HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2021 :  7:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---I was so happy to get to go to my cousins great grand-daughters third birthday party. So fun and then the gifts---all lovely and smiles. Then the shock---her father gave her a real little rifle with her name on the carry strap. I was so dumb I thought it was a toy and weird for a three year old girl. Anyway---it was real and my cousin and I were appalled! The daddy said she had to kill something before she was five---start them young he said. Thoughts???---isn't this weird even for WV. Also my cousin---who is an RN---also told me she was getting covid that day. Good Grief---so much for my months of holler isolation. So want to hear you all think that gun was crazy. As Christmas Story says---"you'll shoot your eye out Kid."

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2021 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh My,,,
Barbara,, not that I am anti guns,, but a child that is only 3 years old!!! I think that dad needs a check-up to see if he is missing his brain.. And to set a rule that his child Must kill something by the time the child is 5 years old?? He seems to think killing something is more important then compassion let alone respect for nature..

Did I miss understand your cousin??? she is going somewhere so she can contract COVID,, or did she test earlier in the day and show positive that she has contracted COVID...?

Oh my stars,, what a crazy world we are living in.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  05:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, i am with you and totally shocked! How dangerous is that to put a rifle in the hands of a three year old child and there are stories every year of children accidentally shooting someone else or themselves. This is no longer the Wild West and even then I seriously doubt a parent would give a child that young a rifle.

Barbara, I have missed you checking in here at “The Farm”. I hope you have been well and just busy with summer projects outside.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  06:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for missing me Winnie and for thinking the gun is a bad gift for a three year old. Grace---I wrote that about covid right before I went to bed and was sleepy. This morning I got up and thought---what a dumb thing to say---LOL. Anyway my cousin called me the next day and said she had covid---the hospital tested her at work. She was very upset that she had exposed people---especially all the kids there. My hubbie told me he did not want to go and he doesn't know she called and told me. So far we are not sick and haven't been around anyone else. Just a few more days---Tomorrow will be eight days since I saw her. Then I will tell him she had it---he will hit the roof anyway as he has a fear of getting sick even though we have gotten our shots. Life do get tedious.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh Barbara! You have been missed for sure but I totally understand your isolation needs! I was like that too, until the hubs was traveling back and forth to Albequere for work. Happy you ate still well!

As for the rifle at 3? I think its crazy to start one so youngest I live way out in the country around a lot of these families who for generations have raised their children in the same way. Have their been accidents? Yes, but they still believe this is the way. I don't agree but it is truly crazy. Its been this way a long long time...

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara, glad you're back. We teach kids to shoot in my family but we wait until they are about 10 or so. Depends on the kid. They are also taught that they have to eat what they shoot. My son literally ate crow. No indiscriminate killing. Giving a gun to a three year old is downright stupid.

I have also been pretty strict about isolation but had to go to a funeral last week for one of DH's old friends. The memorial after the gravesite service was in a bar; apparently the favorite hangout of the departed. We stayed a polite hour. Three more days to wait and find out how well the vaccine works.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  1:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Well I am mind blown. As a mom to a current 3 year old daughter, there is NO WAY she would be getting a gun. And as a mom of a current 5 year old I would be devastated if he had killed something by now. I personally do not feel this is correct and actually quite scary. This is how those terrible accidents occur. I know every parent is allowed to parent differently but I feel this it quite out there. I stand beside you on your thoughts.

Stay healthy. I hope you and hubby can avoid catching covid.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2021 :  6:50:34 PM  Show Profile
In my opinion, 3 yrs old is far too young. No child at three years old has the reasoning skills or thought process to practice safety with a firearm. I think you are fully supported in this matter sweet Barbara.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2021 :  10:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the thoughts dear ladies---it is awful to want to teach a child to kill before five. My father died when I was just barely five and I can remember him killing a chicken and yelling at me over and over to leave and I had to stay and he killed it in front of me and I ran off screaming. I have such a fear of death and blood that I am sure it came from that----and I fear what that father will do to his little girl. All that couple wanted was a boy and I went to their gender reveal party and every one was happy when pink appeared---except the mom burst out crying and we all laughed at her---LOL! I think her dad is trying to make her into a boy! So many did get covid from that party and my nurse cousin is very sick. I am too ornery to get sick I guess---plus my Jesus is always with me ---as an old homeless guy used to say when I was young. Any way---I know I would have made a good parent as I do love children and always worry about them. Have been friends with so many kids---I can see when something is not right---but each parent has to do what they think is right. I remember my grandfather telling me that they took rifles to school at ten or twelve and they shot squirrels on the way home---but they ate them---times were hard! so I do understand the theory---just not at three!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic hillbilly birthday party Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page