tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2021 :  10:57:22 PM  Show Profile
I worked on the beginner level Green Energy.
PG&E is my power company, I found out they use 50% renewable & greenhouse as free resource, more than I thought they would, I also found out they use 80% other energy mix combinations and sell back the overage 30% to other companies. (I was more detailed on my application)
I did a whole grid to compare and contrast the different energy methods and sent the grid in as a photo with my merit badge application.
Candy Hogan #8283

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  06:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Happy to award you this badge Candy! These renewable methods certainly do add up. With our power company, we switched our account over to renewable sources many years ago. In other words, we pay more for our electricity but it allows them to purchase the amount we use entirely from renewable sources (a wind-mill project located on the Snake River plateau here in Idaho). At the end of every year, we get an accounting of what their 3,500 "strictly renewable" customers accomplished, things like ...

...helped offset emissions equivalent to the carbon absorbed by 45, 673 acres of U. S. forests in one year--like removing 7, 556 passenger vehicles from the road or avoiding 86,781,704 miles driven.

As is the case with most power companies, customers who subscribe to that option are supporting wind and solar projects throughout the United States. In addition, such a commitment somewhat subsidizes those who don't sign up for that option.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2021 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Candy, congratulations on completing your beginner badge! I look forward to reading your report when it's posted!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Green Energy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page