Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Paring Down, Getting Ready for Change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paring Down, Getting Ready for Change Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  12:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

So I'm getting ready to start paring down in preparation for a future move. I'm giving myself time, of course - no rush. The doctors said give myself two years to get everything in order, and if my hubby is doing okay, start looking for a new home. When I find one, really talk it up to him, they say; get him excited about it, if possible, and make him feel comfortable with a move. Show him the house I've chosen and then proceed. Although I can't imagine doing ANY of this without him - without his partnership, without his enthusiasm, without his input and help, it's time to at least get started.

I have a big old Victorian that I just cannot keep up on my own anymore. Three floors of memories with ALL of our kids - our son and 30+ foster kids over the years - and lots of things they have left behind for me to contend with. Yikes. Most of it is in our attic, my husband's domain, a place I rarely ever visited. But I did at Christmas time last year, and backed away slowly. I had no idea how much he stored up there. I'm tired of worrying about it, I'm tired of storing it all, I'm tired of feeling overwhelmed by tackling it. I'm... just... tired. It's a huge weight literally hanging over me. Lol. The thought of getting this house emptied, cleaned up and ready to sell is absolutely overwhelming, but I'm ready to start. EAGER to get started. I WILL DO THIS. Even if I wasn't considering a move, I sure would not want to leave my son and foster son and daughter with all of this after we're gone. That'd be cruel! LOL.

Tomorrow I am meeting with a realtor to discuss what needs to be done, what my prospects are, what my options are, how this all works. God, I wish my husband were okay. I really need him to talk this through with me now, more than ever. But I can do this. I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me, after all... right? A not-so-small part of me is having pangs of sadness and it aches - so I am determined to push it down and push through. I have to be practical. Thankfully, the rest of me is resolute. I have the feeling this whole process is going to take much longer than expected (I'm already overloaded - fitting this purge into my schedule ought to be interesting!), but I will get there all in due time.

I've already made a list of furniture and possessions that I can easily part with. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it. My girlfriend suggested I share the list with friends and family since many of us have "kids" who are moving out on their own and will need things to begin their young adult lives. My son says use Facebook Marketplace, my foster daughter says use Craigslist. I have a little experience with eBay, but I don't think it's appropriate for some of my things. And, of course, I will plan a big yard sale for some of this stuff. What are your thoughts on all of this? What do you think the best way is to tackle selling some of my things - or do you think some venues are better to get rid of certain things?

The other thing that occurs to me is that properties right now are terribly expensive. The realtor DID say it's a seller's market right now, and she did say she encourages me to consider selling sooner than later. She said that she is seeing homes sell for well over asking price, and we don't even have to do anything to update our home. It's going to need a new roof in a couple of years, and I do need a new kitchen, but we've made some really great updates and renovated two bathrooms, so that should be a plus. I'm sure we will sell. Regardless, for my husband's sake, I can't make a sudden, big change. He has to get used to the idea. My real concern is what kind of place will we be able to find to suit us? Will I find what I need, what I can take care of? Will I even be able to afford a new place, or should I just pare down and stay put for the sake of new housing costs?

Decisions...Decisions... BOOM! I think my head just exploded! LOL!

I'm worried...Kind of... I'm excited...Totally. I love the fresh start that comes with a new move. I'm worried mostly about my husband. I don't want to do anything that will make his condition worse. But in reality, I am one person, and he just can't do anything anymore. He recently told me he doesn't want to fold clothes anymore, because I do it better. Truth is, he doesn't know HOW to fold clothes properly anymore. He muddles through, but a lot of times I find myself re-folding the laundry once he goes to bed. I was just giving him the duty to keep him busy and engaged. I want him to feel needed and appreciated, because he is. He used to be such a workaholic that I couldn't keep up with him! LOL! Now it's my turn, I guess. Now I just see so many things that need to be done, and I just can't do them all myself. I can't keep up. It's time. I keep telling myself it's time. Is it really time? I think it's time. Yes. It's time.

