Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED ***
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic
Page: of 5

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  3:01:45 PM  Show Profile
OH YES!! Streetcar is an all time classic. I had forgotten all about it. Will go see if NetFlix has it right now. I'm getting in the mood . . .

Funny confession about your Mardi Gras "fun" packages that are all going to the Post Office this afternoon . . . well, maybe tomorrow morning as DH has to take them and he's been playing with his new generator all day. But now that we have it and it's all ready to go to work, we should be assured of no more power outages this winter. Hahahahaha. Isn't that the way it works? Anywho, he's been so busy with it that he has not made a post office run this week. I was getting irritated about that when, lo and behold the mail lady came today to deliver a box that contained something I had forgotten I ordered and wanted to include in your party packages. Soooooooo, I broke into each one to include the addition. You'll notice an abundance of packing tape to repair the intrusions. LOL. Enjoy!! And, I'm expecting posted "selfies" on this page in return. LOL.
love y'all,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Last night Ed and I watched both Double Jeopardy and The Big Easy. Great movie night.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  2:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Jean, add me to this swap, please. I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras but my husband wasn't keen on it. It is still on my Bucket List...lol. I am loving the recipes. I lived in Groves, TX (Port Arthur) for jr & sr high. And I love that Hank Williams song! This is going to be fun.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  2:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Got you, Joan. Welcome. A little later today I'm going to be talking about the most wonderful "family" Mardi Gras that I was fortunate enough to celebrate in Gulfport, Mississippi when we had an office there. And I will share my absolutely all time favorite dessert -- Cajun Bread Pudding. Oh boy, my mouth is already watering.

hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to it,

DArlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2021 :  7:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Even though we lived in Nevada, we opened an office of JTronics in Gulfport, Mississippi. It was the ‘90s, riverboat gaming was just taking off and DH was a gaming surveillance guru – designing and installing complex surveillance systems and the boats on the Mississippi River were the place to be. So, there we were. We had a partner who lived in Gulfport and managed the day to day activities and we sent our son to “apprentice” with him and be his “gofur”. I traveled constantly running both our Nevada and Mississippi offices.

It so happened that I was at the Gulfport office during Mardi Gras one year . . . I don’t remember exactly which one. Anyway, I had become friendly with the Office Manager in a neighboring office. She told me that Nawlins was NOT way the real Mardi Gras was supposed to be and invited me to be with her family to celebrate. . . . . a very special highpoint I will never forget. First, we went and collected a carful of her kids and their cousins and headed off to the parade in downtown Gulfport which was a treat. Now the floats were certainly not as elaborate as over in NOLA – they were homemade and loaded with costumed kids and elders who threw out scads of treats (beads, candy, etc.,) that “our kids” scrambled to collect. When the parade was over, off we went to Grandmama’s house in the country. The large barn had been transformed into a magical place. It was all decorated with streamers and balloons and festive four-top tables. A buffet of Cajun delicacies that was to die for was set out for everyone to nibble on all night. And the wonderful zydeco music filled the air. We scrambled for places at the tables and the BUNCO game began. Bunco is a fun family-oriented dice game. The kids who are too young, sit on laps and “learn”. Now between rounds, the music was turned up loud and there were several folks who played violin, guitar washboard, spoons and accordian. So lots of times they played instead of the records. And everyone danced. I mean EVERYONE. Babies were carried while dancing. Smaller kids would step on top of Grampa’s shoes and dance that way. I tried to beg off – not knowing how to do that marvelous Cajun two-step. I would be a voyeur – No such luck. I learned too and loved every minute of it.
At the stroke of midnight – literally! Everything came to a screeching halt and the party was over. Shrove Tuesday had come to an end and now it was Lent – for 40 days until Easter.
I must have gained ten pounds that night munching on all the wonderful food. But the main recipe that I brought home and make often was:

CAJUN BREAD PUDDING
1 loaf stale French Bread – NOT sourdough
1 quart (or more) whole milk
½ cup sugar
1 Tbs. Vanilla
6 (or 8 if not large) eggs beaten
1 cup raisins
Amaretto – enough to cover raisins
1 stick sweet butter
1 cup powdered sugar
Splash (a BIG splash) Amaretto

Tear French bread into bite size pieces and place in large bowl with milk to soak. Cover raisins with Amaretto and microwave for a minute or two to plump the raisins. Whisk together the eggs, Vanilla and sugar. Combine all the above ingredients and pour into a large well-buttered baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. A few minutes before the pudding comes out of the oven, melt the butter and stir in the powdered sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar and butter are well combined and creamy. Add Amaretto and stir well.
As soon as you take the pudding out of the oven, use the round handle end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over it and loosen sides from the pan. Pour the butter/Amaretto mixture evenly over it all and let it soak in.

Words cannot convey how delicious this is hot or cold. Enjoy,
Jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 29 2021 9:48:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  11:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Jean, sounds delicious! I will have to try it. Thanks for the story and the recipe!

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  1:24:36 PM  Show Profile
I love Bread pudding, so yummy!
Thanks for the recipe Jean.

I almost finished my Dotee doll!

Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds delicious, Jean. I really am not fond of all bread puddings, so will have to try this one. I love almonds, so the Amaretto is intriguing. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  1:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Gail,

Your package went out today. In the note, I mentioned something I was putting in the package, and it did not get in. After you get the package, I will email it to you. Since it is the directions for one item I made, I do not want to send it before you see the item.

