Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Earning my Intermediate Music badge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Earning my Intermediate Music badge Next Topic  

KyriaRae
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kyria
Carthage Texas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  2:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Part of this assignment is to share what I've learned, so here you go!

Composer: Igor Stravinsky was a Russian (later French & American) composer, pianist and conductor. He composed more than 100 pieces during his career, including operas, ballets, concertos, sonatas and symphonies. I picked his song called Ragtime to listen to and was fascinated to hear something that sounded like classical trying to break out into ragtime.

Musician: The 1920s are when jazz and blues became popular, starting a move away from the more classical music. The first great soloist of the 1920s musicians, Louis Armstrong's legend rose because of the New Orleans style jazz that strove for a more collective sound with all instruments playing in harmony.

"The first rule of growth is that you can never rise above the opinion of yourself." Peter Sage

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Kyria! I absolutely love jazz music. I especially love to have it playing in the background while I'm cooking in the kitchen. It's so relaxing. There is an amazing jazz club on the river in Brisbane that we like to visit. Louis Armstrong is a legend!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

KyriaRae
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kyria
Carthage Texas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2021 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile
G'day Cindy! Lovely to hear from someone Down Under! We live right on the edge of Texas and Louisiana, north of New Orleans about 6 hours, but that's close enough to get some of the New Orleans jazz influence. Check out Sue Foley on YouTube. You might like her music, too!

"The first rule of growth is that you can never rise above the opinion of yourself." Peter Sage
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2021 :  3:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love Louis Armstrong’s Christmas songs!! I will be pulling those out soon. Congratulations on finishing your intermediate level! Keep up the great work.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  5:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kyria, I had a look at Sue Foley as you suggested - wow, she's pretty amazing on the guitar!! One of her songs reminded me of "The Waifs". They're an Aussie Rock Folk band that I love. You might like to check them out too.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2021 :  03:55:52 AM  Show Profile
I will have to listen to Ragtime. There are so many types of jazz that it can appeal to everyone. My favorite jazz musician is Keiko Matsui.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4718 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4718 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2021 :  06:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Well done Kyria! Thanks for the background information about Stravinsky. We are big classical and jazz fans here. My youngest son plays the violin in his senior high school orchestra. We listen to WFMT classical music and WDCB College of DuPage jazz stations both in the Chicago area. On Saturday's the jazz station plays old recordings from the 1920's on plus from 1-4 they play old radio programs. I enjoy all kinds of genres of music. Have fun earning your badges!

Dawn in IL

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." Emily Bronte
Go to Top of Page

KyriaRae
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kyria
Carthage Texas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2021 :  06:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all, Ladies, for your replies! Music is a big part of our lives, isn't it? Before my kids were grown, we played music as a Gospel Bluegrass family band. It created some really good memories.

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Earning my Intermediate Music badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page