I suppose starting to pare down is step one. Always best to take it in steps, even if only in baby steps. SO, any thoughts, advice, ideas and considerations you all would like to share, please do. I really need your input. And prayer. Lots and lots of prayer. Thank you so much for being there!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 07 2021 12:35:07 PM

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I am so sorry you have all this stress sitting on your shoulders. I wish I lived closer so I could come and help you out. I don’t have much of an opinion, but I feel like downsizing your stuff regardless of whether you move or not will be a big help to you. As far as selling your things I would definitely start with asking family and friends first. Many of times someone you know is actually looking for something that you may be selling. After that I would use the Facebook market place. I personally have had pretty good luck with it. As far as a new place goes, I have no advice to give. Being able to easily sell a house sounds wonderful but I hear it’s so hard to find new places to go. I truly hope everything works out for you and your husband and that these changes are not rough on him. Good luck Nini. I hope someone else has some better advice than me lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,, I wish I lived near you so I could help you.. I totally get it... Even tho' our life is no were the same as yours,, we too are in the midst of parring down,, We want to free up our life style and make it easier for us..

Hopefully your friends, children and former Fosters will want to be gifted some of those stored memories...
Perhaps some of your belongings can go to use at a local Battered Women's Shelter....

Just know that the hardest part is starting,, but as you make headway,, you'll feel energized to continue and then once the work is done, the home is sold and you and hubby are in a new easier to maintain abode, you'll get to enjoy life in a more comfortable way.

Hugz to you on your new journey.
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  8:17:30 PM  Show Profile
(((Hugs Nini))) I wish I lived close enough to help. After my Dad passed family members and friends took what we wanted. Everything else went to GoodWill. Many truckloads. Most of us didn't live close. We spent several weekends packing and sorting. My parents had lived in that house for 65+ years so there was a lot of stuff, even though Dad had done a lot of eliminating after Mom passed. We decided trying to sell things would take more time and work than any of us had time to do. I know real estate laws vary by state but we decided to sell "as is". We weren't sure if it was a good idea but it sold for way over the asking price so that turned out to be greatly in our favor.

As your doctor said, you have two years or so. Take your time. Eliminate gradually and it may not be so noticeable to your husband and will be a lot easier on you. I will warn you that for me It was emotionally very difficult to sell the house.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  9:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Nini,, like Judith said,, it's a very emotional journey... I had to deal with my mom's home this past January... we were there for 3 months,, so many decisions to make...
Take your time and enjoy 'sharing' your memories....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2021 :  03:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Prayers to you both.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2021 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Sending you hugs Nini. I wish I was closer to help you out. Moving is overwhelming anytime but adding everything else you have going on it is daunting. A two year plan sounds like a sensible way to go. I think men tend to be packrats. Amazing all the stuff they squirrel away isn't it? There are companies that will come out to sort things and sell them for you if you ever want to go that route during the process. Take your time and go the pace you're comfortable with. Don't forget to ask for help along the way, you don't need to take this path alone.

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2021 :  05:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Nini, I do understand your new challenge. My hubby and I had to help clear out homes of both Moms and two Aunts and it can be overwhelming at times. I have no idea what is the best way to deal with this challenge because everyone’s situation is special and unique. I think the realtor may have some suggestions that will help give you some immediate steps that will help start the process. I agree that getting input from your immediate kids and family might also clarify what to do with all the personal belongings from the past.

Grace has a good point that the hardest part is starting and making progress. You sound very resolute to get this done and that is of most importance.

Prayers to you Nini for these big changes ahead. Just know there is no perfect solution and whatever you decide will be OK in the end. Take advantage of local resources that might help along the way and realize you can’t do this by yourself. You will need many helping hands along the way so embrace those who can lighten your burden because they want to help you.

Take care, NIni and know we here are sending our love and prayers in support.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2021 :  05:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Take baby steps, even if its one box at a time. I had a room designated for yard sale stuff, I just put it in there and closed the door. As for selling things, keep it easy on yourself - if you are comfortable with people coming to your house to pick up items. Definitely give your family first choice.
Praying for you sweetie.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2021 :  08:50:49 AM  Show Profile
One word of advise is to take it one box at a time. I have had to clean out my parents (hoarder) house. It is quite a job, but so satisfying when "stuff" is no longer ruling your life. We feel for you and with you. We all wish we could be there to help. If you end up posting things on Facebook or Craigs List, post the link on this forum. Maybe that is a way that we can help you from afar. Put your faith in God. "The Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint."

