YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile
While doing the dishes today I found myself looking out the window and soaking in the sun's warm on my face. Nothing better than a south facing window over the kitchen sink. During the snow storm I kept my kitchen curtain drawn and all drapes in the house to conserve energy. Before the storm I took my window for granted but today I know how important it is to me. I love to look out that window when I'm at the sink and also each time I pass by I catch myself stopping to look outside.

Can you think of something you have taken for granted until you didn't have it anymore even if just for a short time?

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Sara, yes indeed you are sooooooo correct. When I think of the MANY things I have taken for granted, the one that is foremost in my mind, is MOBILITY. It used to be that whenever I wanted to go somewhere, see something new, make a quick run to Joanns for a crafty item I needed, I would just hop in my Jeep and GO. I think my DH being a straight line engineer type, was thankful when I loaded up the dog and went exploring on my own. I could come home, tell him all about it, and he could decide if that sounded like something he would like to do -- I was his "scout". Then life got in the way, and all of a sudden I could no longer drive. And you know how pride can rear it's ugly head so now I have to "ask" to go anywhere which I am lothe to do. So I do my exploring on the internet and in my wonderful memories. Interesting thing about this pandemic. I had already been socially isolated for the last few years, so I have sailed right through it with little change if my everyday life. Tough lesson, but I was well-prepared for it.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Sara, yes indeed you are sooooooo correct. When I think of the MANY things I have taken for granted, the one that is foremost in my mind, is MOBILITY. It used to be that whenever I wanted to go somewhere, see something new, make a quick run to Joanns for a crafty item I needed, I would just hop in my Jeep and GO. I think my DH being a straight line engineer type, was thankful when I loaded up the dog and went exploring on my own. I could come home, tell him all about it, and he could decide if that sounded like something he would like to do -- I was his "scout". Then life got in the way, and all of a sudden I could no longer drive. And you know how pride can rear it's ugly head so now I have to "ask" to go anywhere which I am lothe to do. So I do my exploring on the internet and in my wonderful memories. Interesting thing about this pandemic. I had already been socially isolated for the last few years, so I have sailed right through it with little change if my everyday life. Tough lesson, but I was well-prepared for it.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  11:53:26 AM  Show Profile
:)

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  12:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Jean, you are spot on about mobility. I gave up driving in 2018 because of MS fatigue. I don't miss driving but I do hate to ask to be taken someplace. So, like you I do most of my shopping on line. I also have my groceries delivered. I like my little house and gardens so except for the weekly lunch with sisters I am content to be right here. You know I never get bored and have found out I really like my own company.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
One thing I miss is community events. There are fewer chances to meet new people and attend fundraisers and school events. For a small county such as ours, it makes life lonely.
I have a west facing kitchen sink window but it is set too high for me to see anything but the sky. If I had more money I'd have a handyman put in a lower window.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Gosh,, what do I take for granted,, right now it would be,, puttering in my sewing room.. it is my refuge,,, I can clear my head as well as let creativity flow..
Maybe that is why I always leave it a mess,, it gives me an excuse to putter in there.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  7:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I took walking and independence for granted. Then 10 years ago I had a back injury that had me in bed for a while, unable to even get to the bathroom by myself. When I was able to walk again it was with a walker, then a cane. It's been a long haul but this year I have been hiking the trails when we go up to the hills (4 miles last weekend!), still with the cane but it's now mostly for snakes and such. Now and then I have setbacks but so far I've been able to bounce back from them. I will never take walking for granted again. I recall my mother being bedridden for years and can't imagine how she kept her sanity. I value my independence.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile
The one thing that immediately comes to mind: I take for granted that the people I love will always be here. This past year has taught me, more than ever, just how fragile life is, and just how important it is to make time for the people we love. Despite Covid, we make time for special phone calls, quick little texts, visiting through windows, birthday "drive by's"; dropping off some garden goodies or muffins or flowers or an unexpected treat - as simple as the latest crossword puzzle magazine - left lovingly at a loved ones' door. We may not be able to be together in the same ways we usually do, but we can still make them feel how special they are to us. Tomorrow I may not be able to tell them. We've lost so many people this year, as have so many friends and family members - not just to Covid, but to many unexpected things. It seems now that we are growing older, it is happening a lot more often too. One day, they're here; the next, they're not. I don't want any regrets, you know? My heart just wants to "shower them with the love"...