ENJOY!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 30 2021 2:01:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  08:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Jean for the Mardi Gras Package. It sure put some fun into my day.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour Farmgirls,
A friend sent this to me this morning. For all the purist Farmgirls who want to make a King Cake from scratch for Mardi Gras, check it out . . .
https://www.facebook.com/TheStayAtHomeChef/videos/263737221854723

Today is the last day to sign up (extended sign-ups for one day) for this swap and get your Mardi Gras fun package. Julie in North Dakota has received hers which tells me that y'all should start getting them early in the week. Enjoy. "Suit" up and post those selfies.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 31 2021 12:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile
SUNDAY DINNER
I learned to make Jambalaya at the New Orleans School of Cooking. What a showman Chef Belton, a 350lb former linebacker, was. One of the first things he told us was: “Never trust a skinny cook.” OK, I’ll drink to that. He went on to tell us that Jambalaya is often the Sunday Dinner in Cajun country because of obtaining fresh meat for the pot. Here is how it’s done. A can of spray paint is taken along when the family leaves for church. Along the way, one of the kids hops out of the car and paints a circle around any road kill spotted. Then on the way home after mass, they stop and pick up any unfortunately deceased animals that do not have a spray-painted circle surrounding them – voilà “fresh” road kill for the Jambalaya pot. While I do love most things Cajun, I prefer to purchase meat for my Jambalaya shrink wrapped from the meat counter at the supermarket. But you can do it the Cajun way if you like.

JAMBALAYA
¼ cup oil
1 Tbs. (or more to taste) chopped garlic
2 lbs. chicken, cubed
1-1/2 lbs. smoked (Andouille) sausage, sliced into rounds
4 cups long grain rice
5 cups stock
4 cups chopped onions
2 heaping tsp. Cajun seasoning
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped green onions and/or tomatoes (optional)
2 cups chopped green peppers

Season and brown chicken in oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and sauté with chicken. Remove both from pot. For brown jambalaya, add heaping Tbs. brown sugar to hot oil and caramelize, make a roux, or use 1-2 Tbs. Kitchen Bouquet. For red jambalaya, add ¼ cup paprika for color. Sauté onions, celery, green peppers and garlic to desired tenderness. Return meats to the pot, add liquid and seasoning and bring to a boil. Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for a total of 25 minutes. After 10 minutes of cooking, remove cover and quickly turn rice from top to bottom completely. Add green onions and chopped tomatoes if using and finish cooking.

Notes for altering or personalizing this recipe:

• 1 cup raw long grain rice will feed 3 people
• 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of onion, ½ cup celery, and ½ cup of green peppers – affectionately known as the Holy Trinity of Cajun cooking. No matter how much you are making the proportion is always twice as much onion as celery and green peppers
• 1 cup of raw rice to 1-1/4 cups liquid
• Over season to compensate for the rice
• If making red jambalaya, you can use ½ stock and ½ tomato or V-8 juice
• No matter how much or little you are making, cook for a total of 25 minutes, turning completely after 10 minutes.
• For seafood jambalaya, add cooked seafood when rice is turned.

Now obviously this recipe makes a LOT of Jambalaya -- enough to serve 10 hungry people. I usually make the full recipe and freeze half to microwave later for a quick dinner. Referring to the Notes, you can adjust the quantities to make a smaller amount.

Enjoy,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 31 2021 3:16:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  4:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I prefer fresh meat too!

I have heard of that though.
thanks for the recipes.

Darlene

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, time to close out the signups. I don't like the uneven numbered swaps so Joan P and Jean P will be partners for this one . . . sumanagun we'll have big fun . . .
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  11:18:19 PM  Show Profile
On the Bayo! My mom loved that song!

Darlene

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

sheridan126
True Blue Farmgirl

245 Posts

Jill
Dana Point CA
USA
245 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  11:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Judith!
Your package is going out today, I hope you like!

Jill
Farmgirl Sister 7889

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  12:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Silly girls are ready to paaarrrrtttteeeeeeee at Mardi Gras
Darlenelovesart JeanP

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  3:39:10 PM  Show Profile
These are great if I say so myself! Fun!

Darlene

by Frances Farmer

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Feb 02 2021 3:39:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
YUM! And yes, fresh meat.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6393 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6393 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  1:36:56 PM  Show Profile

Ida Jane my Mardi Gras package arrived today, such a fun box and I love it all. The mask is awesome, so colorful with sparkly beads, love it!
The Dotee Doll is so sweet is so cute and I really appreciate you sending me one, as I did not sign up for the swap, I do not sew with my machine much. The mug rug too I like and needed as I was still using the pumpkin one Nini sent me last year. I can not wait to try the Recipe for Mardi Gras dinner and the tea.
Thank you so much for all my treasures.
I am still working o one of the items I am making you, I am slow, but it will get finished this weekend and off to the Mail Monday just as fast as I can sent it.
It was wonderful to be partners with you for another swap.
Thank you Jean, I am so happy to have signed up, just so fun:-) If I forgot thank you too for my Mardi Gras goodies.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Feb 05 2021 2:19:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6393 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6393 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile
You can not see the mask Ida Jane made very well in the photos above, so here you go:-)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Feb 05 2021 2:19:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Ida Jane and Debbie . . . . absollutely AWESOME!!
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Ida Jane Rooney
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Ida
ORANGE CA
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh darn - It looks like some of the beads didn't survive the USPS handling. I included extra beads if you are inclined to glue them on.

Stay well -

Wannabee
"Anyone who thinks they are too small to make a difference has never met the honey bee."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Cant wait to see all the great projects.

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 05 2021 5:16:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page