levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  04:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Thursday, May 20 is World bee day! I have been seeing more bees around the fruit trees this year. I hope it is a good sign that the bee population is building up again.
The use of pesticides has been killing them off. We can all do something to improve their chances.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 17 2021 04:57:18 AM

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  05:18:03 AM  Show Profile
The poor bees have so much going against them: varroa mites, wax moths, beetles, predators, hive stealing..
I named our hives Bee Haven and Bee Loved.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  05:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Natural predators are bad enough but then add all the stuff humans do and it's no wonder their population dwindles.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile
For realz Denise! Agreed! I sure love our bees! We had a swarm visit us last week, huge but no where to place them. I pray they took residence in one of the many downed, broken trees we have on the property!! I plant for pollinators!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow that is such an awesome swarm. Hope they found a good place!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  12:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Last year we had very few bees... fingers crossed for more this year! I've planted additional flowers to add to our 100 lavendars we have on our back yard hills... even added a bee house last year that a dear friend sent me! It's still a little early here, we're still having 30 degree nights, but I'm watching for positive signs!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  1:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Looks like we are doing our part to help them along!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  5:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful swarm! Too bad we don't live closer; my daughter is a registered swarm collector.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  7:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I tried to catch my first swarm today. It was very high up - ~10 feet up - taller than all of the ladders we own. I ended up setting up an empty hive box underneath it and shot the branch with a shotgun so that it fell on top of the box! I actually managed to get a lot of the bees in the box, and left it be for the evening - hoping the rest of the bees will follow suit and go into the box as well. I am a nervous beekeeper - and it is definitely more of my husband's hobby than mine - but he wasn't home so I had to step it up and do it myself!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  03:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Becca that is fantastic! I'm so happy to see the swarms.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  03:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Becca!!! I know our swarm settled close by! I have bees visiting everywhere! I feel blessed! Our swarm was at chest level Becca. You are awesome!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4892 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4892 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile
After years of missing the Bees, they have come back! I am surrounded by large farms and one of them brought in their own Bee keeper. It is interesting to watch him suit up and care for the bees!
My Daughters friend from High school is beekeeping now. She and her husband are doing a great job! They drove quite a ways to rescue a nest that was in a hollow tree that fell. They successfully transported the nest to their farm! Missy getting suited up!

Last year they had some of best Honey I have ever had and I buy honey at every craft festival and every little town I visit. I shared some of it with Winnie in a swap last year and she was very impressed too and she has had Honey from all over the USA!

Becca! awesome!! Love the pictures!!!

Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on May 18 2021 09:36:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  4:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes, indeed, Connie! Your friend’s honey was just delicious and I enjoyed using every drop!!

Denise, I didn’t know about World Bee Day so thank-you for telling us!! This year, I have not seen many honey bees. But the Bumble bees are around our flowers outside. On my way today to pick blueberries, we passed someone who had about 50 hives on a lot and was tending to them. I guess he is someone who rents out his bees to Ag farmers to help pollinate their crops. My second guess is that those bee boxes were honey bees, but maybe not. There is a Mason Bee variety that lives in this part of Florida and pollinates very well.

I enjoyed all the photos several of you posted here too. Bees are fascinating!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile
The problem for our bees when pollinating crops is that many places use pesticides that are deadly to the honeybee and part of the reason they died off.
Hopefully people will be wiser in what they use so that the bee population can once again flourish.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

becsbecaw
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Becca
Elsie MI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  05:57:57 AM  Show Profile
I was successful in catching the swarm! The bees took a full day to decide to move up and into the hive box, but they sure did! and then I popped a lid on it at dusk. Now the real challenge will be to move the hive box off the roof of my golf cart and to it's permanent location - but that sucker is HEAVY! I may have just semi-permanently given the bees their own golf cart until my husband returns from his work travels.

We plant all sorts of things for our bees, we have a wildflower meadow, and then plant lots of things like sunflowers and zinnias, and we encourage weeds like dandelions. Thankfully they grow hay in front of us, and I have never seen them spray that field so the bees don't have to go too far to get their fill!

