Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  06:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Texas Ice Storm took out our power for 4 1/2 days. Streets have had some traffic but that just softens the snow day refreezes to ice over night. Probably by Sunday we will be “normal” again.

.....So... I still need to pack up My Swap to My Swap partner and head to the post office next week. Thanks for your patience.

I will say that those days without power taught me something about my “Preps”. Could use more small flash lights in each room with lots and lots of batteries.
Always make sure you have a about 10 days worth of meds in your bottle. Keep OTC remedies on hand. In an ice storm when the power is out put your frozen food, etc in a covered tote just outside your door . We now call that our back up refrigerator . (Mine refer got fried by a power surge in a T-storm the day before the ice storm hit. It died. We mourned it’s passing and all the garbage sacks of food we had to throw away.
Someone up there has a sense of humor!

We lived on bread, cookies, PBJ and tortilla with refried beans, diet soft drinks and the aging apples. Ice storm has stopped but drive way is a sheet of ice. My neighbor brought us over hot supper last night.. Enchiladas, rice and bean... at least not PBJ again.

So, fellow swappers. Now that power is back on, gonna finish all my swaps!!! Thanks for your patience!!
Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)

Edited by - Madelena on Feb 20 2021 06:21:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Mary it was no picnic was it? Late yesterday I called a friend who lives 15 miles from us...suddenly she reacted to something...I asked what was wrong, nothing, but her water was back on finally. They were in the rolling blackouts: 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. She said her hubby had gotten it thawed a couple of times, but as soon as the power went off the water froze. Another friend, also about 15 miles away in a different direction had similar stories. One section of town had No electricity...so baby Jasper, who was barely one month old when this began...he shall have stories to tell someday. They went to his daddy's grandmas home to sleep, and he and his mom spent the day time hours with her mom and dad...after he drove, with four wheel drive, each day to get them, then he took them back at night. Her young hubby was helping his dad with pumping water out of a big new high school, setting up big fans to dry it out , etc. His dad has a business that does that. My son could not work his construction job because he spent all day long hauling water to cows and horses. Then after spending a lot of time getting it warm with a heater he started his tractor and put hay out for every critter. He just hauled several loads of cows to the sale or he would have had a lot more mouths to feed. He had two busted pipe at the front of the barn.. He fixed those today, but his plumber could not come until Monday to fix what is wrong with the well.
We still have snow but the icecicles have fallen.
If we are witnessing a weather pattern change...then we all need to seriously rethink our prepping plans.before next winter! Have you heard of the grand solar minimum? BP Earth watch has been talking about it for...years. About a week ago he said ... No one would believe me, but I tried to tell you. He certainly did!!!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't mean to sound like a commercial and MaryJane does not know I am doing this post . . . BUT go to her website and under the FOOD heading check out her packaged meals and stuff. Many great items there to have on hand for emergencies like this one. If you can find a way to boil water such as on a BBQ or outdoor fire pit or indoor wood stove, then you can have nutritious hot meals for your family during an emergency.

If it doesn't sound like it's too close to home at the moment, mosey on over to the FEED SACKS LIVE ON swap page where I'm starting to talk about recipes and food from the Great Depression and WWII days.

Haven't heard of the "grand solar minimum", Marilyn. But I will check it out now. I just finished reading Bobby Akart's new book "Nuclear Winter". It's technically sci-fi but he offers many great "prepping" tips throughout his books. My husband is reading Bill Gates book, "How to Avoid a Climate Disaster". When he's done, I will read it too. If you are up for a scary movie on the subject, check out "The Day After Tomorrow" with Dennis Quaid . . . it could happen.

Weather reports indicate things are suppose to improve soon there in Texas. In the meantime, know that y'all are in the hearts and minds of your Farmgirl sisters. If you let us know your needs, well do our dangdest to get them to you.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  6:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Here in Minnesota, we usually have 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding. We rarely have power outages here in the winter because the infrastructure is designed to withstand the sub-zero temperatures we frequently get. I try not to be smug about the weather troubles in the south with the snow. Last summer was a hot one. We had trouble sleeping because of it. I do not have air conditioning because it uses so much electricity. I have found ways to survive it rather uncomfortably and survive I do. We will all have to go through some changes soon.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  7:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Marie - each area of the US has their own annual problems - heat or cold or rain.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 20 2021 7:45:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  07:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls. Love all your comments. I will definitely check out those books, Jean. Found out the TV in extra bedroom that hubby watches got fried too. Gotta get a new one. three days from NH from Rehab center after heart surgery in early January then the Great Ice Storm of 2021. At least our neighborhood rooster survived. Cute guy.

