Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone doing Whole 30?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone doing Whole 30? Next Topic  

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Two years ago, I tried Whole 30 and lost 40 pounds. They slid off. Felt like new person, energy was back, no bloat, etc. The caveat is it's pretty hard to maintain. Lean protein, nuts, tons of veggies, fruits, and healthy oils. That's pretty much it. The cookbooks are really good and meals are fulfilling.

I think it's really meant for people to figure out what doesn't agree with them by eliminating all but core necessary foods. Then, after 30 days, slowly introduce the foods you haven't had in 30 days and gauge what happens.

I love dairy and I love bread - discovered I now can't really handle either. Dairy bloats me up something fierce and bread (bread?) gives me acid reflux. My head flips between, "live life and eat what I want in moderation" to "I feel so much better 40 pounds lighter."

After I lost the 40 pounds in 2019, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was caught as early as possible and I am cured of it with surgery, radiation, and a med for five years. Then I had a turbulent job change, and Covid hit. Weight is back. I'm in Michigan where the restrictions have been many so my husband and I have just hunkered down at home with our remote jobs...for a very long year. We've soothed ourselves with yummy comfort foods and thanks to MaryJane, we only cook with cast iron.

I'm posting this really to see if anyone following Whole 30, to share recipes, etc. And then I'd love to brainstorm how to keep it going - I think living without bread and dairy is not a good way to go but there is something about today's mass produced dairy and grain that affects us. I've been meaning to read MaryJane's bread book - I think she talks about this and lets us know where to get ancient grains that are pure and unaltered.

let me know what you think!

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -C.S. Lewis

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2021 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Julie, there are many whole grain alternatives like rye, rice, Einkorn wheat etc. that might be more agreeable with your gut and are healthy too. As for dairy, you can replace that easily with the many dairy alternatives like almond/rice/coconut/oat milks and soy milk. Many are fortified with vitamins you need as well. I think the key to healthy eating is to return to the sorts of meals you enjoyed on the weight loss. The real key is portion control, eliminate processed foods, excessive sweets and or use of lots of sugary foods. Then add daily exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Simple things like a fast paced walk will not cost anything and you can use the local parks or just streets that are safe to walk on. Just get moving and drink lots of water every day. The most important change you can make is to find the changes that will be permanent and healthy. Long term weight loss cannot be a diet because people go off of diets. You and hubby have to come up with a way you can eat and enjoy healthy foods everyday for the rest of your life. It really isn't that hard to do and there are endless books on healthy recipes to try so you can find new comfort foods that are also healthy.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Mar 05 2021 10:47:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Winnie - I really appreciate all you have to say. Your are so right, it's about moderation. I also tripped and fell over the new rescue dog (he's fine) and did a number on my already arthritic knee (January) from 50+ years of figure skating. That hasn't helped. I will end up getting gel shots to lubricate - almost bone on bone. Painful. So, I haven't skied, skated, walked - all of my normal exercise. We live on almost four acres and I have plenty of terrain to walk. I also get very wrapped into my work (now remote which I love), my writing (www.juliefordonline.com), just completed an order of 29 masks (each takes about 45 minutes), and myriad other "sitting" hobbies. I gravitate toward Whole 30 because it worked but then you are pointing out how it really didn't work. So, I am about to delve into research for my next article assignments, but guess what? I'm going for a 30 minute walk FIRST. And that's thanks to your encouragement!

Big Hugs and Big Thank you,

Julie Sister #8169

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone doing Whole 30? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page