texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2021 :  11:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Same here, picking berries and will make a three berry jam. I also made a big batch of home made lemonade. All year long (even dead of winter), I have a pot of iced tea, unsweetened in the fridge. In summer, I put lemon and fresh garden mint in it. I usually do not drink sweetened drinks, but for summer, there is nothing better than homemade lemonade, lightly sweet, nice and tart!

I also have been baking two loaves of fresh sourdough every week. Soon it will be time to make homemade pesto to go with it. I froze enough pesto last year to keep all year long! We have one jar left from last year, which I may open and pour over pasta and throw fresh tomatoes in with it for a quick meal.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2021 :  6:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Picked the last of my peas today and pulled the plants. Spent too long this morning trying to get the garden weeded. No I did not finish lol. I went till I could not bend over anymore. Too wet to get on my hands and knees yet. We finally got rain. But the weeds pull nicely. Picked a couple handfuls of beans, they are just starting. dried celery, last years left over garlic, and have parsley going now. Cherry/grape tomatoes are starting to ripen too. I have been seeing blackberries are starting to ripen. I hope to find enough to make juice and make jelly. ordered some beans to can this fall when it is cooler. Get chili beans made again. We had a late frost so not too many apples around this year. Happy gardening, cooking and baking.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2021 :  10:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok, here's a great recipe for all of you farmgirls battling with the heat over there in the US. It is avocado picking season here, so all of the farmers are selling their excess produce in road-side stalls or giving them away. We are eating avocados for breakfast, lunch and dinner it seems. Anyway, I have been finding any recipe with avocado to use them up and came across this yummy recipe for avocado ice-cream:-

Puree 2 avocados, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup coconut cream and a squeeze of lemon in a blender or processor, until smooth.
Pour into bowl or tray and freeze until set.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2021 :  10:46:16 PM  Show Profile
And, here is my recipe for Avocado & Chocolate Mousse:-

Whizz up 1/4 cup fresh dates, 1/2 cup maple syrup, & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract in a processor or blender.
Add the flesh of 2 avocados and 1/3 cup cocoa powder, then process until creamy.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
(I added some Orange Blossom Water to the mixture that I made today. You could probably try adding Rose Water too).

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  3:03:55 PM  Show Profile

Michele how do you make your chili beans?

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  5:13:32 PM  Show Profile
This recipe came from a friends mom. Chili Beans. wash 20 cups of pinto or red beans. cover with cold water and soak overnight. drain. Add to beans 4 cup chopped onion, 1 1/2 cup chili powder, 1/2 cup salt, 1 teaspoon pepper 2 quarts of canned tomatoes, 30 cups of boiling water. Boil 5 minutes. pack into quart jars leaving 2 inches from top. Fill with the liquid to 1/2 inch. Process according to your area. I processed 1.5 hours at 11 pounds My notes from last year was to leave 2.5 to 3 inches from top of jar. I am going to guess i used tomato sauce that I had made, instead of canned tomatoes. I don't remember, but I don't have canned tomatoes so it had to be sauce. They are good.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2021 :  03:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Picked grapes last night, will make some juice out of them I think. I still have some out there and I will make jam out of those. The deer have started eating the leaves and some grapes. Got enough blackberries now to juice and make jelly too. Froze corn the night before. Nice to beat those coons to it. Been picking small amounts of beans and freezing. I did can 5 pints the other night too. Haying is on the agenda again starting tomorrow. Taking a couple days off of work and I should be able to get canning done while I wait for the dew to dry. the Harvest is on. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2021 :  05:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, happy harvesting, haying, canning, freezing, and all that you do. I didn't see sleeping in all the above.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  03:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Had enough for 5 quarts of juice. Sara I do go to bed early at night. lol Dehydrator is going with basil, and sage. Added my moms loveage for her last night.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2021 :  11:00:12 AM  Show Profile
My kitchen has been quiet over the last several months. I've cooked only what was needed to get me through the day. This week it has rained and our temps are in the 70s & 80s - rare temps for Aug in Texas so my kitchen has been busy.

One day I made four meatloaf and veg hobo dinners; Three grass fed ground beef patties with veg. All went into the freezer. I had one lb of the ground beef left and I was going to cook it with mushrooms and rice but my plans changed. My great-great nephew's wife's mother died so I made baked pasta to take their their house.

Over the next several days I'll be drying 2 bunches of kale; 2 bunches of collard greens. I'll cook one bunch of Swiss chard.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 19 2021 11:03:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2021 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like here Sara. For some reason, I just can't get into my normal summer "put it up" mood
Maybe because we have a 3 month old Dobie puppy. Little sweet HANDFUL!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2021 :  04:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara sounds like you are getting a good start now for fall. Good luck with everything. Got potatoes dug and put away. Still need to process, but that is for a rainy day. Elderberry picking last night. Tomatoes are turning now too. Haying is done, so good to have that out of the way. Happy cooking.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2021 :  04:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, puppies are a joy but like you said "they can be a handful.

