Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Fall Gardening: What do you have planned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Gardening: What do you have planned? Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  09:31:55 AM  Show Profile
I started seeds for my fall garden about 10 days ago. Late, as usual, but hey, that's okay. If we get a mild winter, it will be fine. So far, I have: Red Acre cabbage, Goliath broccoli, Snowball cauli, Lacinato & Black Magic kale, Sweet Spanish onion, 2 kinds of bok choi, Parris Cos lettuce, lettuce mix, spinach, Dutch Flat cabbage, He Shi Ko bunching onion (new to me), White Lisbon bunching onion, Chinese Pink celery (new to me), Chijimisai greens (new to me), White Vienna kohlrabi,and Lettuce leaf basil (I'll pot that one up and bring it inside).

I mostly use leftover plastic trays from things like salad mixes, mushrooms, etc. instead of Jiffy pots/traditional seedling pots. I put those on a mini greenhouse that I got at Tractor Supply. Each level, excepting the bottom, has 2 linkable grow lights that I got from Wal-Mart. All in all, the cost was about $80. It works well, as long as I get the lights very close to the plants (like about 2" away).

So what's everyone else doing right now in the fall gardening world??? I love ideas!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, the only thing I will be planting this fall is MJF garlic for next summer's harvest. It should come available by the first of Oct. I hope to fill two of my raised beds.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  3:22:46 PM  Show Profile
I am fascinated with fall gardening---but when I try it always fails. We harvest until frost and I am tired of it all by then. But I love the idea. Would love to learn how to fall garden here in WV> My grandfather was a real old dirt farmer and sold stuff and he never fall gardened--so I never learned. Would like to try a high tunnel---I think that is what it is called and grow greens and things.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I didn't get MJF garlic, but I did order some Sicilian Artichoke garlic from Wilhite Seed (in TX). I'm excited to try something new. I usually just plant some grocery store garlic because that's what I can find locally. Garlic is fun and easy to grow!

Barbara, fall gardening is definitely an art and every year is different. That being said, start this year! Why not? :D I started with the tunnels but now I have raised beds with criss crossed wire that I put plastic over. Now, you are in a very different growing zone that I am, but you sure can grow stuff through the winter. I read "Four Season Harvest" by Eliot Coleman; he was in Maine and still had greens that he grew through the winter. Last winter was so mild until we had that crazy February freeze. Even so, most everything I had under the plastic/heavy blankets made it. I was surprised. I don't know that we have ever hit zero degrees in my entire life.

Most people here do not do fall gardening, either, which is a real shame since SO many things prosper through our winters. Gardeners seem to mostly focus on spring plantings with summer harvest. I find that growing things like broccoli/cabbage/etc in the fall eliminates the pests that are so abundant in the spring. Here's a nice calendar for your area: https://extension.wvu.edu/files/d/99343661-dff6-4106-9b4d-cd6be816439f/wvu-extension-service-garden-calendar.pdf

Looks like now is the time for spinach, greens, onions, and the like!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  10:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, in the past when I had a garden I ordered seeds from Wilhite; always had good luck with their seeds. Now I plant in a few raised beds or containers.

I too have planted grocery store garlic with good results.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2021 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile
I mostly do raised beds in fall, since I can cover them. But things like onions/garlic will go in my open area. I'm so ready for some RAIN> Thought we might get some last night but no. Ugh.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2021 :  09:50:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm north of you in northeast TX and we need rain. Feels like we are in a drought again.

Hugs, Sara
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2021 :  4:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Amanda---thank you so much for your info---it will help me much in my area of WV. I have some left over kale seeds and I am going to try a very small patch this fall. Thanks so much for taking your time. I do appreciate it for sure!!!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  5:35:47 PM  Show Profile
We did a 2nd planting of carrots & some watermelon radishes. Harvesting carrots from under the straw or hay in winter is so rewarding-they are SO sweet!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  5:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, well, the only thing I am planting this Autumn.. is my butt in the comfy chair and getting caught up on my reading... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  04:08:21 AM  Show Profile
I did have lettuce planted in my raised bed. Go out to pick it one day and the deer had ate it off. I pulled them last weekend. The deer are not going to eat any more of it that way. Dirty buggers. Got to fence everything in, if you want anything.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  10:05:07 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

We got a little rain last week, but it is SO DRY....I had to rake a little dirt in the orchard and I'm not kidding when I say that it fogged up the entire yard with dust! HORRIBLE.

Barbara, good luck with your kale! I hope it works for you!!!

KatMom, HA! That was me this summer. I didn't do much gardening. Just wasn't in the mood.

WindyPines,isn't that annoying! You learn quickly that deer and squirrels (and gophers and moles) are NOT your garden friends. :( Hope you can get another crop going soon.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Gardening: What do you have planned? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page