Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Meatzza - OMW! Have you TRIED this?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meatzza - OMW! Have you TRIED this?! Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2021 :  10:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I am just dying over this new "pizza" and just have to share!

My hubby and I have been doing keto for about 6 weeks now, and I couldn't find a keto pizza crust that I liked. I did a little search online and found this "meatzza" pizza recipe, and it intrigued me. I honestly didn't think it would be any good; but I tried it because, well, I can be adventurous if it means I can get a decent slice of pizza while dieting! LOL!

Basically, you turn ground beef into your favorite meatball recipe, eliminating any bread crumbs. I'm going to share MY recipe, but you can totally adjust the cheeses and seasonings to meet your tastes. ALSO, I only used one pound of ground beef because it's just me and the hubs; but the recipes I found online pretty much started with two pounds. SO if you want to use two pounds, just double the recipe! ;)

Here goes -

Mix together:

1 lb. ground beef (you can also use sausage, turkey or any combo thereof)
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. grated romano cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1-2 dashes cayenne pepper
1 egg

Press the meat into a lightly oiled cast iron skillet (OR onto a lightly oiled or parchment lined pizza pan OR cookie sheet) to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness, and shape the edges so they curve up a little bit to create that "crust" effect. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, pat the meat with a paper towel (I use a clean kitchen towel) and pour off any excess grease.

Add your favorite toppings - sauce, cheeses, meats and veggies. On mine I layered homemade pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella and provolone, sliced red onions, sliced red and green peppers, chopped pepperoni slices (chopping and sprinkling them makes them go further - a little bit in every bite!), and then I added a little extra cheese on top. Place back into the oven and bake until your cheese is melted and bubbly. You're done!

Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice to serve. This DEFINITELY can be picked up and eaten right out of your hand like regular pizza! BUT I used a fork and knife. I just didn't like the idea of holding straight meat in my hand. It'd taste the same, either way!

Here is what it will look like:

Oh my WORD is this DELICIOUS! I am telling you - it's like a really tasty meaty pizza - you don't even miss the bread! My hubby LOVED it - and our son, who couldn't make it over for dinner that night, was extremely jealous! LOL! Meatzza is very hearty, too. I can usually eat a couple of pizza slices in one sitting - not with this one! Just one slice is so incredibly filling! Wait til you try it - you'll see what I mean! You won't need more than one slice! Next time I make this, I'm going to double the recipe, making it into an oblong. I plan to cut it up into a whole bunch of rectangle meatzza slices for the freezer so we can take out individual pieces as needed!

Girls - I'm telling you... If you haven't tried it, please do! You will LOVE it!!! I want to try one with spinach and mushrooms, one with a sausage "crust", one with fresh mozarrella and tomatoes, one with sausage and peppers... you name it!

What will you put on yours?

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 17 2021 11:37:32 PM

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  10:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Sounds delish! and looks delish

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  10:43:09 AM  Show Profile
Ohh.. Please do try it, Theresa! I kid you not... SO good! If you do, let me know how you tweaked it, and what you think!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2021 :  11:06:40 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU!! I made this for my husbands birthday:

I just used what I had in the cupboard - which was black olives this time. The next time I make it (which will be as soon as I get the the store) we're going to do it as a taco pizza. I'm going to mix the taco seasoning in the burger then after the "crust" is baked I'll top it with salsa instead of pizza sauce, cheese, sour cream, olives, lettuce... I can't wait to try it. We both loved it. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe Nini!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2021 :  05:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Yummy! I can almost smell and taste them! I did Keto but went off when my hair was falling out. I’m going to do it again and see what happens. I will definitely try this. Tonight sounds good! I’ll let you know if I do. Heather, I do a taco bake with bisque. Yours eliminates the carbs. Perfect!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2021 :  08:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Looks delicious and easy to make! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn in IL

"Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun." Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2021 :  11:32:58 PM  Show Profile
O...M...G.... HEATHER! TACO PIZZA! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?! YES!!! I'm making that THIS WEEK!!! I am so glad you guys tried it and liked it. I honestly don't think I care if I ever have a regular pizza again! LOL! Isn't it filling, though? Oh my word, I don't feel deprived, and I still have leftovers! LOVE it!!! Thank you for the great idea!!!! I am so excited to try a taco meatzza! Eeeee!!

Oh Darlene! Your hair fell out? That's TERRIBLE! And a total deal breaker for me! I don't want to lose my hair! Eghads!!! Did it grow back after you stopped? I've actually had "digestive issues" with the keto, to put it lightly. Finally after about five weeks it seems to be clearing up. ANYHOW, I read the key is to have eggs every day. Some sites say a minimum of 4, others say 6; and runny "dippy" eggs are better than scrambled or hard boiled. I'll be honest, my fridge is full of local farm fresh eggs; but after so many weeks, I just didn't want to look at another one! LOL. Now that I'm feeling better, I've started reintroducing them back into the diet. I honestly can say I don't think my hair and nails have ever looked better! Did you do eggs daily when you did the diet? No matter what, I think meatzza is definitely something that anyone who likes meat can enjoy! But, oh my, now I'm going to be watching my hair more closely!!! And PLEASE share your taco bake with bisque recipe - sounds deee-LISH!!!

Oh, Dawn... Please do try! Honestly, I think you'll love it! Super easy, super filling, super yummy! Let us know how YOU make it - and what you think!!!

Heather, you've totally inspired me!!! I wonder if I might be able to do one with lamb, butter, garlic & lemon with chopped grape leaves on top for a Lebanese stuffed grape leaves flavor (although I can't use rice in the meat while on keto)... Or maybe more Greek like a gyro flavor with tzatziki sauce with cucumbers, and feta cheese on top... Doesn't THAT sound yummy and different? I might have to try those, too! Maybe we can try new ones every week!!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2021 :  2:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Nini, that you for the recipe! It sounds very delicious. I really like Heathers idea of a taco pizza. I can almost taste it now. I’ll have to get some stuff next time I go to the store.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2021 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Krista! Just signed on to tell you all I MADE the taco meatzza last night and it was FABulous!!! GREAT idea, Heather! Thank you!!

