katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  4:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I was over , peeking into the Swap site and saw That Gail had posted a Paper Doll swap,, sadly had to be cancelled...

But,, it brought back many fond memories,, of days playing in my room,, or in the back seat of the car as we traveled across country, with my paper dolls..
The early ones that I had were usually 'Fashion Models' and Themed ones 'Victorian etc'...

Then I remember the shiny self-stick (run on to stick by static) and then the ones with the little magnets in the paper doll and on the clothes.. but they were usually out of my Allowance range and I would by the simple Tab ones..
I also learned how to create my own 'dolls' viva tracing a 'doll' from a magazine image and then draw my own clothes to color and cut out.
I would spend hours playing with my paper dolls...
In the late 1970's I found High End Paper Dolls,,, in 'Booklets',, I had bought a few to stash,,, but could never bring myself to cut them out..'' I think I need to go search my stash of stuff and see if I can find them..

Anyone else luv to play with paper dolls?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah . . . sitting on the back porch in San Francisco's North Beach, with my then BFF Esperanza drinking Coca Cola out of the bottles and screaming along to Frank Sinatra crooning probably on the radio or maybe a record. My favorite doll was Esther Williams, because I loved to swim. None of her wonderful movies are on NetFlix. I wonder why. Great memories.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile

"Paper dolls are figures cut out of paper or thin card, with separate clothes, also made of paper, that are usually held onto the dolls by paper folding tabs. They may be a figure of a person, animal or inanimate object. Paper dolls have been inexpensive children's toys for almost two hundred years. Today, many artists are turning paper dolls into an art form."

such a simple explanation of paper dolls.. now if it doesn't work off Wifi and Thumbs,, kids won't bother with them.. LOL!

Jean,, I loved the "Teen Model" fashion ones...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  4:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My grandmother got McCalls Magazine and she always saved the Betsy McCalls page for me for when I visited.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo!!! I just checked NetFlix again and found some Esther Williams movies. I guess her husband, Ricardo Montablan, finally released some from her estate. Three of them even have English subtitles, so I'll be able to watch them. I'm pretty jazzed.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2021 :  6:37:09 PM  Show Profile
TCM used to have Esther Williams now and then. I really miss TCM but got tired of paying sling $50 a month just to watch it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  08:41:14 AM  Show Profile
I used to cut people out of Sears catalogs and then make outfits for them. Lots of fun! Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Remember Paper Dolls?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page