Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021 Next Topic
Page: of 9

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Just ran across this pix of Mama and me . . . I wonder if her dress was made from feed sacks . . . hugs from little Jeanie

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

BeckyT
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Rebecca
Byhalia Ms
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Love that picture Jean. Do you know what year that was? Almost finished with my project, I love history, and this feels like a step back in time.

Trust Jesus

Farm girl 5171
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Sneaky question Becky . . . you just wanna know how old I am . . . . hahahahahaha. Pix is San Francisco 1937.
hugs, jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  12:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow, January 5, is the last day to sign up for this swap.

Last night DH and I watched "The Dust Bowl", a documentary by Ken Burns. We got it on NetFlix. Oh my goodness. And, we think we've had a bad year with 2020. I encourage everyone to watch this film and count your blessings. I've been trying to learn more about the Depression Era because of this Feed Sack Project. And, as you can now tell from the above pix, I am a Depression Baby. So it's all quite meaningful to me. I had no idea how bad it really was and the real cause behind it. I knew about the drought but not the over cultivation. I encourage all of you Farmgirls to see this documentary if you possibly can. You will appreciate everything, and I do mean, EVERYTHING that you have even more than you already do. You will even come to appreciate the life you've been able to live during this latest crisis (Covid) when you compare it to the life the Depression Era folks had.
Farmgirl hugs, jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  12:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have watched that, actually with my Mom who is also a depression era child. They lived on a farm, she tells of the way of life but often says they were luckier than many because of the farm. My Mom is very frugal, she does not have to live that way but is of the mentality to not waste, which she has passed on to her children. I am traveling to Florida in a few weeks to spend a few months with her, I will "pick" her brain for stories and maybe some pictures. We are so blessed, because of our "wealth" it is easy to forget. Hugs!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile
I remember as a child living in Kansas one scary Monday of my mother shortly after hanging out the laundry, hollering at my sister and brother to help take the clothes down because there was a storm coming and the sky was red! I was just a tiny tot but it really frightened me. I also remember mom hanging wet sheets up to prevent the dirt from coming in the doors and windows.
Then years later we lived in Moore, OK, and going into OKC there were houses with metal shutters on the outside of their windows. They were used to prevent dirt from coming in their homes. It was a horrible time.
The farmers here planted trees, mainly Osage Orange trees, along the roads and lanes of the fields to help stopping the wind. These are just a few of the wild things that I remember.

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Gail and Kathy for your stories . . . they really make this project come alive. Please everyone keep the stories coming.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  1:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Jean, I received my feed sack. I love it! Haven't decided what to make, but am excited about the choices!

Love the stories everyone is sharing!

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  2:24:12 PM  Show Profile
So glad you got your feed sack OK, Joan. I was worried because of all your P.O. problems.

And speaking of feed sack deliveries, I still don't know if the following swappers have received theirs. Please let me know so I won't worry . . . Ida Jane, Hammah Nik, Marilyn, and Rita. Mary's was just mailed to her today. Much thanks.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile
I got the following inquiry from ISewBernina this morning -- And the answer is --Absolutely, Kathy. And everyone just know that you can add whatever you need to to complete your project. Just don't go buy something special . . . remember the mantra "Use it up."

"I need a lining for my project may I use a solid cotton quilting fabric that is in my stash or change project so all of the fabric is FS? Curious minds would like to know. ;o) Kathy"

Today's the last day for signups. I hope we get at least one more. I don't care for the uneven number swaps. Farmgirls please help me out here and somebody else join. Pretty please.
Big Tuesday Hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

doctordar
True Blue Farmgirl

147 Posts

Darlene
Newport WA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  12:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to sign up for this swap. Sounds like fun

Dream - Believe - Manifest
She believed she could...so she did!
Farmgirl #7049
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  12:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo . . . thank you, thank you, doctordar for making our number even. Don't forget to send me your mailing address by private email so your feed sack can get on it's way to you.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

doctordar
True Blue Farmgirl

147 Posts

Darlene
Newport WA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jean,
I just sent my address to you via email. I already know what I'm going to make!

Dream - Believe - Manifest
She believed she could...so she did!
Farmgirl #7049
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  12:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you doctordar . . . will get your feedsack on its way ASAP. Isn't it interesting that we have two Darlene's both with medical monikers?
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  12:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, here we are, Feed Sack Project partners are posted. Be sure to contact your partner by private email to exchange mailing addresses. There are eighteen of us. Soon the photos of our fabulous projects will start to roll in. This has been an awesome swap to host – reminiscing, researching and hearing your memorable stories. Keep them coming.

Now I’m reminded of how I came by the feed sacks. Many moons ago while living in Virginia City, Nevada, a gal pal who owned a little antique store, used to drag me with her to auctions and estate sales. I loved to buy the boxes at the end of a sale where they would just dump a whole bunch of stuff in it and you bought the whole box not knowing what was in it. And, wouldn’t you know, this one time when I did, I found a treasure trove that included a gorgeous hand crochet tablecloth and a whole slew of feed sacks. I made these little quiltlets and gave them along with a feed sack to my sewy/quilty girlfriends. The rest of them have languished for years (the feed sacks not the girlfriends) in a forgotten tote until I found them recently and decided to do this Feed Sack Project swap . . . . and now you know the rest of the story.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 06 2021 12:41:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  05:26:37 AM  Show Profile
I adore the little quilter Jean! So pretty! So many ideas and ways to use them! I'm may get addicted to them....
Thank you for such a fun swap! Mine will be done and mailed by friday! :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have contacted my partner, Gail. This will be fun. Now to start working on my projects.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I have not checked in in a while. I have been busy working on my project. I received the sack and it is just beautiful material. Love the stories and pictures.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  4:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rita .. We are partners. Send me your address. I’ll send you mine now.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Ida Jane -- Tracking tells me you got your feed sack on December 28. Please tell me that's true . . .
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  8:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Jean, Thought I would let you know that Darlene and I have exchanged addresses.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2021 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile
I had an email from Kathy, so we have exchanged info. Too!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2021 :  12:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Jean, thank you so much for the Rest of the Story! I wondered where you found such a wonderful variety! You are so generous! I love my feedsack!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 07 2021 12:51:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ida Jane Rooney
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Ida
ORANGE CA
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2021 :  09:42:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JeanP

Ida Jane -- Tracking tells me you got your feed sack on December 28. Please tell me that's true . . .
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Oh yes - I did receive it many moons ago. I love it and my plan is underway. Thank you for posting this project.

Wannabee
"Anyone who thinks they are too small to make a difference has never met the honey bee."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2021 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,, I have a 3minute egg timer sitting here, as that is all the wifi time I have at the moment...
I can hardly wait to see what everyone creates...
Have fun.. and when I get a spare moment, I'll head over to the Club house and use their free wifi,, so I can sit and visit with everyoine on the forum.. (next week I hope)..
Happy 2021
hugz
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page