The only pic I took was straight out of the oven without the usual taco toppings (hubby got to it before I got that far! LOL!), but trust me - perfection in a pan! LOL!

Here's how I made it:

1 lb. ground beef (you can also use sausage, turkey or any combo thereof)
2/3 c. shredded sharp cheddar
4 tsps. homemade taco seasoning
1 Tbsp. Taco sauce
1 egg

Mix everything together well. Press the meat into a lightly oiled cast iron skillet (OR onto a lightly oiled or parchment lined pizza pan OR cookie sheet) to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness, and shape the edges so they curve up a little bit to create that "crust" effect. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, pat the meat with a paper towel (I use a clean kitchen towel) and pour off any excess grease.

Next I added a layer of taco sauce, more shredded cheddar, chopped onions, chopped red and green peppers and sliced black olives, with a little more shredded cheddar on top. Please add whatever you like! Place back into the oven and bake until your cheese is melted and bubbly. You're done!

Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice to serve. Atop each slice I added shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa and sour cream - a total masterpiece! Not a bite left for the freezer - my hubby DEVOURED it! LOL! I'd say that's a winner!

Next week I am planning to try the gyro meatzza... Stay tuned!

And PLEASE share your creations!!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2021 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile
My mouth is watering looking at it!!! I haven't made it to the store yet but I'm looking forward to trying it!!!!

Last night I was thinking about a spaghetti one. I use shredded zucchini sometimes instead of noodles. I thought maybe some spaghetti sauce instead of the pizza sauce, some cheese (I'm thinking Parmesan) and shredded zucchini. I'm not into tomatoes much but for those of you that are I bet you could put a layer of those on.

Nini - I'm not too sure about your choices LOL. I'm not a fan of lamb (too many years of eating beef LOL!!). I've never had that funny sounding Greek sauce so I'm not sure what that tastes like. You'll have to let me know how they turn out. I'll probably take your word for it rather than trying them though :) I love your creativity though. I'll have to keep thinking but I can't get the taco one out of my head yet. Hopefully I'll get to the store next week.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2021 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile
LOL... I get it, Heather, I do. My aunt and uncle were sheep farmers and would always give us a lamb after we helped during hay baling... One year, they gave us the runt...my PET. I thought I was going to die. Talk about traumatizing a little kid!!! I didn't eat it, "ruined" my dad's Easter by not doing so, and then refused to eat it for many, many years. Then I married my husband. His family is all about lamb and I slowly re-acquired my taste for it. Gyros are my favorite, and since our favorite gyro shop closed, I've been making gyro burgers. We also have roasted lamb leg on Easter. It's tradition. I think - for us - this might be a tasty alternative! Can't hurt to try! But I totally, totally get it! ;)

Tzatziki sauce is very, very tasty and very light and refreshing! I love it on leftover lamb sandwiches and in veggie pockets!!! LOL!

I'm thinking for the gyro meatzza I will just use my lamb burger recipe sans any bread crumbs and see how it goes!
The zucchini spaghetti one sounds awesome!!! My mom makes a sauce for my stepdad using beets instead of tomatoes. They love it. I wonder if that might be a nice alternative!? If you need me to find the recipe, just let me know! I'd love to hear how your spaghetti one turns out though, either way! Sounds, yummy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2021 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh my heavens, Nini! That looks so delicious! I wish I was having some for dinner tonight. I really need to try this now! I am not a lamb fan at all so I will pass on the gyro one as well lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  11:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Lol... I get it Krista! Let us know if you make the others - and if you like them!

I probably should've told you all that you can substitute beef for the lamb... LOL. I wasn't thinking. I'm just so used to making gyro burgers with lamb... So if you want to try without the lamb, please do!!! Totally up to you!

I made the Gyro Meatzza tonight! WOW was it DELISH!

Here goes:

My Gyro Meatzza Recipe

Mix together:

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground lamb
1 lb. ground pork
1 c. crumbled feta cheese
1 T. fresh lemon peel OR 2 tsp. lemon juice
½ c. minced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. ground cumin
1 T. dried chopped garden mint
1 T. dried oregano
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ c. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 eggs

Press the meat into a lightly oiled parchment lined large baking sheet to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness, and shape the edges so they curve up a little bit to create that "crust" effect. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, pat the meat with a paper towel (I use a clean kitchen towel) and pour off any excess grease.

Top with a layer of hummus (or tahini – I just couldn’t find my jar!), a layer sprinkled with crumbled feta, a layer of tzatziki (recipe below), a layer sprinkled with chopped garden mint, a layer of thinly sliced red onion, and a layer of quartered grape tomatoes. Optional: shredded lettuce.

Serve in slices.

One slice is crazy filling!

MY TZATZIKI SAUCE

1 cup plain Greek or regular yogurt
1 cups seeded, chopped cucumber
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
1 ½ tsp fresh mint, chopped fine (or to taste)
1 ½ tsp. dill (or to taste)
¼ tsp. sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to marry. Please note: Traditional Greek tzatziki also has 2 T of extra virgin olive oil. I just don’t add it because I like it a little bit thicker sauce.

I really hope you'll try this... even if you use all beef, or any combination of the three meats above. It's so, so good. My husband's eyes lit up with the first bite, and he cleaned his plate so fast the fork was spinning on its end when he was done! LOL.

So... what should I try next? I'm game!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meatzza - OMW! Have you TRIED this?! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page