage. Went and bought new little air tight jars for them today. Will label and attempt to get my pantry organized pretty this year. I'm finding tiny little white sticky bugs on my squash plants this morning... trying to keep it organic, does anyone know what I can use to keep those bugs away? Does that dish soap and water solution work?

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2022 - Our Gardens. Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page