YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  05:32:09 AM  Show Profile
I saw the barred owl this morning in my next door neighbor's oak tree. Hadn't seen it since early last year. He lived in the oak tree across the street from me. I've looked for him, but haven't seen, or heard him for so long I just knew something had happened to him or he had moved on. Happy to know he is well and still around.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile
That's great Sara! Maybe he was on vacation for awhile.
They are great to keep any rodent problems at bay. We hear one in the woods next to the house at night but have never seen him.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  5:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Hoot hoot, owls are fun to see. I don't see one too often. but we have plenty around in the woods. Enjoy seeing him.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  11:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Aw! Wonderful! I'm so happy he came back to you, Sara! Enjoy his company! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile
We love owls. Especially Everleigh. I heard one last year but never seen him. I hope to hear some more this year. I’m glad he returned for you. Hopefully you will see him more often.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to see a picture if you can get one Sara. I wish we had an owl on our farm. I'm so happy that he returned!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  12:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I saw the backside of him last night as he flew over the across the street house. I heard him before I saw him. Barred owls have such a funny "bark" instead of a "hoot".

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  5:09:26 PM  Show Profile
I love the barred owls Sara! We have a couple that has lived on our property for years now. Sometimes we will hear more than 2 and usually irs their kud or kids but then eventually it goes back to 2. Sometimes they sound more like cookaburros than owls!! Lol

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Love the sound of owls. If barred owls are like Great horned owls now is mating/laying season. Would be neat if you have babies in the near future

We had/have 2 adult great horned owls that were apparently "shopping" for a new home. They kept coming to a tree on our property and I could watch them from my deck. He would hoot for her from a tree then she would join him - tree to tree they'd go. I hadn't seen them (or heard them) for about a week but hubby heard them in the field behind us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  07:06:27 AM  Show Profile
We have several Barred Owls that live in our neighborhood and are quite vocal every night. I love to hear them "talk"! For Christmas, we surprised my hubby with a handcrafted wooden Barred Owl nesting box. He was so surprised and excited!! However, It has to been placed a certain distance up in a tree and it is quite big and heavy. We had a time with me holding the ladder still, passing tools so Warren could anchor it to the big Oak tree in the backyard. The box says, it is usually 2-3 years before an Owl will move in because they want a lot of distance between themselves. I am not quite sure how close the others are that we hear at night, but I am hoping we get a resident in our nest before 2-3 years. It is Spring here in Florida so I am keeping a watch for any signs out back. Hope, Hope!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile
Love that! We have a few we see every so once in a while. I don’t mind, as long as they don’t try to get my little dog (happened once). I actually have always loved owls. We saw one today on our town animal control page. Poor barred owl hit by a car but will be rehabilitated, thankfully.

I have not seen my opossum friend, Radio, in a few days but he normally comes when it is not too cold. I have seen our “rabbit friend” every night the last week. It is a wild bunny that lives in our yard. I know it is the same one because it never runs when it sees us, and has interesting markings. Saw “Smoke Puff” the black squirrel yesterday. I think it is three or four years old now. Love the wildlife!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  3:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Last evening about 5:30 p.m. Annie and I were sitting on side porch. The owl flew by and joined another owl in the large oak tree across the street from me. I have heard owls talking by and forth but that's the first time I have seen two together. Happy to know he doesn't always fly solo.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  06:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I hear our Owls almost every day but have never been able to actually see them. This Winter, we gifted my husband a Bard Owl nesting box and hung it up in our city Oak tree in the backyard. They say it can take up to 2-3 years before an Owl will choose to make a nest inside. We keep hoping and hoping that will come true. Sometimes, when the windows are open, I can hear 2-3 different Owls all talking to each other and it makes me so happy!

Sara, how fun to actually be able to see your visitor Owls that you often hear! Keep us posted on if you see any signs of a family happening. Tis the time of year!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Apr 12 2021 07:01:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  07:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I hope you get to see one soon. They're impressive either standing still on an branch or in flight. I see the owl when he's leaving out in the evening or coming home in the morning. Even with him being across the street from me it's hard to be looking at the exact time he is coming or going. His schedule varies. I also hear them around noon talking to each other. Not sure how many owls are around. Paris has so many old large trees for them to live in.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4899 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4899 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Winnie , what a neat gift for your hubby!! We have many Barn Owls. I love to watch them in flight. They come close to my neighbors next door because they have free roaming chickens. They will swoop down fast!. I saw a small Barn Owl sitting on the fence post near my bird feeders trying to catch one. It's not uncommon to see them siting on top of road signs or those huge Electric towers that run by the bigger highways.

One swooped down right over my head as I was walking from my car to my back door. He was just taking off as I walked right in front of him!

It use to be they only roamed at night but like so many places now, we see raccoons during the day and sometimes Fox and Coyotes!

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Neighborhood Owl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page