YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2021 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I guess it's time to start talking about our garden plans for the coming year. I received two seed catalogs today or should I say wish-books. Seems like I do a lot of wishing then I get real and choose the plants or seeds that I can actually manage or afford. The catalogs are Baker Creek and Willhite, a Texas seed company. This time of the year there's nothing better than a seed catalog in the mail.

Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2021 :  5:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I got the Baker Creek today. Those sunflowers on the front are KILLING me LOL. I have to stop myself!! Last year I think I placed like 4 orders with them which was basically a contribution to their company as my garden never got off the ground. Work always busy then. This is the time of year when I am dreaming of that glorious garden! But I think I need to take inventory of my bulging seed box and administer a bit of restraint this year (no guarantees though HAHA)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2021 :  6:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Happy dreaming ladies. I have not gotten any cataloges yet. Though i usually don't order seeds, humm that could be why. lol Enjoy.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2021 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I actually placed my order with Bakers Creek the other day. Time to really get in the planning mindset! It is going to be a great year!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2021 :  04:22:44 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, hopefully you're get something in the ground this year. I tend to hang on to seeds long after the time they will sprout.

Michelle, I order less and less every year but so far I order just enough for them to keep sending me their catalogs.

Shannon, happy planning and may your garden be the best ever.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2021 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile
I don’t get any seed catalogs since I purchase seeds from a local store here. But I have already been thinking about what I want to plant. I do know that I will do about half of what I did this year since my hands will be full. But I also plan to focus more on what was successful rather than what I struggled with this last season. No no watermelons or broccoli for me this next year lol! I’ll just purchase them from the local farmers instead!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2021 :  08:45:32 AM  Show Profile
I always dream of way more than I have room or time for. This year I'm hoping to find a spot for a pumpkin patch. I've never grown them before, but I saved some seeds. I don't think they're too hard to grow - just take up a lot of space. I also want to try more herbs - what are your favorites?

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2021 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile
I like to grow rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, basil, parsley, and several different mints. I have a container bay tree that I keep pruned back because I winter it over inside. All of my other herbs winter over outside. Basil is the only annual I grow.

Hugs, Sara

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 31 2021 09:23:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2021 :  1:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I loved my pumpkin plants. I sadly lost them to squash bugs but I’m going to try again this year and really hunt those bugs down.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2022 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Sara - your parsley overwinters? I have to replant mine every year. I thought it was an annual! I haven't grown sage before but I usually have all the others you do plus chives. I want to look into and grow some herbs for medicinal uses (salves, syrups, etc) and some for teas.

Krista - my mother in law is retired and we share a garden. She makes it her mission every summer to go out several times a day and get those bugs LOL! It's a full time job :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2022 :  6:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Krista, plant LOTS of marigolds around your squash plants! They repel those nasty bugs and more!
Sara, I love and grow those herbs plus dill and fennel for the swallowtails and monarchs. I also like growing lemon balm and lemon grass! :) Some of my favorites!
I've gotten my Bakers and have an order ready to place, I sure hope thy have my seeds. Floret listed theirs yesterday and have already sold out of the bergamot and a couple others. I made the mistake and bought from Tractor Supply last year, tight wad me, and NOT ONE SINGLE SEED came up in the 8 packets I bought. Grrr.....time wasted more so than money. Had to order them after nothing came up in several weeks....

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2022 :  02:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Heather, so far it overwinters under leaves. I have so many leaves from my huge oak tree and my neighbor's tree that they cover my plants without me having to lift a finger.

Dianna, I have done the same thing to save money. The problem with buying seeds from stores and not seed companies is you don't know how the seeds are stored or how old they are. One year the seeds are good and than another year they are not.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2022 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have an extra garden for her to protect if she wants lol!

Thank you Dianna! I will definitely remember that. Any help I can get will make a huge difference.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2022 :  2:32:40 PM  Show Profile
I know I posted this "somplace" last year. But it's just too good to not read again. I wish I had written it instead of "Anonymous" . . .

