Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Winnie's Apple Fun Surprise box!WINNER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Winnie's Apple Fun Surprise box!WINNER!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Every year, I love to put together a few apple themed goodies to give away. If you want some apple goodness and fun, leave me a post below and list your favorite apple and why you like it the best. A winner will be selected September 19.

I am excited to announce our winner today is Becca, becsbecaw,of the Apple Fun Box!! Congratulations Becca and I have emailed you for your mailing information. Thank-you everyone who joined in the fun and left some great apple stories and what your favorite varieties are and why.

This week, a friend brought me some apples down from North Carolina. One variety was the familiar Granny Smith and the other was Wolf River, which was totally new to me. Wolf River is an early fall apple that is mostly used for baking and drying. Like Granny Smith, it is very tart.

I took the opportunity to make an apple pie from them which was really good!

Here are what they look like. Granny Smith is Green and Wolf River is a beautiful combo of yellow and red.

I have several favorite eating apples: Envy , Wild Twist, and Fuji. I like a crispy, firm, and somewhat sweet flavor for munching alone.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 19 2021 08:04:21 AM

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Please sign me up Winnie, I love your Apple give always.
I love the Honey Crisp Apples as the are bigger and sweeter:-)
I too have never heard of Wolf River Apples, the name is so unique!

Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Sep 16 2021 09:43:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, please put my name in your apple basket. My favorite apple is Granny Smith which I use to can apple pie filling. Thanks for hosting this fun event.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  11:08:33 AM  Show Profile
My favorite apples for snacking are honey crisps and galas! The cider mill down the road from my house sells them and also does U-pick - so apples are a fun fall tradition for us!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  12:15:47 PM  Show Profile
I love all the apples that aren't mushy LOL! I don't think I can choose just one. I just tried a new one called Ginger gold. They were the first ready at the orchard and are supposed to make good applesauce so my in-laws brought home a bushel. They tasted OK but were not as crunchy as I like. The sauce is good though :)

Thanks for hosting this giveaway Winnie! Whenever I see apple things I think of you.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2021 :  1:40:21 PM  Show Profile
My favorite apples are ambrosia and gala apples. I love sweet apples. I won’t eat green ones because they are way to tart for my liking. I also like hard and crispy apples rather than soft and mushy ones. I am very picky about my apples. I even examine them to make sure they are not soft before I buy them lol! The kids and I actually took a special trip to the store today just to get some gala apples to dip into caramel. We had some with lunch and it was delicious.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2021 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Back when we could eat apples raw it was the hard and crispy ones I liked best. Many days my brown bag lunch was a big green Granny Smith and a hunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese. My past favorites were Pippins and Rome Beauty but I can't find them anymore. My son planted an apple orchard of several varieties. The trees are starting to bear good and I've been granted picking rights. I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down enough to spend a day harvesting.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2021 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,
How nice of you to do this surprise box. Lets see, I believe a Granny Smith, I like the name
and the apple.
Hugs Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2021 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I am enjoying all these apple comments! Thanks for sharing even if you are not entering the drawing. What would an apple festival be without Farmgirls to share their favorites!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  3:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie, I'm still stuck on the Fuji!! Just love the taste and texture for fresh eating, pair it up with a string cheese and I'm happy gal!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  4:36:31 PM  Show Profile
April,I love Fuji apples too! They are a very predictable performer and always good as an eating apple. Today I bought some new Macintosh apples that came from New York. They are small but absolutely delicious in that juicy tart way.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile
We are hoping to get to Hood River, Oregon in the next couple weeks, the fruit loop has farms and fruit stands, picked and u pick GALORE, and a few wineries to boot!! AND, it's absolutely beautiful scenery!! Love that trip each year!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  09:26:53 AM  Show Profile

