Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  05:22:08 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone has been enjoying this Memorial Day Weekend and remembering those who paid for our freedom and democracy with their lives. I have enjoyed reading and hearing from those few WWII soldiers who are still with us. Their stories are our glimpse into a world conflict that touched the lives of people from around this World.

My husband’s Father served in the Navy and was in the Pacific on what is called a PT boat. Yesterday we looked up old films on UTube of one of those boats in action. Amazing and oh so dangerous. Two years ago, we visited the WWII museum in New Orleans and it was a two day visit that was incredible. There were many exhibits and restorations of the actual planes and weaponry. The museum also uses Veteran volunteers to be docents to help guide and answer questions throughout the buildings of displays. We actually got to meet a 94 year old man who was still volunteering in the plane building. He was a pilot and it was such a privilege to meet him.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4888 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4888 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,There is WWII museum in Halls , Tennessee about 50 miles from me. We are planning to visit soon. So many of those young men who gave their life for America's Freedom were just Teenagers.
Prayers for all the families whose loved ones gave the Ultimate Sacrifice.

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I recall Decoration day when I was young. I did some Memorial Day research and discovered some things I didn't know. You are never too old to learn.
The first Decoration Day was held at Arlington National Cemetery on May 30 1868 to honor those who died in the Civil War. General James Garfield made a speech and 5,000 participants decorated the graves of the 20,000 Civil War soldiers buried there. By proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic: “The 30th day of May, 1868 is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.”
It is thought that May 30 was chosen as that is when flowers are in bloom. Over the years it became the practice to honor those who died in all wars. In 1950 The name was changed from Decoration Day to Memorial Day. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday on the last Monday in May.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  6:58:38 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone did have a good time with family and friends. My husband and I went to the cemetery and cleaned up around his parents head stones. I brought a picnic lunch we ate in the truck because it was cold and misty with rain. On the way home we stopped at some yard sales . At one yard sale I looked through a box that had cookbooks in it, I found a Goose berry Patch, cook book, called Backyard Gatherings. That book is so cute it has recipes and how to's entertaining in your own Back yard. Well I asked the lady how much for the book and she said it is free! I was so happy, My husband got a red plaid hat for hunting for a dollar. We had a nice day even the weather could not rain on our parade.

Sheila L.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Sheila -- You had the traditional Memorial Day I remember as a child. I wish I was there with you in the mist rather than here in the 102 heat.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Happy Memorial Day! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page