Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:17:48 AM  Show Profile
I have an unmistakable case of early Fall fever! Every year on August 1st, I am officially tired of the long hot and humid Florida summer! Now to be honest, Fall won't arrive this far south until November some time. But I grew up in Virginia in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts. and I can't get those memories out of my brain. Nor do I want to get them out!! LOL!!

The other day, I was shopping for a few sewing and crafting items I had run out of. And guess what I saw???? This is my favorite fall candy along with the regular Candy Corn. Zachary is a company in the USA so the candy is made here.

Is anyone else a closet lover of Candy Corn and these Pumpkins?? I know, I know, most people despise it!! LOL!! I do know of one other Farmgirl here who loves this fall candy too! How about any other Farmgirls?? I love to see them on my desk in a canning jar. You don't need many to enjoy because they are so sweet, but I love the way they look. A fall essential for me!

Farmgirls, if you have Fall Fever like me, jump in here and let us know if you are ailing too. You know the old saying things are best when shared!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, a little birdie told me you were talking about me. I know it just had to be me when you mentioned candy corn. Gotta love it and will buy a bag as soon as it's on the shelve. My sister gave me a pillow with a pickup truck on it that said "Where's the pumpkin patch?". I already have it on the front porch bench. I need to make a new fall banner to put on the bench.

Forgot to say your apple tree is so cute. May borrow some ideas for my little tree.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 01 2021 11:35:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes, like you I'm over this heat and humidity! Today I'm sanding my front porch, the fan is blowing full blast on me and I've developed a Phyllis Diller hair style! I am longing for fall, the colors, the cooler air, the smell AND the goodies that come with it!!:)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes Winnie, my husband and I love these! As soon as they are available in the stores, we buy up several bags of the candy corn and pumpkins and mix them up in a jar on the kitchen counter. We pretty much keep refilling that jar through November, when they start selling out. A bonus is when you can find the Indian corn, which is candy corn with a chocolate layer. I will be looking for some next time I go shopping, I didn’t realize they would be in the stores yet, so thanks for the heads up! The best part about Fall to me is when it gets cool enough to open the windows. I love this time of year when you don’t need air conditioning or heat!! When you live in the country, there is nothing better than having every window in the house open with the fresh air wafting through. We even sleep with them open!
I also had my husband remove the storm door off of the front of the house, so he could put me in a “slamming screen door”! The sound of the spring when it stretches open and then slams shut to close, brings back memories of growing up and grandmaw’s house. Some people think I’m crazy but I love it!!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  12:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh YA!!!
So ready for cooler weather..
My apples are about 2" in diameter... and the Deer have been visiting,,, oh well,, as long as they leave me enough for apple sauce.. heeheehee!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile
So so ready for cooler weather and the smell of fall but it won't happen here for a couple of months yet. I've loved candy corn since I was a little kid. I'm not supposed to eat it anymore but a few still sneak into my mouth, biting the tip off first, then the next layer and finally the last bit.
Phyllis Diller! I haven't thought of her in years.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  4:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I am glad you caught this theme and shared your love of candy corn too! It is our little secret!! Your new little seasonal tree sounds so cute and I love the ideas you have for the upcoming fall months. It is going to be adorable all fixed up and I find mine to be such a little spirit lifter when I turn the lights on at night when I am down in the family room.

Dianna, you have me howling with laughter at your description of sitting on the porch because where you live is about the same climate and you know full well how looooong Summer gets to be this time of year! LOL!!

Wanda, welcome to you and your hubby to the MJF Farmgirl group that has to have candy corn in all it's configurations every Fall!! I am excited to know that others are like Sara and me that must have it to be officially Fall!!! And I agree about having the windows open when the air cools down. I love hearing the Owls in our neighborhood talking back and forth at night. I miss them so much living in the AC! LOL!!! I started laughing when you talked about getting a slamming screen door!! Hilarious description but so true. Growing up , we used to have screen doors at our house and inevitably they would slam coming in and out. I can still hear my Dad yelling; Are you raised in a barn?? It used to make him so mad that we would bolt out leaving the door to slam shut. Your description made me think of Dad and I am sitting here still laughing thinking about those "slamming screen doors"!! LOL!!

Grace, how exciting you have apples in your yard! What variety are they? Maybe you need to dig up some tulle fabric and make some protective covers over the brach tips so the deer can't eat them?

Judith, we have so much rain we have become a swamp! I wish I could send you some so we could get a break. Things never dry out here!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  4:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Another big fall favorite of mine in Brunswick Stew. This is a true Virginia fall favorite and was created during Colonial Virginia days. Originally squirrel was the meat, but today most use chicken instead. It cooks all day low and slow and is delicious and comforting on a chilly fall day. It is routinely served at fall festivals and the annual Virginia State Fair. A typical companion is cornbread with apple butter but sweet potato biscuits are wonderful as well.

Here is the recipe I photographed from a magazine if you are interested. You can half, quarter, double or triple this recipe and it always turns out good and a crowd pleaser! I can't wait for cooler days when I can make and enjoy this again this year.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  5:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie, wish I knew what variety they are.
The tree was planted by the 1st owner over 20 years ago... Actually the tree is grafted with two types...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  5:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Anymore our Brunswick stew has to be made with chicken because I have gotten quite attached to our squirrels and put peanuts out for them.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  6:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
In my opinion fall can't get here soon enough. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  6:09:52 PM  Show Profile
AMEN!