This Year’s Garden
The seed catalogs are arriving in masse and I’ve been pondering my garden plans. Perhaps I planted too much anger and resentment last year. So, this year I think I’ll replace them with some tolerance and patience. I really could use some more enthusiasm too. So, I will add a little extra this time and plant it next to the hope. I have always wanted to cultivate a sense of humor tree, and I have the perfect spot in between the laughter and lighthearted expressions. It will offer them a little shade from the sarcasm and cynicism plants which can be overwhelming to their more sensitive neighbors.
Perhaps I should thin out the fears. I really don’t need very many of those. And, you know, I never really liked the frustration – it’s so invasive. I think I will replace it with harmony. I didn’t care for that variety of judgment either. It’s casting a shadow over the kindness. It does complement the blame, but the other plants that are near it are not doing well. I will move them both to that far corner and be sure to keep them pruned back. I should probably move the criticism back there as well.
A person could never have too much peace, so I will order twice as much this year. I will add a couple more varieties of love and put them right here in the front, so that I can smell their fragrance whenever I walk past them.
There. Now I can place my orders. This catalog says that if I place an order of $20 or more, they will send me a free good will bush. It would look so pretty tucked in between the peace and the harmony.
Now if spring will just hurry up and arrive. I’d better not wait though. I’ll start those seeds right away. I’ll begin them inside, to give them – and myself—a good start.

Farmgirl hugs and Happy Garden Planning,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2022 :  2:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Jean: Can’t wait to see pictures of your garden this year! It will be awesome . . . And will be a blessing to all !
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  4:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Dianna, do you basically boarder the whole squash plant in marigolds? Or just a few here and there?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Jean I love your garden plans. A good read for everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I just plant a row of them next to my squash and then plant a companion plant next to the squash and another companion plant and then another row of marigolds. So like every three rows or so between veggies. PLUS, the added benefit are not only for the pollinators but you can also dye with them! The color is gorgeous!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  5:23:52 PM  Show Profile
INSPIRATIONAL Jean!! Thank you!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Love it Jean!

Dianna - what color works best for dye? I'd love to try it! Last year as I was peeling beets I thought I should look into using them for dye.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  6:32:14 PM  Show Profile
I think my cosmos and marigolds dye the deepest and last the longest. Vegetable dyes like onion and beets are colorfast and don't last long and wash out quickly. :) Of course I tend to favor the orangey colors anyway. But if you want a bluish or deep purple then try Hopi sunflowers or a weed type plant called Woad.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2022 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Dianna! I have not looked into dying at all. I just figured the way the beets were staining my hands that they would make a good dye. I'll have to look into the Hopi sunflowers and Woad (I've never heard of that one!) because purple is my favorite color. I like bright colors like yellow and orange too. I tried planting some cosmos seeds last year but we had a terrible spring and none came up. I've planted marigolds many times. I'll just have to look into making dye. I'm pretty sure it'll earn me a badge too!

Is anyone in a zone where you're starting seeds or planting outside yet? Next month is when we start green peppers here - they take a while!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2022 :  2:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Woad is an aggressive weed Heather so if you buy seeds make sure you plant it in pots and pinch the flower heads before they go to seed. Lots of people probably have it in their yards already and don't even know it! ;) unfortunately we didn't, I looked EVERY WHERE! But I did find more wild plants i didn't know we had! It was a good study on wild flowers and weeds. Goodluck on your badge! Its so fun to learn new things and try them out!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2022 :  2:04:25 PM  Show Profile

This is where I get mine, Heather. Growers Exchange

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2022 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dianna! I'll check them out.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2022 :  1:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank you Dianna! That really helps me know how I will plant my veggies this year! I’m really looking forward to their help. I haven’t ever tried to dye with them. I’ll have to look into that.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2022 - Our Gardens. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page