AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  12:35:06 PM  Show Profile
We've all heard the jokes about zucchini. How people hide from certain neighbors who have MORE zucchini they are trying to give you. About people leaving their house for an hour only to come home and find zucchini sitting on their front porch, a "gift" left without a note.
So what to do with all this zucchini? My favorite is slice it, dip in egg then in Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Fry it up. Yummy.

Here is a recipe I found in a local newspaper probably 20 years ago. Simple but good.

Corkscrews with Creamy Zucchini Sauce
Serves 4-6
1 1/2 lbs young zucchini, diced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 pound corkscrew pasta
Add zucchini to 4-5 quarts of rapidly boiling water and cook until zucchini are tender. Lift out with a slotted spoon, reserving water. Transfer to a bowl then press on zucchini with a wooden spoon to expell excess water.
Finely chop zucchini or mash with a fork. Add butter, cream, parmesan cheese, nutmeg and pepper. Set sauce aside.
Return zucchini cooking water to a boil & add pasta. Stir frequently. Taste pasta after 9-10 minutes. Should be cooked thoroughly but still firm. Drain when done. Transfer to a serving bowl, pour sauce over top & toss. Serve immediately.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Andrea -- everyone can use a new zucchini recipe. Sounds yummy but I will probably substitute milk for the cream.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  3:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing the recipe, Andrea! My mother in law has been sharing her wealth of zucchini and squash with us this year as my plants just aren't doing their thing... in exchange, I'm sharing tomatoes with her as mine are growing and hers are not, go figure! I haven't tried the fried zucchini with bread crumbs, I wonder why? That sounds wonderful, will try both recipes!! Woot! Woot!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  03:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Judith, when I made this on Saturday I added onions and garlic. I used Asiago cheese because I had some left over from something else I had made. I'm sure milk will work just fine.

April, this is the first time I'm growing squash in 3 years. I had squash bugs so bad my plants didn't amount to anything. The break seems to have worked, my freezer is so full of shredded zucchini that I started dehydrating it!! My tomotoes are not doing so great this year. So much rain the bottom stems are turning yellow & brown. The more I break off, the higher it goes. So nice that you can trade with your mother in law.

This Friday I am driving a few hours to go to a huge farmers market. I hope to buy corn and tomatoes to can. A few years ago I bought 100 ears of corn there at a great price.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love fresh corn on the cob! My mother used to buy several ears every summer growing up and then freeze them whole... always tasted soooo fresh. I do the same thing every summer, still love it. It's so nice to have fresh corn on the cob during the winter months and it freezes so well.

I made zucchini brownies yesterday - they turned out sooooo good! My oldest was about to eat his first one when someone mentioned there was zucchini in there and he stopped, made a face and almost put it back! LOL! I told him to man up and try it, he wouldn't even know it's in there! Guess what he asked for, for breakfast this morning!? A zucchini brownie! YES, of course, I said yes!! LOL!! We have a farmers market in Bend, about 40 minutes from us I love to visit every once in a while, wish we had something closer to us... but makes it special when we go!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  1:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Andrea, my favorite thing to make with excess zucchini is lemon zucchini bread. It's more like a dessert but delicious enough to eat for any meal lol! I want to try the fried zucchini. That sounds yummy. Also the noodle recipe. I'm a sucker for delicious pasta meals!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  1:49:15 PM  Show Profile
April that is too funny! I can picture the face! Brownies do sound real good and a great way to use up zucchini. I always take the corn off the cob, takes up less freezer space. We had corn on Saturday. I rubbed butter on it, wrapped it in foil and put it in the fire we had going outside. So good!

Krista I could eat pasta every day of the week! I love it! Lemon zucchini bread sounds yummy!!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes . . . corn on the cob buttered and wrapped in foil on the grill . . . yum Andrea. Last Costco run I bought a jar of a new seasoning -- Chili Lime. I bet that would be yummy on the corn. I'll try it and let you know.
Remember awhile back we were exchanging recipes from the depression era during the feed sack swaps. Well, I just ran across this one and gotta give it a try as soon as my tomatoes start coming in which will be any time now.

DEPRESSION JAM
4 green or firm red tomatoes, shredded or sliced and diced
4 cups white sugar
1 6oz. pkg raspberry or strawberry flavored Jello

Combine tomatoes and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes. Add gelatin, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes spoon into hot, sterlized jars and seal or pour into freezer containers and freeze.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  3:28:47 PM  Show Profile
That jam sounds really good Jean. I will try that for sure. Chili lime sounds really good too. I don't have a Costco near me but I will look for for that!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  5:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow, April - your zucchini brownies sound amazing! Your son sounds a but like my husband. Would you be willing to share your recipe. I'd be keen to see if my husband would eat them!

It reminded me of a Chocolate-Zucchini Cake recipe that I have. I haven't made it for ages, so had to dig it out. My husband actually quite enjoyed this one, so maybe you could try it on your son too.

