Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Next cross stitch questions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Next cross stitch questions! Next Topic  

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  12:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I finished the whole pattern and completed the stars. That was definitely a trial and error event lol! But now I'm wondering. Do I leave it as is? Or am I supposed to outline it?

Also how to I get rid of the wrinkles in the cloth?

How do I cut the fabric and frame it?

Thank you ladies for all your help!

Krista

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  1:22:56 PM  Show Profile
I can recommend outlining the bear with the adjacent colors. So use black where the edge is black, dark blue next to dark blue and so on. I believe that this kind of outline would bring out the spiritual nature of the piece. The wrinkles could be taken out by placing a piece of muslin over the piece and using a steam iron. Start by ironing the wrong side first. Use water and steam to get the most stubborn wrinkles out. Use a mild starch product such as Mary Ellen's Best Press to finish it. I always let a professional frame my pieces. I always ask for an appropriately sized mat to enhance the beauty of the piece. This is a movie poster I had professionally framed which turned out really well.

That said, it doesn't have to be framed when it is given. It would be a nice thing to do.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Just adding my 2 cents. You can center it in the hoop and leave it that way instead of framing. If you do have it framed professionally, do not cut the fabric. Make sure you spend time talking to the framer. Choose what looks good with your work, not what matches the room you plan to hang it in. A good framer will spend time with you and help choose an appropriate size frame and mat. Pay attention to the measurements. The first cross stitch I had framed has a very wide mat and I know I told the person I didn't want that much showing. The frame is about a half inch and the mat is four inches. Looks terrible. Way too much mat for the embroidered area.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile
I never put glass on my framed crochet pieces.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  11:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Krista,,
Do not cut/trim your Adia cloth... I have matted and framed my needle work many times.. but it can be tricky..

First I soak my finished work in a bowl of luke warm water with a couple of capfuls of white distilled vinegar. Let soak for about 10 or so minutes.
** make sure that the Floss doesn't bleed,, use a few scrap pieces of floss, wet it, then iron it on a paper towel, if it bleeds/runs, do not soak it in water..

Then hand press flat, do not wring out, lay flat on a bath towel until dry.
With a steam iron, place the cloth right side down, and the back side is facing upwards,, then steam iron. If you iron the front side it will flatten the floss.

The reason I use the vinegar in the soak water is to repel mealy bugs from nesting in the cloth.

I use to use painters tape for taping the fabric down to the base board, but book binding tape can be used also. But now there are good acid free, Lingen(sp)Free tapes that you can use, Lay the cloth on the base board, then flip it and tape down the back side of the cloth with the tape,, you will have to miter fold and tape each corner.

*I would practice on scrape fabric and frame before attempting to frame your lovely art work.

I do put my needle work under glass,,, BUT,,, I put in uber thin shims of wood (like a piece of toothpick) between the glass at each coner and a small piece on each side, (2 top sides and 2 side sides) and the cloth to keep the glass off the fabric and floss and allow for air to circulate. Plus it keeps the dust off the needle work.

layer in this order:
1. back board
2. cloth
3. matt board
4. wood shims
5. glass
6. frame

After everything is assembled, I use heavy duty gift wrap, cut it to size of the frame and then I run a thin bead of glue all around the back side of the frame,, and attach the gift wrap or any complimentary paper, That covers up the tape that is securing the cloth.
Then print up a label, with the name of the project if there is one, the date completed and your name. That way, some day your recipient's family will know it was lovingly hand stitched by you..

But,, if you have a Micheals Crafts store near you,, save their coupon and have it professionally done, they'll guide you in picking out the perfect frame, matt and then assemble it for you.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 16 2020 11:17:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6393 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6393 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2020 :  09:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Krista, beautiful #129321;!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Holy cow. That is a complicated process. Not what I was expecting. It supposed to be a Christmas gift for my mom so a professional framer isn’t going to happen, but I’m not sure I’m able to accomplish all those steps in my time frame without any help. So I will probably give it to her as is and then tell her we will frame it after Christmas. That way she can have a say in what she prefers. Thanks ladies.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  2:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, why not turn it into a deco pillow,, using a lovely fabric for the back side,, and sewing a basic square or rectangle pillow is super simple...
and,, after adding the stuffing,, and before stitching it closed,, you could write a little 'love note' and tuck it inside with the batting.. and then stitch it closed..
When I was making lap quilts for the Children's hospital in Fresno, CA.,, I would often times cut our a heart shape from plain fabric,, then write on it, "Sewn with love, may you be blessed"...
No one will ever know it's there except me.. but I felt like I was 'wrapping' the recipient in love...

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 18 2020 2:05:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I love that. Except I am terrible with sewing. I’m so proud of how the cross stitch turned out that I don’t want to mess it up with sewing lol. I decided I will get it ironed and place it in a temp frame just for the purpose of Christmas gifting and then afterwards I will take my mom to get it professionally done! Then I will know it’s done correctly lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  4:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Krista, just a thought, but I was always told to never leave your cross stitching in the hoop when you put it down. Supposed to help so you don't get creases on your material. Been a while since i cross stitched, so I don't remember if it helped or not. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Usually, if you do forget to unhoop when you do your pressing you can release those hoop marks by spraying with white vinegar and water 50/50.
Kathy

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” — Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile
I just steam iron mine on the backside and frame in a regular frame myself. I have never had any problems with any of my pieces. The glass keeps them dust free. I have a family tree I did for my parents years ago and it is just as nice as ever. You could find a frame you like and then use the cardboard that comes with the frame and center the piece and tape it on the backside. Place it on the glass part and slide in the back.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thank you for the advice. It actually makes a lot a sense and I probably would have saved myself a lot of creases by doing that! Lol!

Thank you Kathy. I haven't ironed it out yet so I will try this today.

Denise, I actually purchased a frame yesterday to try this. I will have to try it out tonight and see if it works.

Krista

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  6:02:04 PM  Show Profile
When I was a fanatical cross stitcher,, I used white tissue paper in the hoop so that it would/could be layed over the aida cloth, so I would bot get any dirty or oily marks from my hands on the cloth...
Now, I am not so fussy,, but then I don't do much cross stitch anymore...
Now I do mostly small mini projects....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  1:06:10 PM  Show Profile
That is also a good idea, Grace. I have so many new things for the next time around! Well this is how I finished my cross stitch for my mom. She loved it!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2020 :  05:23:05 AM  Show Profile
That's beautiful Krista! Love the frame you chose.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2020 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Denise!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Next cross stitch questions! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page