HorseLovinKate
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about putting aside a small area to grow a new crop, and I was thinking maybe a berry or grape. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Thanks!!

Country Life is Best
www.middleagedcountrywoman.com

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  6:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello Kate! Welcome to MaryJane's!!! I don't grow a bunch of berries but I do have a spot for my blackberries and an area for my elder berries. I guess I cant help but I know there are farmsisters who are here that c as n help for sure!! Maybe ask in garden section?? Wishing you much success!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  08:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kate! I like Stark Bros. web site. You can put in your zip code and then look for plants that grow well in your zone. You should do a soil pH test in the area you want to plant. My husbands grandfather used to sell blackberries so we have a lot growing on our property. They are a bit wild but last year we had a lot! The deer seem to leave them alone but the birds don't mind the thorns. I tried planting grapes but they just don't grow so good in my dirt. I also planted elderberries and had to put a fence around them to keep the deer from eating them. They are growing very well. Sad that when I was younger they grew wild on the side of the roads but the chemical used to treat roads killed them off.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

HorseLovinKate
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
suny58 - thanks! Are blackberries tasty like raspberries?
AndreaPA - Thanks! I'll check out Stark Bros - I didn't know they could advise per your zone. I'm thinking red grapes (eating not wine) or raspberries, but I'm not sure. I wonder if deer like raspberries?

I remember as kids my brother and I picking mulberries that grew along the crick behind our church. We also used to pick wildflowers for our Mom, they grew along the side of the road. There used to be muskrats, too. Those were the days...

Country Life is Best
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  02:39:54 AM  Show Profile
hi Kate, around my neck of the woods the deer eat raspberries. They pretty much eat anything and everything anymore in everyones yard.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile
We have wild black raspberries and blackberries growing in the woods. I think the deer eat the corn and hay growing in the fields and the coons and birds eat the berries. As long as the weather is good there's usually plenty left for me to pick though. I'd love to have a berry patch by the house one day. Can't wait to see what you plant and how it works for you!! Best of luck!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  1:27:41 PM  Show Profile
I have two blueberry bushes (fewest freeze days, two different types for cross pollination, grown in and for Southern California). I have them planted in two wine barrows about four feet apart and thriving. I planted them according to directions, water them twice a week and feed them once a month. I love them, they taste great and last year was the biggest harvest ever.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  1:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Last spring we put in our first row of raspberries and this spring we will be putting in more raspberries and some blackberries. I’m just learning myself, but my raspberries have been pretty easy to grow. We did lose about 3 plants but that was due to very strong winds we get here. They seem pretty tolerant. I love having fresh berries! We didn’t have a ton, but my dad said that is normal for the first year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HorseLovinKate
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  08:04:33 AM  Show Profile
WindyPines - I sympathize. Some friends have trouble with deer eating everything. To be fair, we've taken a lot of their habitat.
janamarieje - sounds like you've got a good crop! I hope whatever I plant does as well. :)
nndairy - wild berries sound cool. Its a ways down the road to the woods..fields around the house keeps the deer out of the yard I think. I wouldn't mind sharing, as long as they don't eat too much - LOL.

I'm gonna check out Stark's website and try to decide what to plant. I'll keep you posted!

Country Life is Best
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  08:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everybody!
Kate, the raspberries are sweeter than blackberries. I like blackberries better personally. We also have wild mulberry and elderberry around here so that keeps the deer and birds away from our garden. Yea! Win win!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone grow berries or grapes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page