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog
http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2021 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Nini, I do ditto Sherone's words! Good idea, if we can't be there in person to help maybe we can ling distance! Baby steps and prayers for you both!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  10:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls! I do appreciate your desire to help, thank you! But truthfully, I think we all know that there are just some things we have to do ourselves. It will be all right. I just pray people who have stuff stored here will remove it before I have to. It's so funny how things are out of sight and out of mind. And I'm honestly not lamenting... I mean, this IS our home, so this is not going to be easy. But life is changing, we are changing, and our needs are changing. Change can be good, too! We have made a lovely life and have lovely memories in this lovely old home. I am grateful! I'm just not looking forward to the task at hand. But I can do it! I am woman: hear me roar! Meeeeeeeooooooow! And you know, I think it will be much more fun walking through the memories with my hubby now, together, while he still can, you know?

Thank you for that Scripture, Sherone! It will be in my heart, mind and prayers as we move forward - as will you! ALL of you!

Met with the realtor this past week. WOW. She was awesome with information. She also wants to list our home for WELL over what I thought it was worth. She even said she wouldn't be surprised if it sells well over asking price. Without going into great detail, she said our home is quite a gem. Talk about motivation for getting this house ready! Once the rooms get cleared out, I'm going to do a really deep clean, do some painting and a little updating, etc. I also will be having some yardwork done, and probably - gulp - raze my garden beds and plant grass; but that's ok. I have to remember it's not going to be mine anymore.

The real tough task will be getting people to come remove their belongings from the attic. Then there is the whole dilemma as to what to do with my husband's extensive train set collection that he has had since his childhood. He has expanded over the years with all these amazing custom buildings he himself made. It's a huge family treasure, a gift from his heart. Last will come tackling his garage. Oh my. Talk about wanting to close the door and slowly back away. I've been trying to get him to help me clean up out there for years. Now it HAS to be done!

Oh my, this really is going to take time. I just have to take deep breaths and forge on. I figure 365 days in a year means 365 days of one task a day and one box to remove a day (Well, maybe not on Sundays - even God Himself rested! LOL.) We'll see what happens. I wish I could get it done in a month... Then I could conceivably be decorating a new home for Christmas! But Christmas comes every year, right? ;)

One worrisome thing is that when I look at other properties for us online, they all look "blah" compared to ours, and need work. I know not everyone is a decorator, that's not the problem. It's just I won't have time to do a lot of extra work to a new home. I'm okay with a little paint and changing out doorknobs, but other than that, the home has to be clean and ready to move in. Some of the stuff I've seen - even more expensive properties - WOW YIKES. The whole point in moving is to avoid a lot of extra work. Sigh. My dad and husband were always right: I think too much. My head is going to explode. LOL. Ah, well... I will learn to enjoy the process, right?

For now, I will still proceed with my plan and get our home ready for sale. I'm sure God will work everything together in His good time. Everything will fall into place. If not, at least my hubby and I will have enjoyed reminiscing through all of this TOGETHER, while we still can, and our home will be clean and echo-y empty with a fresh breeze blowing through all the windows. I really do not wish to leave my son and foster kids with all of this to sort through. (I hear you, girls. I hear you.}

Vanessa - thank you for sharing how you did it. I think that's excellent advice that I will surely take!

This weekend, I'm hoping to get some gardening done, then the big project starts on Monday. Baby steps. "Progress over perfection!"

(Don't you all sometimes wish we were like Samantha Stevens? If I could, I just would wiggle my nose and watch everything fast forward into that desired perfection...)

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2021 :  08:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Nini, keeping you in prayer.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2021 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
I am so very sorry Nini,
When my father in law passed my Husband rented a big dumpster and 1-2 days his brother and us sister in law just kept chucking things in it if we though some one in the family would like it first that would be in a pile. My father in law never cleaned out my mother in laws stuff so that was left to us. I volunteered to have a yard sale so if it was worth to be in the yard sale it went in another pile. Most of it went in to the dumpster. it was helpful to have family help us.
;
When my mom died she lived in the south one of my sisters and I made numerous trips to the Good Will, my other sister came before and hauled out stuff. Most of the people did not want any of the furniture we had to bring some of to the good will or leave it in the house, we talked to the new owner and he said ok to leave it.

Now when we sold our house last year when the the state gave the ok for realest agents our house went fast but the new person wanted us out in 30 days we had a house we lived for about 40 years. So my husband hired some good strong teenager to help and he also used his truck to take stuff to the dump. We did not have a house to move into so we rented a trailer the ones you take camping, and stored out furniture we built our new one level small ranch. So there are some ideas the one with the teenagers was so helpful and so strong.

