katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2020 :  8:42:22 PM  Show Profile
As much as I cringe to have to,,, I have no options... I have to head back to SO. Calif., for a month.. to handle the sale of my mom's house.. We have engaged a Realtor,, and have come to learn the house has termites.. which we want to eradicate ASAP..
But hubby and I need to go down to Palm Desert/Palm Springs.. clean up and clear out the house... to get it ready for showing.
SO we will be heading out after Christmas...
If it were not for the fact that my mother has a bad habit of hiding money, jewelery and documents all over the place,, I would let the Realtor deal with the house.. but, now I have to go there.. Thank goodness I know where most of her hiding places are.
I have begged her so many times to get a safe deposit box at the bank or buy a uber heavy fireproof safe ,, but nope,, she is old school,, thank goodness she knows not to hid money under the mattress!(I hope)..
So,, pretty much for the month of Jan., I may or may not be on the computer much,, unless I can access wifi via my phone with out breaking the bank.
I am not thrilled,, especially with how out of control this COVID pandemic is.. we will stay masked up.. distancing and then literally be hiding in the house... thank goodness we have a lot of work to do in the house.
I am packing food for the drive, 2 days solid... and have stocked up on Lysol spray, and those clorax wipes for cleaning the Hotel room as we enter. even bringing my own pillows.
I have also bought some non perishable groceries to take, so I won't have to hit the market for a few days..
I am going to go online and see it Stater Brothers market has on-line & curb side pick-up.
I know Aldi's does,,,, so we should be good...
Oh and I have bought and am bring the cleaning supplies as well..
UUGH,, I have so much to do and all the extra precautions we need to take...
So bare with me if I am MIA,, or absent minded..
But until we hit the road,, I will visit here, to maintain my sanity.

I will need my farm girl fix...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Take care of yourself, Grace. I know how hard it is to get a house ready for sale.

When my paternal grandmother passed away we had to do the same thing. My parents were about to throw out a an overstuffed sofa in the living room when they noticed that a corner of the backing was like loose, so they looked in and there was a whole stash of money in there. When we were cleaning out the dresser in the bedroom, she had a whole bunch of old powder compacts And most were in a very used condition. My mother was tossing them into a wastebasket, and one of them hit the side of the wastebasket and came open. A $50 bill fell out. Needless to say, we went through every compact and over half of them had money in them.

Maybe it is their heritage that has them hide money in this way. Your mother is German, my grandmother was Polish.

Good luck! Stay safe.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  10:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope your house clean out will take less time than you think. I too know what a huge task you are about to take on as hubby and I have done the same thing for his Mom, Aunt, and my Mom and Aunt. For sure there will be uncovering of real family treasures and that helps the work at times. We will all hold down the fort here while you are away and hope there might be an easy ability to stop by and say Hi. But, we will be here waiting to hear from you and all of your adventures and lost treasures found. It sounds like nobody could be more prepared and ready than you are.

Take care, enjoy your holiday time still at home and we will all be virtually following down to Ca. for the time you are there! We are always here 24/7!! Good Luck!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  5:22:01 PM  Show Profile
It will be quite an endever.. mom was a 'hider' and a bit of a pack rat..
But considering her generation,, and living in war torn Germany,, one probably did 'stash' stuff out of necessity.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2020 :  7:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Have a great trip, Grace. Uncover lots of memories and save the collectibles you want and need.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  5:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Grace...I do not envy you that trip or all the work you will have to do. I hope you can plow through it in one month.
Maybe she didn't have 57 years worth of stuff to go through like my Mother did. It took me, my 3 boys (all at different times, My Step-daughter, her husband
and daughter, and many yard sales to get rid of some of mom's stuff. You don't know until a parent dies just how much their stuff has no value to
family members. Or even the public in general.

I hope all goes well for you! That is one long drive to High Desert. My prayers will be with you both!

Love, Hugs, and Prayers,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LIVE LIFE IN FULL BLOOM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,, this will be a challenge due to COVID restrictions and safety guidelines...
I have been working on some issues via telephone and computer.. even have the Termite company lined up for the 1st week in January...
Still got to get a handy man and carpet cleaner and floor repair peeps lined up.
Mom's home is in a Del Webb senior gated community, so that creates a challenge in it's self as they don't allow yard sale,, but can have limited Estate sales by invite,, and to residents in the community.

My mom volunteered at the Christian Thrift store sponsored by her church,, so I will be donating a lot of stuff to them and to the Battered women's shelter...

Here is the problem,, my mom is from that generation of women who loved fur coats... I and my sister are not fur wearers nor supporters...but my niece is married to a Finnish man, he is an Actor in Finland and also under contract here in the US.. so they do go back and forth a lot.. and it is still common to see people in fur coats..so I will give her 1 or 2 of the fur coats.
But,, my sis , daughter and I will each keep a fur coat, or cape or wrap, just because it was from mom. I think with what is left I might see if animal rescue want to use them for orphan babies to snuggle in.
Mom even has one of those 'fox' shoulder wraps, (from her mom) complete with head and bead eyes.. ewww!

So much to do... thank goodness there is a Trader Joes and an Aldi store just down the road and Aldi does curb side pick up..

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 21 2020 7:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Heading Back to Calif... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page