katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2021 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile
We pulled the Motorhome out of the barn to wash it,, somehow the birds got into the bard,, in spite of my DH efforts to seal off all creviceses.(sp)..
I was checking out the cabinets when I opened the cabinet under the bathroom sink, where I sotre TP and tissues.. only to my horroe to see a 4-pack of TP and been shredded beyond belief!
Yep a mouse had gotten in to the cabinet from behind the wall..
We did a very close inspection and found no mice droppings anywhere,, so I am guessing it got into the cabinet and exited from there as well.. Thank goodness it could not get into the bedding of sofa etc..
Darn mice!!!

I bag everything up over the Winter,, and there were no sines of chewing so that is good..

But just to be safe, I am going to re-wash everything,,

Did I mention I hate Mice!?!?!?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, MICE!! They are so destructive and a nuisance when they get in and make themselves at home. Two years ago, I found signs of them in my LogCabin room and the kitchen. EWWWWWW!!! So I set traps and caught 3 of them over a week’s time. We looked and looked at how they got in and could not find any signs. Next we called out the Pest Control company we use and they went under the crawl specs in the house but found no signs of entry either. It is a mystery of how exactly they showed up but they have not returned. But I keep a sharp eye all the time in this older house because if they got in once, they can get in again. I am glad you found that your mice visitors merely helped themselves to toilet paper and did not get into bedding or the sofa!! Those little stinckers!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  10:31:01 AM  Show Profile
OMG I hear ya. I LOATHE MICE!!!!

Glad they did not chew anything!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Yep,, thank goodness that cabinet which has a small gap was the only point of entry.. Ironically,, I have both Irish Spring soap shavings and lavender pouches Every Where.. but it didn't occur to me to put something in the bathroom cabinet.. so,, guess what is in there now?? yeppers, I put 2 sachets, 1 of the I.S. soap on the lower shelf and a lavender sachet on the upper shelf..

DH put 2 mice traps in the motorhome.. just incase...

I dear them to come back!!!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  10:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. I've had epic battles with mice in the past. But last year, we had a sewage situation that had to be fixed. It's a long story, but it was an antiquated open system at the street, which we never even knew about. Long story short, after all was repaired and sealed up, we haven't seen even one mouse in the house since. Not ONE. Silver linings...silver linings!

God bless you - all of you, who have to deal with them.

Have you seen how bad they are in Australia? I would DIE.

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 10 2021 10:59:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2021 :  1:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Nini.. if I find mine... would you like me to FedEx it to you??? lolol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Nini, that was lucky to have a permanent solution to your mice problem. I was amazed at how they are able to squeeze into small spaces for entry. UGH! We also have a problem in our area with what is known as tree rats. They are regular rats that actually mostly like in the big old Oak trees. The pest control company told me that they have to deal with rat infestations all over the city all the time. EWWWWWWWWW!!! When I hear that I think, BUBONIC PLAGUE!! About 11 years ago, we had a break in the roof vent from a big tree limb that fell on the vent during a storm. The rats got into our attic space and lived there. I kept smelling this awful order coming from the opening to the attic space. When we took a ladder up there and looked, there was evidence of lots of rat poop and pee all over the insulation. It was awful. I called out the pest control and for the next 8 months we chased around this breech and that breech under the house and still couldn't get rid of them. We had trap everywhere and they were doing the job. I was ready to just grab my pillow and kitty and move out! Finally hubby was blowing leaves off the roof one day and spotted the vent break. We had it properly fixed, trapped the last of the rats, tore out the stinky insulation and replaced it before we could say, Victory! WE spent close to $2000 before we finally won over the rats! Only to have them return about 3 years ago when they got under the crawl space again and chewed through the new hot/cold vinyl pipes ,they use now instead of metal , and we had a sprinkler going full tilt under the house! That was about another $200 repair and so far so good. Ahhh, the joys of Florida living where pests outnumber the citizens!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  3:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I am so sorry. Mice are so so yucky! I’m glad they only got into your toilet paper. We actually found a mouse in our garage yesterday. Was definitely not something I want near me. We had them pretty bad when we first moved in, but they have really started to decline. I’m thankful for the wild cats living around me.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  8:26:00 PM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago we had a Marmot on our property ( like a Prarrie Dog,,, on steroids).. OUr neighbor was having some excavation work,, and I think the Marmot decided to re-locate to our property... but we have not seen him this week, that being said,,, all his little gopher cousins have been out around our newly planted shrubs... so we have to take drastic measures to eradicate them before they ate all the roots off the new shrubs... no poison,,, but the traps do a quick an effcient job...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Mint Grace. Whenever you winterize put peppermint tea bags all around the mice hate it!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  12:38:53 PM  Show Profile
That is great to know Denise! I never knew there was a good prevention that was simple like peppermint tea bags.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2021 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh! I'll have to give that a try! Thanx Denise for that tip...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2021 :  1:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh it's better if they are used teabags or you could put out chopped mint leaves. You can also use peppermint EO something to bring out the smell that is why the teabags need to have been wet and the leaves chopped. I prefer the EO on a small square of cloth.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2021 :  9:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I do have peppermint EC,, I will put some on cotton balls and tuck them in several spots that
might be potential entry spots for the mice'ies
Thanx Denise...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2021 :  7:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate mice, too. This year, our neighborhood has been experiencing way more mice than normal, many neighbors complaining and finding them in their homes. So far, they've not got past our garage, knock on wood... I would. FREAK. OUT. AND. NOTTTT. BE. HAPPY. I would have to sanitize my whole house before I would feel comfortable again. I have heard about peppermint tea bags as well, but I didn't think that would work, I will have to give that a try! THANK YOU, Denise for sharing that tip!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Mice! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page