I wish all the best and sending some positive energy to you.

Sheila
Farmgirl #5766

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls! Really, though... I'm okay. It's a little sad, but I'm doing whatever I can to "rip the bandaid," so to speak. I don't want this whole thing feeling like a huge weight and road block to overcome. So, now I've spoken with the realtor, the bank and a few estate auctioneers, and I have a plan in mind. It's really okay. I can look at this as a heartbreaking parting with the past, or I can look at it as a positive, exciting new chapter in our future. I am totally looking at it as the latter. Change can be a good thing. Hard, yes; even sad. But when I consider all the pros of letting go, I actually feel lighter. It's even a little exciting to know that we aren't limited to staying here in Western PA! We have options. We definitely have options. I was lamenting a little bit to my son the other night and he basically gave me his blessing to do what I think is best for us, and said some wonderfully sweet things to me that made me feel so much better. I told him that I would pray and wait for the doors God opens, and when He does, wherever they lead, I will walk through and follow His footprints. What He has in store is always so much better than I can even dream of myself. He knows me best, He knows our needs, our likes and dislikes... And if earthly fathers know how to give good gifts to their children, how much more does our Father in Heaven when we ask Him? (c.f. Matt. 7:11) Right? Besides, I really don't have time to waste worrying and making myself crazy searching. Whatever is going to happen will happen in His good time, and it will be wonderful. The task at hand is huge, but nothing good comes easy!

I really, really, really appreciate your input, suggestions, etc. This whole house cleaning thing is so overwhelming. Sheila, I totally get what you're saying. We've been here for almost three decades ourselves. I am totally overwhelmed by the prospect of downsizing, but I think an estate sale or auction would be a good idea. I definitely won't be able to take all of this with us to a smaller home. As a matter of fact, a lot of our furniture is large to fit in these huge rooms we have now, and might simply not fit. I'm going to meet with a few different people to see what our options are. I want to be wise about whatever steps I take. And my husband's condition is always in the forefront. I want to be extremely sensitive to his needs in all of this. Right now, he is actually pretty positive about it. But I know at any time it could become hard for him. I just have to stay positive, upbeat, attentive, loving and adorable... LOL.. 'Just had to add that last part in for a giggle!

Seriously, though, I want to explore our downsizing options and then get going. The longer we delay, the harder it could become on my hubby. I don't want him worrying or losing sleep or anything. I just keep thinking that it is actually quite possible that last year's Christmas, which was anything BUT our usual Christmas due to the Covid crisis, could actually have been our last in this lovely old Victorian lady. I'm a little sad about that. Then again, holidays in a new home will be exciting and wonderful in their own right. I'm not sure we will be out of here that soon, but if we are, I am going to make this Christmas spectacular! ;)

Please do continue to share tips, suggestions and ideas, my sisters. I am so very grateful. And, especially, please do keep us in your prayers - especially my husband. Every prayer counts, and I appreciate them more than you know! No matter what, though, don't worry - this is really, really, really, REALLY going to be a positive experience! I'm letting go, letting God and holding onto His hand for dear life! All will be well! Change can be scary, but it also can be wonderful!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  10:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Well, girls... Have I been busy! The realtor came out yesterday, which was a great thing, and I've met with a few estate sale companies and pickers. Decisions.. Decisions.. Decisions..

I'm a little surprised, but the realtor doesn't see any need for me to do any of the little tweaks, inexpensive upgrades or yardwork I want to do before putting it on the market. She doesn't even want me to worry about staging! My thought is to do all of it as inexpensively as possible, and make the place look really nice. My understanding is all of this effort adds to the sale price. But she doesn't care about any of that. Thoughts?

Selling our stuff so we can move to a smaller place? Ugh.... Too many decisions. The pickers wanted our stained glass windows (literally wanting me to have them taken out and replace them with plain glass! UGH!), they wanted my antique crock, the stick and ball fretwork in the house and extra stored in the garage, and various other items. I don't want to do that. The estate sale people want us to move out while they tag, display and sell everything. But that would be terribly hard on my husband. Moving from the current place to a new place is going to come with enough stress for him already. They did offer to buy the entire contents of our home, too, but want ME to come up with a price to begin negotiating from. That'd be much easier on him, but I know we would be kissing away a lot of money by doing so. Plus I wouldn't even know where or how to come up with a value. Again, thoughts? It's totally overwhelming.

