Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Milk Cow Kitchen Cookbook GIVEAWAY!! WINNER!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Milk Cow Kitchen Cookbook GIVEAWAY!! WINNER! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  05:14:47 AM  Show Profile
For our June National Dairy Month celebration here at MJF, MaryJane is adding to the celebration with a giveaway of her Milk Cow Kitchen book! No matter if you are a city dweller like me, a current dairy or cow raiser, or interested in knowing more about how to get started with just a single cow, you will love this book. Like all of MaryJane’s books, this one is full of information on how to raise a cow, make cheese, and many tested and delicious recipes using dairy products. I love all of the photos and recipes and the many ways that cows and dairy products are useful and delicious. How about some homemade ice cream from your backyard cow? I would personally love to have that opportunity!

If you would like to toss your name in the basket to win, please leave a post below and tell us about any cow experiences you might have had currently or growing up. Plus, if you are alike me, what are some of your favorite dairy dishes or memories.

A winner will be chosen on June 19th. I will then email you for your mailing information to pass along to the Home office so they can ship out your book.

I am excited to announce that our winner of Milk Cow Kitchen is Becca (becsbecaw)! Congratulations Becca and I know you are going to love this wonderful book. I have emailed koi for your mailing information so that the home office can send your book to you. ENJOY every page!!

Welcome everyone to our June National Dairy Month and if you missed the swap post, Heather is hosting her annual Dairy month swap. It is a fun swap and a great way to enjoy celebrating dairy month and all the farmers and Farmgirls who raise dairy cows!

How about this yummy Mac n' Cheese from the cookbook?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 19 2021 11:05:13 AM

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  1:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for doing this again this year Winnie. I already have the book so please don't enter me in the drawing. I can't wait to hear everyone's stories!
I'll have to think of some good ones to share.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  03:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi, thanks Winnie, I don't have this book yet. We have a family milk cow Evelyn. I am trying to get her dried up now, to calve in Sept. Hoping for a heifer this time.
I make lots of cheese products, and butter. I got Evelyn at a herd disposal sale. So I don't know her history, she had had only one calf. She watched out beef cows take care of their calves and you could see it in her face she was wanting her baby. The first time she calved she was not so sure she wanted the calf sucking on her. But after a little bit she got used to the idea, and is a really good mom. I do leave the calf on her till around 4 months old give or take. I do have to keep milking her, as she is a Holstein and gives way to much milk. there are lots of recipes to make but my favorite way is to drink lots of fresh cold milk. Nothing better on a hot day. I also feel the milk is way better for you. She is outside in the sun and shade, eating fresh grass, getting all the natural vitamins and minerals, which transfers to the milk. Happy Dairy Month.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2021 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Heather, did you find a favorite recipe in the Milk cow Cookbook? I made the mac n'cheese one shown above the other night and it was so easy and delicious.

Michele, I love your story about Evelyn! She sounds like a wonderful home project and I am sure her milk is delicious either by itself or made into cheese and butter. Yum!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2021 :  10:49:29 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the white chili recipe. I usually use leftover roast or hamburger instead of chicken because that's what's in my freezer. I've got a buttermilk culture going so I want to try some easy cheese curds next. I don't have a good way to store cheese so I'll enjoy the curds LOL!! Oh, and I had my hairdresser do my hair like in the back of the book. The one with step by step instructions for the milk maid braids. My hair is too long for me to do it myself or it would be done that way all the time. It's super cute!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  04:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Heather good luck with the curds. We like our cheese fresh. I use rennet, and starter to make cheese. It is not hard, but it takes time. Put starter in, let it sit an hour. Put rennet in let it sit a half hour. Warm up, stirring often 40 min, till temp is at 105-110, let sit at that temp for another 30 min. For curds and colby, drain off till level with curds, add cold water to 80*. Let sit 15 min. Drain, let sit 20. Then salt, you either keep as curds or put in a press for hard cheese. I keep wrapped in good cheese cloth in the fridge. Turning it over now and again. Depends how long it takes for us to eat it. Have fun with your cheese making. You can freeze your culture too, or keep it going by adding more milk to a small amount.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  05:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I aspire to have cows in the future! But we are currently not on enough land to make it work (we only have 3 acres). I live in a little town in Michigan called Elsie - and we are recognized as Michigan's Dairy Capital. To celebrate our dairy love - we are home to an annual Diary Festival every July - where we crown a diary queen, have a mini carnival in town, live music, a parade, a craft show, cornhole and basketball tournaments - it is so much fun to celebrate our cows! We have a giant cow statue downtown who is Elsie, our mascot.

I would love a copy of Milk Cow Kitchen!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  2:40:50 PM  Show Profile
My current cow experience is getting our sweet Finnegan 2 weeks ago! He is the first cow I have owned and it has been such a wonderful experience so far. My kids truly adore him and are always willing to help feed him and clean up. Even though my experience is very short I have learned so much about calves and how they grow. The best part is the amazing ladies here who have helped answer my questions and helped me get Finny feeling better. I can’t wait to watch him grow and continue sharing all his stories with everyone!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  9:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be considered in the drawing for MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen book! My only experience with cows is pulling up alongside the dairy farms near our town to see the cows. My sister called them "Moo Cows". I also remember taking my children to see cows on the same farms when they were little. . .now I take my Grandkids! Cows are amazing creatures, but I live on a small lot in the city and can't have farm animals. But, my Grandkids enjoy planting veggies, making cheese, baking, canning, and dehydrating at Nana's house! They also like to feed the birds and plant flowers for bees and butterflies, too!

Nancy Joplin 8352
Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  06:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie - So excited to hear I won! I can't wait to check out all of the recipes in the book! I will be sure to report back on which one is my favorite once I've dived into the book! Happy Dairy Days everyone!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  2:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Becca! I can’t wait to see which recipe you try first!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Milk Cow Kitchen Cookbook GIVEAWAY!! WINNER! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page