CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah!! Fall is my favorite time of year. I know it is only August, but it is coming! To me once the kids go back to school after labor Day it is Fall even if it is still hot!!

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile
For all of you Fall fans who, like me, are sweltering in the heat everyday, we just have to make-do with whatever the weather is outside. Come September 1, I am bringing out my fall decorations and start putting them around here and there. They make me happy with ginning scarecrows or a ceramic pumpkin with a candle. Plus, the apples start showing up and we have our MJF Apple Festival all month of September so Farmgirls, we have some fun days ahead after the Dog days of August!! We can all count on that to share and kick off the season until the real color weather arrives.
I love this old Thanksgiving postcard because of the apple picking. And YES, I am thankful for delicious apples each year!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  11:07:16 AM  Show Profile

My Fall decoratimg has begun!!! Looking for some pretty new things that I haven't used before.

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  5:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Judy!! Enjoy exploring new ideas and let us know what you come up with!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  5:49:46 PM  Show Profile
I had to laugh when I saw this post. I'm still trying to figure out where July went and you ladies are getting out the candy corn already LOL!!! I'm ready for the temps to cool down but I'm feeling way behind right now. The cicadas are out here so fall is on it's way for sure - even if I'm not quite ready. I'm not the biggest fan of candy corn, but I LOVE the pumpkin goodies!! And some hot apple cider :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I know for many folks, Summer is such a wonderful time because you are not worried about freezing water tanks and bitter cold weather with the cows. If I lived up there, I would probably feel the same way and want to hang on to summer's gifts. For sure, pumpkin goodies are a favorite of many , including myself. I love a good pumpkin pie made from cooked fresh pumpkin. I also have this pumpkin banana bread that is off the charts delicious!! The cicadas are buzzing away down here too, that is if they all haven't drowned with the recent perpetual rain showers we get everyday!

Last week, we spent two days at Tugaloo State Park in NE GA. which is about an hour's drive south of the western NC border. You get to the park on more rural roads and I spied red apples hanging on trees in people's yard. Yep, they sure were! And I also found early yellow leaves from a Tulip Poplar tree and a pretty red one from a SweetGum tree. Farmgirls........Fall is on it's way and if you live in the higher elevations and not in a swamp, like me, you know for sure that Mother Nature is out there winding down Summer and winding up Fall in her measured quiet way. It reminded me that Summer 2021 will move on and be replaced with cooler and drier days. Today is especially humid so the heat index must be way up there because it is simply miserable being outside.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2021 :  5:45:35 PM  Show Profile
No fall fever for me---work and more work with canning and firewood gathering. I do enjoy the crisp air though and I enjoyed all your thoughts. I sure do see the beauty of fall and I am sick of bugs and snakes---so I guess I have the fall fever.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  05:22:21 AM  Show Profile
LOL!!! Barbara, that is one way to look at fall fever! I have these rose colored glasses on about Fall because I live down here in the Swamp and any sort of cooler weather is something we all are desperate for this time of year!!! Months and months of non stop heat, humidity , and daily thunderstorms gets really old by now. And we haven’t even reached the peak of hurricane season so more miserably hot days are ahead. I really enjoy hearing from other Farmgirls about what Fall means to them and so much depends on where you live. Good luck with your canning and firewood gathering too. I bet your LogCabin will be needing that fire in the fireplace in the near future. And those canned goods will sure come in handy once the long January to spring months march in.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2021 :  11:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Winnie and Barbara -- I agree with both of you. I want less heat and snakes. And less smoke. I want rain. I want to hike in the hills and not have to watch every step for rattlesnakes. I want to wake up in the night and have it be so cool that I pull a blanket over me. I'm tired of summer and ready for a change.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Ladies-I am so sick of fall that I could throw up. We just spent all day cleaning up the porches and cutting off flowers and trying to clean up in the wet and fallen leaves-very nasty. Bring on frozen ground - less mud for me. Fall do get nasty and tedious here in the woods. Not to mention stupid hunters. LOL and not LOL>

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1120 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1120 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  3:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Well the saying goes, “firewood warms you twice, once when you split it and once when you burn it.”
I’m here to tell you that it’s actually three times. One more time when you haul it to stack in a rack on
the back porch! We had a chilly day last week so the hubby said let’s go ahead and fill up the rack on
the back porch this weekend so we will be ready when the cool weather is here to stay. Well it was 83
degrees the day we loaded the rack. Our woodpile is quite a ways from the house and then four steps
up to the porch. A lot of steps and a lot of sweat but we are ready!!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  4:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I feel you Barbara, not just the wet leaves ( we get no color here) but especially the hunters. We are surrounded by them, across the field, next door and our dirt road attracts the rest from this small community. We've had so many deer and coyotes thrown into our creek or on the side of the road, I could spit nails. Yes, once the cooler weather sets in and we've cleaned things up I'm ready for spring. I do so love fall but it is the cooler temps, colorful leaves and yummy winter foods that make my heart happy. The rest? Yuk!
Wanda, we changed our woodburning stove to propane. But it'll you what, its quite expensive now!:0 we should have stuck to the wood!! Happy you survived that chapter! Time to move onto THANKSGIVING! Despite the darkness of what's happening there's so much to be thankful for, huh?? ;)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  3:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Ladies-I do love wood season and the fire when it is all in. Dianna-our annual fill up for propane was a thousand dollars this year-I cannot imagine heating with it. Yes-wood heat is good for sure. I cannot imagine people that would throw dead animals in the creek-so awful. I would probably get in an argument with people and get beat up. That is truly horrible. Gathering wood gives us exercise for sure. Rock on ladies.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  12:03:53 PM  Show Profile
When we first moved to the country I wasn't aware of pheasant season. One morning we woke up to the sound of gunfire. Husband was working the night shift and wasn't home yet. The kids and I cowered in the corner of a closet. I honestly didn't know what was happening and thought maybe war had broken out. Husband finally came home and thought it was quite amusing to find us all in the closet. I hated pheasant season; every years we had to pull dumb hunters out of the sand and saw their dogs grabbing our chickens.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile
This just in from a friend . . . . Oh my . . . .
Apple orchard in Ireland after a recent storm

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Woa!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Oh, no!! Such a loss for that orchard and the people who usually get those apples. They are hopefully still good for some pies.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  3:27:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, we Irish do love a spot of spirits now and again. I do foresee some serious hard cider brewing going on there.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Oct 31 2021 3:28:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile
This is unreal! So beautiful and so sad all those apple are down. You are right they will be salvaged for something. I can't even imagine this. WOW is RIGHT!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone got Fall Fever?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page