Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I have been canning for years - water bath canning. I am looking to start canning more, and am looking for a pressure canner. Whoa! They run the gamut in prices. Which one do you recommend, and why? What do you like about yours? (Not a pressure cooker or instapot, a pressure canner, only used for canning).

Thanks, farmgirls!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  09:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole,
I have an All American. Well worth the investment. Heavy, well made and no gasket to replace. Check some recipes you plan to use or think about how big of a batch you plan to make at one time. That will help you decide the size you need. They are heavy so you need to think about that also.
Good luck!
Andrea

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  10:21:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm a small batch canner. For the last several years I have used the 10 qt Fagor pressure cooker/canner. It holds four pints or quarts. When I first got it I put up quarts but never felt good about it. They sealed and kept for months without a problem, but I just feel safer with doing only pints. Pints work best for me anyway because I can for one. Some of the things I have pressured canned with it are broth, dried beans, veg or beef soup, chili, pumpkin, and potatoes.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I second Andrea. Th All American. I have a huge one, looks like you could process uranium in it! LOL
But I love not having to worry about the gasket
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  03:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I was given an old All American. No gasket and works great. If I was going to update, it would be that same brand.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I am so glad I asked you all! Thank you all for your input and feedback. We are now looking into the ones you have mentioned (All American sounds like it is a good way to go). I appreciate the help!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Hands down, Nicole: the ALL-American. All the reasons listed are right on the money. Although expensive, it's a true investment from which I totally get my money's worth. It's so thick it will last forever (LOVE what Lisa said! Crack me up!!!), and I really love not having to deal with a gasket. I'd have two if they could both fit on my stove! I actually have been using it for water bath canning, too. I would love to have one of the really tall ones in order to process even more jars at once, but I have a cupboard in the way. :( Guess I'm just going to have to get a new kitchen to go with it! LOL!

Please let us know what you choose, and your thoughts about it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:50:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,
How do you water bath in the PC? Just leave the weight off? Do you clamp down the lid or just set it on? My water bath canner is getting a bit rusty and I don't know how much longer it's going to last. If I don't need to invest in a stainless WB canner that would make me happy!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  4:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andrea!

Actually, you can use ANY deep pot with a lid to water bath can...you just need to be sure you have something lining the bottom to separate the glass jar from the metal. I have even used a thick towel on the bottom of a pot, placing my jars on top of it. Just make sure you cover your jars with at least an inch of water over their top as you usually would, then gently place the lid on the pot and water bath process accordingly. (To be honest, I've never liked the rack that comes with the water bath canners. I started using the rack from my pressure canner in my water bath canner a long time ago and it was so much easier for me!) When I am in full canning mode it was just much easier to keep the one pressure canner on the stove at the ready rather than having both canners out on the table!

So...

- just use the rack that comes with your pressure canner,

- fill your canner with water,

- bring to boil,

- add your jars making sure the water is at least an inch above their tops,

- gently place the lid on top of the canner (no need to clamp down, no weight needed),

- process just as you would in your regular water bath canner!

Note: You can even use two racks, one on top of the first layer of jars, to do a double canning session, just as long as your jars are properly covered with water!

Easy Peasy!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 23 2021 4:34:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Farmgirl Recommendations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page