levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2022 :  11:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Found them. Looks like you all had a great time creating with the feedsack material. I have quilts that my grandma made with feedsack material. They have been well used and some of them are cutter quilts now.
I know my grandmother made aprons with them too as I have what was left of her aprons and still use them. They are pretty thin on the material.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 07 2022 11:23:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2022 :  12:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Denise. How wonderful that you have these treasures from your grandmother. I know you cherish them. If you remember any of your Grandma's stories, please share them with us. I am so looking forward to another go-around with a new feedsack swap. I have more patterns and ideas to share with everyone. I am re-reading Kristin Hannah's wonderful book "The Four Winds" a testament to the strength and resiliency of the women who lived through the Great Depression. And once again thinking about the mantra of the era:
Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 07 2022 12:09:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2022 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
I really don't have stories from my grandma's. I was 6 when my paternal grandma passed and 10 when my maternal one passed. My mom's grandma was busy with her bake shop stuff and we weren't allowed in the kitchen where she did all her baking for the shop. So not a lot of time was spent with her. The only thing i remember about my dad's mom was she played the piano and used to make me cambric tea, mostly milk, when we went to see her. She always had cookies for me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2022 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo!! The feedsacks that LauraBelle from Texas has donated to us for another swap arrived today and they are wonderful. I will get my swap presentation together and post on Sunday or Monday. So be watching for it, and I hope y'all will take another trip down memory lane to the days of the Great Depression with us.

In the meantime, here's a story from my brother . . . Now mind you, he is too young to have experienced those tough times, but his dad certainly did.

#8203;"I remember when Safeway would sell "week-old" sliced bread for 10 cents a loaf (10 loaf max), on Fridays.
When I was sick, my dad would always give me toasted bread, spread with margarine, torn into little pieces in a bowl, with warm milk added. He called it "Hobo stew." He said, "it was good for the stomach acid." He was right. I used to prepare for my kids when they were ill. They loved it."

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2022 :  7:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Looking forward to the new Feedsack Swap. Loved the other 2.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2022 :  03:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Jean, when you grow up in a family with three hollow legged kids and two parents who lived through the great depression...sliced bread from the store was and is still your hot dog bun, your sandwich bread, your toast and sometimes a hamburger bun!
Since my parents lived in southern California, near the naval base, until my mom was 7 months pg
With me...she loved chinese food. I can remember peeling the crust from slices of bread to make fences around my serving. It was yummy!
I never did have Hobo stew like that...but I will remember it for the future!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2022 :  03:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm also looking forward to the next feed sack swap!
Our brand new Hobby Lobby is opening soon!
That's two things to be excited about!!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Feedsack Update Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page