Marie, yeah. Grew up in the North and I don’t thing anyone knew what AC was. Windows open in summer. Closed in Winter.
Stole the picture of the car off the internet. That’s how we pretty much felt. Now.. it’s gonna be in the 60’s this week after negative 4. Previously.
As for emergency food, I have quite a bit but had no electric. No propane BBQ grill. no way to heat water. Lots of canned goods. I ate a small can of Lima beans one night. Open can. Insert fork. Worked.
Might be an interesting year with weather.... hopefully very few tornados and hurricanes. Pray for AMERIcA.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  9:15:21 PM  Show Profile
I've always wondered why the power lines are still above ground in Texas.
Marie when I got married the cars did not have Air conditioning, neither did homes. We were HOT in the summer time. Different areas of Texas have very.different weather. I grew up in Western Texas. The summer temps frequently climbed to 115°. But as soon as the sun went down it cooled off. A bit further west you need a jacket at night. Out there a swamp box was the way to cool your house. Here a swamp box does not work because of our humidity. So we have central air conditioning.
The weather is changing, and it has been for about five years.But I think that we Texans need to think outside the box. After our big ice storm four years ago...we invested in two heavy duty shelving units, just to store water. So we have a good bit of water drawn up. Horses drink a lot!!!
We have a propane cook top, and one small wall heater. We have a gas hook up in the living room, but up until this winter we have not needed it. We have a wood stove that heats pretty good. And of course we have some electric heaters.
We were not toasty warm. But we did not freeze...thank you God.
This year 2021 will be the time to take a look around our house and place to see how we need to improve.

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 22 2021 9:16:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  3:45:50 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for all the troubles many of you are having. Here in Michigan it's been very cold this winter. I can relate to the difficulties. Been praying for everyone in the south for quick recovery and warmer weather. Strange weather these days.

As for my scrappy project this month, every little scrap of crepe paper is being made into filler flowers for my daughter's wedding.
Want to get them done before spring and summer chores are here.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

"There's no place like home"
Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  3:57:28 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, power lines aren't placed underground for a few reasons. They would still be effected by flooding. It would also be difficult to find where any issues would be located. They would still be susceptible to lighting. Not to mention the cost. Hope this helps.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Feb 24 2021 3:58:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow Brenda, the flowers are AMAZING!!!!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  4:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Omgee! Mary, that's crazy! You are a real trooper trying to care for your husband while going through all this! I've learned so much from this Texas crisis and you ladies. We ordered a solar generator from Patriots to accommodate any emergency alongside our gas generator. Stocking up, motor hoarding, essentials and meds. I just don't see things getting better right now so it doesn't hurt to prepare. Thanks to MaryJanes, we ordered lots of prep food!! :) My heart and prayers going put to Texas and the town here in Alabama that got wiped out by a tornado.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Brenda, for that information. Your little flowers are so sweet! When is your daughter getting married?

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  09:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Mary the porcupine car is funny!

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  5:15:13 PM  Show Profile
If you have enjoyed SCRAP HAPPY, be sure to mosey on over to SCRAP HAPPY - SPRING. New swap and challenged just posted today. Hope to see y'all there. . .
hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  06:43:14 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I have not forgotten you! I will be mailing your items out this week. I will let you know when I do. I hope you will forgive my lateness with this swap.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I am still working on the scrap project. It is bigger than I thought it would be and the edging stitch is taking a great deal of time. It is all worth it.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  1:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Linda, Don't faint! I actually mailed your package to you today. It is estimated to arrive 3/6/21 & the Post Office tracking number is 9505-5117-5986-1062-2405-98.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  2:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Joan. I will be on the lookout for the package.

No problem that it is late - I definitely understand that life does get in the way, sometime.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate that, Linda! Sending hugs your way.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile
So glad others like me. Mailing a package this week too. But highlight of the week.
I just got to meet my first great grand child today!!!! Beautiful little cherub face. Adorable!

Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Madelena, Congratulations! We have one great grandchild, Aurora, who is 2 yrs old. We think she adorable, too! You have lots of happy moments to look forward to.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  9:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Mary, our first great grand child will be two months old on March 7 th. He looks just like his daddy. He is so cute and chubby. I never dreamed I would live to be GREAT! It is so much fun to see his pictures. He is changing so fast!

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  11:57:37 AM  Show Profile
So sorry many of you are going through tough times with ice and snow storms, power outages are not fun. Then add the covid issue in there too. Ugh!! Hope all of you can get back to normal soon.

Marilyn, thank you for the compliment on the flowers. My son is getting married October 2nd, my daughter October 30th. They all have everything almost wrapped up. Venues booked, cakes ordered, dresses decided on, table decorations almost finished. Attendants decided on, flower girls and ring bearers taken care off, menus decided on. I`m working on flowers for my daughter and have my dresses purchased and in the closet for both weddings. They both want small, simple and easy. Yay!!

Congratulations on your Great Grandchild!! So special

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Mar 04 2021 12:00:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile
I am sure it will be beautiful no matter when it gets here.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2021 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Woo hoo! Yesterday I received my Scrap Happy swap from Joan! Thank you thank you! I love it all!
She made a scrappy mug rug, jar opener, and the cutest floral print "bowl". She also included a charm pack of MJF fabrics.
Thank you so so much!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Scrap Happy Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page