Hi Winnie!!! Please put my name in the apple box!!! I like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith Apples. And I love fried apples with any kind be of pork!!! I remember as a child we had apple trees and it was such a treat to go pick them up. Of course we had to fight the yellow jackets but what sweet fun memories being with my family!!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  12:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,
So nice of you to do this. My favorite apple for eating is Granny Smith but I also enjoy Empire and Rome. I also like to use the Empire for drying. For baking I like to use tart apples and a sweet or too mixed. I never met an apple I didn't like!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  2:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,
My favorite apple is Macoun. Also called black mac. It is so sweet & juicy! When I'm making applesauce and pie I like a mix of apples. I go to the orchard and ask for mixed seconds.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2021 :  1:19:16 PM  Show Profile
I made a diabetic friendly apple cake yesterday with whole wheat flour, carbalose, and erytherol. A little heavy due to the flours but quite tasty anyway. DH said use more apples next time. I agree, but told him I used what I had.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  08:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Becca. Enjoy your apple surprise box.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  08:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you all for being a part of the Apple Festival fun this year! Your comments for this giveaway were interesting to read because it just demonstrates how diverse the apple fruit can be. There are literally thousands of varieties of apples and depending on where you live, you might only find a few different kinds to choose from. My best experiences with learning about apples has come from being able to go to a northern state, (apples don't grow in Florida), and go to a U-pick orchard. Most of the time, these orchards feature varieties that we don't see in supermarkets down here but they are often some of the best apples out there for eating, pies, applesauce, drying and cider making. We just never hear about them unless we can go to such a place. When reading about apples and all the many recipes that are created just illustrates how beloved and useful this fruit is in our everyday lives. Not to mention that there are apples to appeal to everybody in one way or another.It is hard to say that about other fruits as much, except maybe citrus. Living here in Florida, we have access to many delicious varieties that may or may not ever make it to most grocery stores. And like apples, when you can find a U-Pick citrus farm, you will usually find these lesser known varieties that are wonderful. Plus all U-pick orchards allow you to pick the fruit when it is ripe and at it's best for whatever you wish to do with it. Most fruits have to be picked a bit green for shipping and holding up in the grocery stores. In my experience, this often diminishes the flavors somewhat. Apples suffer from this process as well. How many times have you eaten an apple that has no taste? Or a peach that is sour or pithy inside? I know I have more times than I care to think about. One wonderful trait of apples is that there are varieties that ripen late in the season which are able to be stored well for many months without compromise. Our early American settlers depended on this storage aspect in order to have some fresh fruit through the cold months.

I hope you are finding some new season apples now showing up in your grocery stores and putting a bowl of them out on the table for beauty and healthy snacking. I know I have been doing that the past two weeks as more northern varieties are now filtering down to us in Florida.

Here I am with my daughter 2 years ago at a U-Pick orchard near Asheville, NC.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Hooray for Becca!!
Thank you, Winnie for such a fun swap!! You're always so generous, thoughtful and creative!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  1:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Becca, Winnie’s Apple packages are the best!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Becca!

Winnie,
I found a new variety today that I have never had or heard of before now. It's called Autumn Crisp. A firm, crisp apple, a bit tart and some sweet. Perfect for eating!
They had Courtland, MacIntosh, Jonathan, Jon-a-gold,there were two more but I can't remember what they were. I also picked an Asian Pear. Love those but haven't had one in ages. I look forward to trying the Autumn Crisp.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Denise, did you find the Autumn Crisp locally or was it in the grocery store? Did the bag list it’s origin? US? New Zealand? I am going to keep my eyes open to see if I can find them down here.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Becca!

The autumn crisp sounds good! My in laws are waiting for the cider before they head back over to the orchard for more apples (we can't make it clear across the state in between milking). I've put my order in for a bushel of golden delicious - I love applesauce from them!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Becca! Have fun with your u-pick fall tradition and enjoy all those delicious apples! We only have one left so it’s time to buy some more!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Winnie - I am blown away by your Apple Fun Surprise Box! I just have to say the first thing I noticed was how GOOD it smelled. Like a fresh hot apple pie straight out of the oven. The cutest bowl, a crocheted apple (I think that is the source of the delicious scent), a loomed pot holder, the cutest apple specific collection of recipes - I cannot wait to try out these! If any of the more southern farmgirls ever find themselves visiting Mid-Michigan, I'd be more than happy to connect and show you all of our local apple orchards and cider mills!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile
What lovely treasures Becca. Winnie always find the greatest Apple treasures! Enjoy.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Winnie's Apple Fun Surprise box!WINNER!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page