True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2021 :  2:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls :)

So, I want to try my hand at Indian Cooking and was wondering if anyone had any tried and true recipes or could maybe point me in the right direction to websites or books that would be helpful for a newby :) Thanks in advance!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2021 :  5:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon,

I chose to make Sri Lankan cuisine for my Palate Pleaser intermediate badge. It is very similar to Indian food. I made Sri Lankan Chicken curry, Slow-cooked lamb, cucumber raita, green mango chutney, dhal, mint & coriander rice with toasted pine nuts, pistachio & brazil nut kulfi, and coconut pistachio barfi. If you would like any of those recipes, let me know and I can post them for you. I also have some Women's Weekly curry recipe books that have some great recipes for butter chicken, rogan josh, pork vindaloo, vegetable curry, etc. So, let me know what you're interested in and I'll see what I have.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2021 :  06:11:54 AM  Show Profile
There are quite a few Indian recipes in Chris Kimball's "Milk Street" cookbooks. Hopefully your library has them for you to check out. I have a couple of his cookbooks and they are very good recipes. The recipes are international in all of them and the flavors are incredible.

Have fun exploring and creating!

Dawn in IL

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold, when it is summer in the light and winter in the shade." Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon,
How are you doing with the Indian recipes? I find most Indian food too spicy. When I go to Indian restaurants I order chicken tika masala. I don't know if I spelled that right. I have an Indian recipe book and there is a really good recipe for coconut shrimp.
I work with people from India and see them when we travel for work. They always want to go to Indian restaurants. Most are vegetarian and some eat chicken. I would always ask them what I should order. My former boss would laugh when I ordered and tell the waitress "she's weak". Meaning I can't handle spicy food. He was right, and now when I order I tell them I'm weak. LOL

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2021 :  8:32:25 PM  Show Profile
We just tried this recipe a couple weekends ago - it is a recipe from Milk Street and it was yummy!

Chickpea and Tomato Curry

3 tablespoons neutral oil (we used grapeseed)
4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons curry powder
kosher salt and ground black pepper
4 15 1/2 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
14 1/2 oz. can crushed tomatoes

In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the garlic and ginger, then cook, stirring until lightly browned. Stir in the garam masala, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring just until fragrant. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and clings to the chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper. Optional garnish (we used them all): chopped fresh cilantro, finely chopped white onion, chopped jalapeno chilies, plain yogurt

Hope you enjoy. I put mine over a baked sweet potato and it was very good.

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl Sister #7286
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2021 :  11:45:57 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple of Indian cookbooks but I usually look on the Internet for recipes now -- there is more variety, especially for all the different breads.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Indian Cuisine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page