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I am with you on chicken in Brunswick Stew! We feed our squirrels feed corn that they love too.

Grace, maybe when they ripen you can take one with you to the grocery store and see if your apple looks like one of the varieties in the apple section?

Today, I went in the grocery store to pick up a few items and lo and behold my favorite Pumpkin Spice Coffee has arrived for the season!! Of course I came home and made some and I must say, it is relieving my Fall Fever a bit!! LOL!!! Ahhh, it is the simple things in life!!

Now if only a cool front could push down into the northern part of Florida. Not gonna happen until maybe.....[possibly..........perhaps the end of September?? Some years not until late October. Some years not until November. Even if we get a few cooler drier days, it always heats back up and humidity returns. I started keeping a garden journal last year and my notes from September were that on 9/22, the first day of Fall, we had temps of 80/65. Then it heated back up and on 9/29 it cooled back with temps through 10/1 which was 85/58. Then on 10/2 we returned to hot and humid weather with a Hurricane in the Gulf. Most of October was well above average heat and humidity according to local weather station records. Hehehe, I bet this is way more info that you are interested in!! LOL!! I admit I am a incurable weather nerd!! LOL!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Winnie I’m sure keeping on top of the weather is a smart thing to do living in Florida. Wouldn’t want a hurricane to sneak up on you! My husband was a lineman for the electric co-op for 32 years, so he always checked what the weather would be because they had to work in any weather no matter what. This time of year was the worst because of the heat. Those rubber gloves they had to wear to protect them from the electricity just added to the misery.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Not "quite" yet... I'm very close, as this HOT summer is starting to take it's toll (and, I'm a summer gal!)... BUT... despite the hot temperatures still, the air changed... do you feel it? It's that fall air!! Woot! Woot!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  10:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Yum Winnie!! I went to the grocery store last week abd got pumpkin waffle mix! :) they had donut holes too but I was strong! So I went to paneras and got a pumpkin muffin!!! Lol!! Can't wait!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile

Winnie I love Fall and the candy corn and pumpkins!!! So good when you add some salted nuts and make a mixture of the three of them!!! I am so ready for cooler weather and the beautiful colors that Fall gives us...I just find a bit of sadness when the leaves start to Fall!!! I am busy looking for a few new things to go with my Fall decor and to make a Fall tree. I am in search of some small fabric Fall fabric pumpkins. I have it on the barter part of the forum in search of some...I love your ideas for this thread!!! I can't wait to read more posts from you and other farm girls!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  3:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh I can't wait for Fall!! Thank you Winnie for starting A fall thread to Dream on!
Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Winnie. No fall here for a good long time yet. We're in the 90s through September; our anniversary is on Sept. 21 and I always remember the date and temperature -- 9/19/91 and the temp was 91. It's always warm enough in October to plan on some skimpy Halloween costume, although the nights gets cooler toward the end of October and one year it cooled suddenly and caught me freezing in my saloon girl costume at an outdoor party at 38 degrees. Some years it's warm until T-giving. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we don't usually have the humidity; some rain would be nice.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  05:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh my husband and myself love candy corn. He likes to mix it with peanuts in the jar!! Yum yum I am so ready for fall too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  08:14:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm also looking forward to autumn. Enough of these heatwaves, time for cooler temps & fall colors! Unfortunately the calendar doesn't agree so I guess I'll have to be patient. Not my strong suit!

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  10:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Winnie! You KNOW I'm suffering from fall fever!! I started about a month ago, cold brewing maple nut crunch iced coffee for the mornings - oh my! I also picked up these really cute wooden, light-up jack o'lantern decorations. I shouldn't have done it, but I really wanted them. And I just saw the first bags of candy corn on the shelves the other day and it took every ounce within me not to buy one and rip right into it! LOL. It's especially hard this year because we're downsizing and getting ready to sell our home. Crazy busy with that, and it will definitely run into pumpkin and apple season! Ugh! I refuse to let it all pass by in a blur!!!

Happy Apple and Pumpkin Season to you all!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2021 :  12:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love fall. And after this crazy wave of heat and in the 100s I could definitely go for some cool weather. These last couple of days we dropped into the 80s and it felt so nice but now we are heading back up. I actually think candy corn is gross but love the way it looks. It’s so festive. It will be nice once fall is here but I hope it sticks around for awhile and doesn’t go straight to winter.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  02:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
Oh you know fall can never come soon enough for me and this year I get to experience it sooner!
On our trip yesterday I was enjoying a bottle of spiced pumpkin cider and boy did that get me ready for fall. Delicious!
Look forward to cooler days and apple and pumpkin picking. I will probably be the only one in the neighborhood decorating early for fall this year. Lol!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 05 2021 02:45:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile

Winnie you put me in the mood to get a small bag of candy corn!!! Will be so good mixed with salted nuts!!! Yum!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  4:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I went shopping yesterday and didn't see any candy corn yet. They probably don't dare put it out when the temps are still 100+.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone got Fall Fever?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page