Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED ***
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic
Page: of 5

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  2:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
YEE HAW!!!! Thanks, Jean!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Umm, we love both Pecan Pie and Pralines Jean. I can not wait to try your recipes:-)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

Ida Jane Rooney
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Ida
ORANGE CA
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping there would be a Mardi Gras themed swap. I'm all in --

Wannabee
"Anyone who thinks they are too small to make a difference has never met the honey bee."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
YAY! Good to have you join, Ida Jane.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Ida Jane. You and Debbie (Blessed in Colorado) . . . but now lives in Oregon . . . will be partners. Contact each other and have fun.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  4:24:21 PM  Show Profile
That’ sounds delicious qJeanQ, is that French your speaking Neat.

I am gathering things so will get I done as soon as I get it.
Thanks again.
Hugs
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jean and for being such a special hostess.
Have fun everyone:-)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:00:43 PM  Show Profile
That's Cajun speak, darlin' Darlene . . .

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I won't be able to remember any of that Cajun Speak. LOL! Love it, though.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm too busy right now to do this swap, but I'll be keeping an eye on it to have a bit of fun :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh come on and play with us, Heather, "Somana gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou . . . "

Today I'm going to tell you about . . . .

KING CAKE

All over the world, people celebrate Epiphany or Little Christmas on the 12th night following Christmas. One of the most popular customs is still to bake a special cake (gateau) in honor of the Three Kings who brought gifts to the Christ child . . . “a King’s Cake”. A bean or miniature baby is baked into the cake and it is said that a year of good fortune awaits the lucky recipient. The residents of the Gulf Coast perpetuate the celebration by having the person who receives the “baby” continue the festivities with another party and another cake. Starting 12 days after Christmas, King Cake Parties continue until the first day of Lent, ending on Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras.

King Cakes are decorated in three colors: GREEN (vert) representing Faith, PURPLE (violet) representing Justice, and GOLD (or) representing Power. Thousands of these cakes are consumed at parties every year in Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. A cultural gumbo of European tradition, pagan celebration and religious doctrine, spiced with more than a dash of local flavor, today’s Mardi Gras has evolved as an American phenomenon unique to this region.

Would you like to have one of your own this year to help you celebrate Mardi Gras? Well, here are two excellent options:
1. Bake your own. King Arthur Flour offers a King Cake kit with everything you need to bake two. Check out King Cake Mix at www.kingarthurflour.com

2. Order pre-made ones especially packed and shipped from Paul’s Pastry Shop in Picayune, MS. Now these may seem a little pricy, but they are delicious beyond belief and come complete with baby baked in and a party kit. And what the hey, Mardi Gras only comes once a year. Available online from https://paulspastry.com/

I’m gonna go order mine from Paul’s right now.

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour Farmgirls,
I received this very interesting link from MaryJane this morning about how New Orleans is dealing with Mardi Gras being cancelled this year. You have to admire the spirit of the people in NOLA.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/24/health/covid-vaccine-promotion-New-Orleans.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage

Gloomy, cold day here in the Pacific Northwest . . . a good day for soup. Perhaps we'll have a lesson on making Gumbo a bit later today . . .
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jean.
Hugs

Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have seen lots of the King Cakes, but I've never eaten a piece. LOL! Thanks, Jean. May go look at that link.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  4:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have partially finished some of my Mardi Gras swap, but working on 3 of YOUR swaps at once. LOL! Have Happy Scrap Swap done and working on this one and the Feed Sack one. Have it partially done, too!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, three swaps at the same time . . . WHAT WAS I thinking? LOL. Still working on my Feed Sack projects too and I haven't even decided on what to make for Mardi Gras . . . speaking of which . . . my little Mardi Gras "fun" packages will go to the Post Office tomorrow. First batch includes Niki, Jill, Julie, Ida Jane, Gail and Debbie. Not to worry if your name's not in this batch. Next one gets put together tomorrow. But right now I have to teach y'all how to make Gumbo and then go fix dinner.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile
“Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, an’ me make Gumbo. Tonight I’m gonna see me michero mio.” Remember that song? You know when a Cajun lad starts to court a young lady, some of the first questions he will ask her are: Who’s your mama? Are you Catholic? Can you make a roux?