Michelle, happy elderberry picking. Seems like you have a rotation of good things to harvest.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2021 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Canned 13 pints of little potatoes today. 6 various size jelly jars of blackberry jelly, froze broccoli. I have 5 pints of tomato sauce in the canner now. Been a productive day. Got elderberries almost dry, that I will send to my sister in Montana. Gave my beans away.....lol Next up carrots? Maybe or maybe not, a break first. So far so good on jars sealing. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2021 :  11:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Every body has been busy! Thanks for giving me the motivation to get busy! So far I have frozen a lot of blackberries. The blackberry bush has been very good to us this year. 10 pounds of strawberries frozen. 72 ears of corn (off the cob) frozen. 5 half pints of tomato preserves (my grandma's recipe) canned, 5 half pints of blackberry jelly. I'm not sure how much zucchini I've shredded and froze for breads and cakes, but I know it's a lot. Tomatoes are really starting to come in, so I've made 46 oz of tomato sauce. Will be making more as the tomatoes ripen. As well as pizza sauce on the list. As far as dehydrating: so far, sage, rosemary, sweet basil, pepper flakes, marjoram, oregano, parsley. Still have St. John Wort and horehound to go. I store each herb in a 13 oz jar and have about 15 total jars filled with different herbs.

Everyone have a great day!

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2021 :  08:15:04 AM  Show Profile
I've got a new kitchen toy to play with - an Egg Pod - like you see on TV. I used it this morning and it made four perfect hard boiled eggs and the shells came off in one piece. Ate two for breakfast and the other two will be for tomorrow's lunch.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  04:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Toys are fun!! Enjoy the Eggs Sara. Theresa, you have been busy with the harvest too. Nice job. I cut my corn last night, and fed to the cows. Tonight I will pick the last of the tomatoes I hope. And do some more drying of herbs and celery. The garden is winding down.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  06:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Michele, yes the garden is winding down as well as me.... LOL. Still have carrot, they should be ready in a couple more weeks, then need to split the horseradish and process some. I think I'm ready for winter LOL

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  06:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Michelle and Theresa, even with y'all's gardens winding down y'll are still so busy.

Theresa, I have always wanted to grow horseradish but never have. Any tips on how to begin. Also how do you process it?

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2021 :  04:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Got the last of the basil dry, finally. Got a few more herbs, and maybe celery to dry or freeze yet. It is apple season now. We had a late frost, so we did not get alot of apples. I have enough to freeze, or can and dry. I can't keep them very long, so best to process them. Got some pressure canning to do when it gets colder. Next weekend we will be working on the wood pile. Full wood pile, full freezers, and full canning shelves. Should be set for the winter.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2021 :  05:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Michelle you are so right about what a great feeling it is to have a full freezer and shelves for the winter. Don't have a wood pile, but I do remember the wood stove when growing up, so I know how important they are.

I was going to harvest herbs this morning but woke to thunder. The herbs can wait we so need the rain.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  11:11:49 AM  Show Profile
I have been hiding from the craziness of the world ... if you need to find me, I'm in my kitchen testing new recipes. I've been baking a lot .. breads mainly ... tweaking a few disasters while enjoying every moment of it.

I made an attempt at making pitas .... I stink at pita. Don't let the photo fool you, they did not all puff/separate.

When life gives you un-puffed pitas .... you make pita chips!

I also make a batch of flat breads. I do not stink at flat breads. They are quite delish. They freeze well and take no take to thaw. I enjoy them with soup ... a recently made batch of mushroom soup.

Made bruschetta with fresh basil .... I am inundated with basil. OMG, amazing on those pita chips!

I finally bought an upright freezer ... to be delivered this coming Friday. I can't wait to fill it with lots of homemade goodies.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 15 2021 11:13:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  03:20:17 AM  Show Profile
They look very good!! Have fun!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  08:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Put up 7 pints apple pie filling. I used Granny Smith and Pink Lady. Thanks to Connie's chart on the Apple Festive Post I knew to use Pink Lady for pie filling. First time for me to try that apple.

All jars sealed but one - hopefully it will seal by morning. If not it will go into the fridge.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile
You will enjoy those jars this winter for sure!! I have been drying cucumber chips. Flavored with dry ranch dressing, and some with onion salt and garlic powder. My first batch of cuk seed I planted in the garden did not even come up. The second planting.......I planted all the left over seed thinking I would get a couple plants at least. Well every dang seed came up. lol Lots of cuks that the chickens are enjoying too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page