Also, it's very hard determining what to sell, what to keep. Part of me says throw it all in for sale. We have big furniture for a big house, for one; we won't be able to take everything. For two, I have a lot of possessions that I use, but a lot of them I only take out for company or for the holidays. And where would I even store them in a smaller house? Yikes.

We've been looking for a new home, too. Problem is we are finding the "perfect" places listed in the morning, and then by evening they are sold. So frustrating. I don't want to buy a new home til this one is sold. I don't want to rent, I don't want a bridge loan, I just want to stay here for the duration. I feel this way for many reasons. My husband's health is #1. He is excited about doing this, but he is already agitated and losing sleep. #2 is money. Rent is expensive. I don't want to blow money on rent, and I don't want to pay for TWO households waiting for our home to sell. Ugh. I want it all!!! LOL!

My head hurts, but I'll figure it out. I sure could use your perspectives, though!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  6:49:02 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom for you Nini but I don't. I've not been in a similar situation to tell you how it went for me. What I can tell you is that you are an amazing woman and even if you don't feel it - you are so strong. I know this because God will never give you more than you can handle. And girl, you have a lot going on LOL!!!! My advice from the outside is - follow your heart. You know what you have to do and you know the difference between something being hard and something being not right. If you don't feel right selling everything to someone else for them to deal with - then don't. Another suggestion I have is to start with the obvious. Sort out (or make a list if it's big stuff) of the stuff that you're for sure selling and for sure keeping. Then tackle the stuff you're not sure about. It might make it easier to decide if you already see what your keeping and selling (for example if you're keeping the seasonal tablecloths it might be easier to sell the Christmas dishes). I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. And maybe a family member would love to have those Christmas dishes LOL.

I'm not sure if this is something your husband can do or not but my husband and I play "what would you..." all the time. We can't get away from the farm so we dream. This morning I asked him "if we were packing for vacation when we got in the house where would you want to go?" Sometime it's "if you could go anywhere for supper where would you go?" Maybe come up with some things about a new house to ask your husband. It might help you both figure out what you want and what you should take.

I wish I had more experiences that could help you. I'll be praying for you and your husband as you go through this new adventure!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Heather, you had some wonderful ideas for Nini!

Nini, I would focus on exactly where you are going to move to, then what furniture will you take that works, and then settled that decision so you can move on. If you know where you are going and feel it is the right decision, I think it will make it easier to let go of the decades of things that you currently have in your home. We helped hubby's Mom, Aunt ,my older sister and my Mom move on when their health no longer allowed them to stay in a big place. Once they moved, they never missed a thing because we made sure they had their essentials which included favorite little things like chair, afghan, bedspread etc. Then it was so much easier to have someone come in and deal with all the rest. It takes the burden off of you and you need that help. If every decision of every item is left up to you, you will be overwhelmed and it will stress you out and your hubby will react to your stress level. And yes, I agree with the realtor's advice. Don't do anything to spruce it up. They would tell you if that was essential. Take that help and now decide where to land and focus on that. I think hubby will be less stressed when he sees and knows where you are going as well. I know it is all very hard and it is a huge upheaval in your life. But, once you have a plan and go forward, I think you will see a lot of worry lifted and the stress will lessen. Good luck, this is a very hard process and an important one. My family experience is that you won't miss any of the stuff you are worried about now. The freedom to just have an easier location and so many fewer worries, will be a huge relief! I wish you all the best with this move and like Heather mentioned you are a strong woman with a deep faith and you will by guided by that.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2021 :  1:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
I wouldn't advise using an estate sale until you take out what you want and definitely don't just sell the contents to them. You will get so much less money that way to work with. We just made a move. Haven't sold the other house yet. Goes to close the end of the month though. We are now in the process of looking for new furniture. Most of what we had had seen better days. But I took all my personal stuff. I wouldn't suggest Craigslist but Facebook market place has worked out well for us. Definitely give everyone a deadline to get their things out that they want. Work with them but be firm about your date to get it out by.
Don't get too many different people involved or it will make your head swim.
I will keep you in prayer and your husband also as you make this transition.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2021 :  7:06:27 PM  Show Profile
To have lived in a beautiful old house is so wonderful! Need I say more---God bless you always.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paring Down, Getting Ready for Change Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page