Another thing I have taken for granted is that my Church will be there, open and ready to receive all of us, every day and, especially, every Sunday. Covid sure has taught me how much attending Mass and having that fellowship really means to me. It is a true blessing to be able to watch Mass on television when I am unable to attend; but it's just not the same.

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2021 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
The thing I take for granted is Free Time. I get so little of it, I am constantly yearning for it. I run by my studio on the way to the laundry room or the kitchen. I always think, "I should go in there." However, there is always something that needs to be done. I guess I would wish for something to do if I had nothing.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog

www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Shop

www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  12:40:01 PM  Show Profile
What comes to my mind is my ability to stay home with my children instead of work. It’s already been 5 years and I don’t think I truly embrace all the moments or what it really means all of the time. I find myself saying that I need a break sometimes but I know when this time is over I’m really going to miss it. Especially with how fast those 5 years have really gone. This is a great topic. Thanks Sara.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile
There are a lot of things I take for granted but the one I'm trying to make sure I don't take for granted is my husband. I have an amazing man by my side and not everyone can say that.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  05:02:00 AM  Show Profile
One thing I take for granted is remembering each day to take time to think about and give thanks for my health. As I age, hubby and I have long time friends that are now having some serious health problems. it is hard to watch family and friends hit troubled waters. I am trying to be more intentional about holding these loved ones close and helping wherever I can. The prayer list keeps getting longer and longer!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2021 :  10:41:49 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely agree with you Heather! I am so blessed to have my husband of 14 years. Sometimes it's those closest to us that we most take for granted. We need little reminders like this occasionally to stop and appreciate what we have. I think enduring a pandemic for the past 12 months has perhaps made people slow down from their usual fast-paced lives and really think about what's most important to them. We definitely need to tell our family and friends just how much we love them while they are still here with us.
Nini - your reply captures this very well.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Big hearts to you, Cindy!

Yeah... I didn't want to say it because when I think about it, it breaks my heart... and I am UGLY when I cry... But hug your partners a little tighter, girls. Let the little things go - cuz they honestly don't matter. And LIVE NOW, don't wait for retirement, because it's just not guaranteed. I never thought I would be seeing my husband go through this horrible thing at such a young age. He and I both took for granted that once our son graduated, I would go back to work/start a new career, and we would save up for the retirement adventure of a lifetime. That didn't happen. Instead we were flung into a nightmare, and "retirement" is so much different than we ever imagined. He worked his whole life - nose to the grindstone - since the age of 9. He figured in retirement he would buy a boat and travel the rivers to see the country. That was a secret dream he never even shared with me. Instead, he worked himself to the bone, only to become seriously ill at age 50. Although, I am thankful, because we do have quite a nice, peaceful life together. It's just not what we had dreamed it was going to be, and it surely will not be nearly as long as we thought it would be. Matter of fact, last fall, the doctors told me he has reached the point in his illness that we can expect an extremely dramatic downward spiral at any time, and that I should get my ducks in a row. Talk about a reality check. He's okay, but that knowledge sure keeps my heart in a state of mercy and kindness and gratitude, believe me. Then last week, his cousin passed away while heading to his car in the garage. His wife found him on the floor. Too young. Totally unexpected. Not to be a bummer, but you just never know.

Thing is, life is fragile. I remember a long time ago in an interview, Dolly Parton said she made it a point to tell everyone that she loved them whenever they parted, whether in person or on the phone. Her story and words never left me. I do the exact same ever since. You can replace things, but you can't replace people. Thankfully, though, as I'm sure most of you have experienced, when they leave, they're still right there in your heart. You know what they would say, you know what they would do, and you just know that they're watching over you. So in a way, they never leave. But always say, "I love you." Always make them know. NO REGRETS. The regrets make separation so much harder to bear.

AND please know, truly:

I love ALL of you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  1:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Time.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Heather -- Yes, time for sure, and it's sad that as time gets shorter and shorter I move slower and slower. There is just never enough time to do everything we want to.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Things We Take for Granted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page