-Becca
Farming in MI
Sister # 8348

https://wetzelgardens.com/

Edited by - becsbecaw on May 19 2021 05:58:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4892 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4892 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Denise! yes! yes!!

Thank you Becca for loving the bees!!

Connie #3392
Imagine....
Fgotm August 2014, Sept.2018, May 2021
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  12:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Connie -- That picture is the cutest thing! Bees cuddled up together. Who would have known.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  9:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Connie,, that is so sweet (photo).

I was worried about our Bees,, then theyu started coming around last week,, and then yesterday it turned bone chilling cold again.. we got down to the mid 30's ..cold.. hope the Bees found shelter from the cold.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  12:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Just had to check in and see what's the buzz?! Lol. I'm sorry... I know...corny... #128540;

I am very concerned. Other than one borer bee and a single hornet, I've yet to see any other bees this spring! And what's odd is that my wisteria and lilacs are in full bloom! By now those bushes are humming with bees! What really gives me pause is how loaded my lilacs are with flowers this year, and yet, there is hardly any fragrance. That's when I realized how crazy quiet it has been then I realized: NO BEES!!! Very few birds so far this year, too! Ohmygosh! I hope the bees come!

Come to think of it, there were crazy fireworks going off at our neighbors' at the beginning of the month for Cinco de Mayo... Do you think that might have been a deterrent for them? Oh my gosh! Im worried!

You know what else I just realized? I went to my friend's farm the other day to pick up a couple of big jars of local honey.. The shelves were bare exceot for a couple of small jars. I asked the lady at the register where it all went? They are always loaded with honey! She said they just got low (I was there last week and the shelves were full!), that they need to order, but the supplier is now requiring so many cases be ordered at a time, yadda, yadda, yadda... I wonder if this past winter did a number on the bee population? Oh, no! I wonder if honey will be harder to come by this year!?

I'm going to plant extra flowers in my veggie garden this summer, for sure! And buy some birdseed. I hope they all come back!! Ohmygosh!!

Any thoughts??

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  05:45:19 AM  Show Profile
The weather plays a big part Niki as well as all the chemicals and pesticides and herbicides. People CONTINUE to use round up on their so called 'weeds', like dandelions and other early flowering weeds which the bees depend on greatly first thing in spring. Its funny, because I DO HEAR some areas with a great amount of buzzing visitors and then others like ypur post. I noticed that when some of our 'trash trees blossomed they were full of bees yet none on the ground yet. Poor bees, they have lots of enemies, us being the biggest enemy! Just plant what you can for them and I'm sure when it warms up, they will come! Every year I plant a flower garden just for them since we can't raise them. We can only do what we can do hon. Mother Nature will find a way for them to evolve and survive! God willing!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  4:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, you may have touched upon something there, Dianna. We live near a big farm and I know they spray... usually very early in the morning. And although I haven't smelled anything yet, that doesn't mean they haven't done so. And we sure did have a cold winter. I will heed your advice, plant lots of nice things to draw them and watch with anticipation! Thanks so much, sister! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Hugs Nini!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure the farm across the road sprays. But we have planted things to attract them here.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  5:09:16 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I had no idea that bees sleep in the day and sometimes in flowers!! That is really cool!!

Yes, I hear that insecticides are a problem here in Florida too for some pollinators. I just love Bees ever since I did my bee badge and read a few books. They are so interesting and important! Thankfully, we seem to see bumblebees in the yard every day but I am not seeing honey bees and that really worries me. I just hope it is accidental that I am not seeing them when they are here.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile
One way I can tell there is fewer bees is by bee stings. I used to get one every year or two. It's now been about 20 years since I had one. Definitely fewer bees around here.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  6:13:37 PM  Show Profile
OMG those bees cuddled up it is so cute, and I learned something about Bees, I even showed my husband the picture and we both learned something about bees.
Sheila

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic World Bee day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page