Chocolate-Zucchini Cake

2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 2/3 cups granulated cane sugar or coconut sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey, agave nectar or coconut nectar
1 tbsp orange juice or apple cider
2 1/2 cups coarsely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan and dust with flour. Whisk together flour, xanthan gum, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth and light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, honey, orange juice and zucchini.
Alternately add mixed dry ingredients and milk to zucchini mixture, stirring to combine.
Place batter in prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes (check at 45 minutes) or until cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze
To make glaze, mix together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp milk, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake after it has fully cooled.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Giggle!! Hi Cindy - I ** totally ** cheated on this most recent batch of brownies... I used a brownie mix I had in the pantry and added freshly grated zucchini to it, then my youngest frosted it with chocolate frosting! I'm sure the frosting counteracted any nutritional value the zucchini may have added - but, it was mama and son time so I let him go for it! Thank you for sharing the chocolate zucchini cake recipe - I will try this one for sure!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  9:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Great subject, Andrea! Your recipe sounds amazing!!!

April, I love your zucchini brownie recipe!!

Krista, PLEASE share your lemon zucchini bread recipe! OH MY!!! (And I love fried zucchini! YUM!)

Jean, that jam sounds awesome!

And, oh my, Cindy! That cake - WOW! It sounds absolutely wonderful!

Thank you ALL for sharing!

Okay - here's one for you girls! I created it myself the other night, but don't know what to call it. It's way too thick to be a soup, much more like a chowder, too chunky for a bisque... But..Oh..My..Stars! It was delish! I probably could've eaten the whole pot it was THAT good! A little kick of spice, a very creamy texture without using cream, and flavorful enough that you don't need to add salt! Win-Win-Win! Enjoy!

MY ZUCCHINI & SAUSAGE CHOWDER

2 sm. (or 1 lg.) Garden Onions, diced
2 Stalks Celery, Diced
1 lg. Italian Frying Pepper, Seeded & Diced
Olive Oil
2 lbs. Loose Hot Italian Sausage
1 lg. Garden Zucchini, diced
2 qts. Home-canned Tomatoes in Juice, cut up OR (2) 28-oz. cans Tomatoes In Juice, cut up
4 heaping T. Minced Garlic (not sure how many cloves that is, sorry!)
4 heaping T. Crushed Dried Basil
3 heaping T. Crushed Dried Oregano
1 Heaping T. Dried Thyme
2 c. Almond Flour
1 c. Grated Romano Cheese
1 ˝ c. Grated Parmesan Cheese
Hot Sauce To Taste (like Frank’s or Sriracha)
A large 8 qt. soup pot

Add olive oil to lightly cover the bottom of your soup pot. Saute the onions and celery. When onions are almost clear, add in the peppers and cook for 2 minutes more to soften. Remove from pan. Brown the sausage in the pan. Drain lightly, if desired. (I do not use a very fatty sausage, so I did not drain soas to retain the flavor.) Add in the zucchini. Cook together about 10 minutes until zucchini starts to soften. Return onions and celery to pan. Add cut up tomatoes and juice, minced garlic, basil, oregano and thyme. Stir everything together to blend well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 20 mins. Stir in almond flour and Romano and Parmesan cheeses to thicken. (This makes it really delicious and creamy! Yum!) Add hot sauce to taste, if desired. I do not add salt, but you can add that to taste as well, if desired. Enjoy!

I also really love just sauteing sliced zucchini with fresh diced tomatoes, sliced garlic, diced onions and fresh basil in a little olive oil. SUCH a delicious dish on its own or as a side. Just so garden fresh!

I haven't done this in years, but I used to slice zucchini in "spears" then put them in a jar in the fridge to marinate in homemade Italian dressing. SO good as a snack or a side.

And, of course, grilling big slices of zucchini with just olive oil, and a little salt and pepper - SO good!

I also love making and canning pineapple zucchini in chunks or shredded... Super easy, and a great substitute for the canned stuff in recipes or in salads. You really can't tell except for the fact that the chunks aren't stringy! My husband loves it!

Finally, our all-time favorite is homemade stuffed zucchini...SO so so good!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  5:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your recipes ladies. They sound so good! I will be trying them for sure.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2021 :  07:31:32 AM  Show Profile
I have been canning Zucchini Pineapple. It tastes just like pineapple and I use it in any dish I would normally use a can of pineapple. Super easy and very yummy. Gif plus is it uses a lot of zucchini.

Zucchini Pineapple

16 cups diced zucchini
64 oz. bottle unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
3 cups sugar-I only use 2

Put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into jars, evenly distributing the liquid and solids. Seal and process for 15 minutes. Makes 8 pints.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2021 :  1:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the recipe Julie! I've heard of this but never found a recipe. I love pineapple so I will try this.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Zucchini Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page