The most important part of making a good Gumbo is making a good roux. So, let’s start there. It isn’t hard, but you have to really pay attention to what you’re doing.

Use equal amounts of flour and shortening. Add flour to hot oil, lower heat slightly and brown flour, stirring and smoothing constantly. The secret is to push the browning to the darkest degree possible without scorching it. It should be the color of melted chocolate. Turn heat very low before adding liquid so grease doesn’t flame up. Add liquid slowly and blend thoroughly each time until mixture is the consistency of thin paste. Then liquid can be added more rapidly. In the early stages of blending, it may be necessary to lift the pan from the heat to keep the roux creamy. It tends to lump when it is cooking faster than it can absorb the liquid.

Now that you’re an expert at making roux, let make Gumbo!! But first, let’s talk about some of the things that go into the pot. This recipe will call for chicken and Andouille sausage which is a very firmly packed and well-seasoned red sausage that may be available in the deli department. While the following recipe specifies chicken and Andouille, gumbo can be made with meat, poultry, seafood or any combination thereof – in other words, whatever Mama has on hand.

Gumbo derives its name from the African word “gombo” which means okra which was first used as a thickener for gumbo, a thick soup. File’ a finely ground powder made from Sassafras tree leaves is often used instead.

This recipe calls for water, but a true Cajun cook will always use a flavored liquid such as chicken, vegetable, or beef broth or just water with added bouillon cubes.

CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
1 large hen cut up, or equal amount of chicken pieces (that’s a LOT of chicken. I usually just use one or two breasts and two thighs and cut the meat off the bone into large bite sized pieces.)
1 lb. Andouille sausage, sliced
4 Tbs. oil or shortening
4 Tbs. flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped (I use more)
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. sage
Salt and pepper to taste
2 quarts water or more
¼ cup chopped parsley
Chopped green onions
1 Tbs. file’
Fry chicken pieces in oil and drain. Brown sausage and drain. Make a roux from the flour and oil. Add water slowly. Add the meats, chopped vegetables and seasonings. Simmer until the chicken is tender. Add the parsley near the end of cooking time. The file’ can be added just as the pot is removed from the fire but not everyone like the flavor, so it is more commonly just served separately in a small bowl on the table to be added individually to taste. Serve the Gumbo in large bowls with a scoop of rice in the center and sprinkle with chopped green onions.

C’est bon (It’s good), jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Is Jambalaya next? LOL! I love your recipes, Jane. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  1:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, we MUST have some more Farmgirls who want to party with us for Mardi Gras. Where are you? Sign ups continue for a few more days.

And, if y'all have Netflex, check out a couple of my favorite Nawlins movies to get you in the mood. One of my absolutely all time favorite movies is "The Big Easy" with Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin who are magical together. Spoiler alert tho -- there are some steamy love scenes in it -- be still my heart. And then there is the thriller gripper "The Pelican Brief" with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. Are there more out there that I don't know about? Please let me know.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 26 2021 1:40:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ida Jane Rooney
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Ida
ORANGE CA
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  1:57:52 PM  Show Profile
A good Nawlins movie was "Double Jeopardy" - a 1999 film with Ashley Judd & Tommy Lee Jones.

Wannabee
"Anyone who thinks they are too small to make a difference has never met the honey bee."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  2:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh, thanks Ida Jane. I just ordered it from NetFlix. Thanks so much.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  4:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Is it free on Netflix? I'll look, too.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  4:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Linda . . . Well, if you have a NetFlix account, it is.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  5:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
We do! I'll look and watch tonight. Thanks!

And it isn't the Jambalaya recipe I'd like - it's Etoufee. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Hammahsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Nik
Baldwinsville NY
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2021 :  2:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh That was a good Movie!!! My daughter is a big Marlon Brando fan so I have seen a Street car named Desire 1951 a million times. That is set in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

Niki

Hammah Nik

Hammahsfarm
Farmgirl # 8102

The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant the seeds ?" "Not I," barked the lazy dog . "Not I," purred the sleepy cat . "Not I," quacked the noisy yellow duck . "Then I will," said the little red hen .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Let the Good Times Roll *** PARTNERS POSTED *** Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page