YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  1:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Krista, enjoy your time in the kitchen with your oldest son. Make a lot of special memories.

When Dustin was nine he made microwave beer bread. Never knew where he found the recipe. He made a batch and asked if he could take it to school to share with his friends. I said yes and I thought that was the end of the beer bread. I was wrong. In the coming days I learnt he had taken the bread to school for show & tell along with the egg shells, flour sack, and the empty can of beer. I can only imagine the look on his teacher's face when he took out the beer can. At that time we lived in a town of 2400 with a half a dozen of churches. He got a A for his presentation and when I asked why he hadn't told me he said "I wouldn't had let him", and he was right.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2020 :  02:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Great memory Sara. lol Plus he got an A, that is great. Today is smokin day on this farm. Bacon and hams are ready to go. Also have a pork roast to smoke to make pulled pork sandwiches to feed the guys.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2020 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Happy smoking, Michelle.

Harvesting sage this morning to dry for my sister. No sage in stores around here.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2020 :  09:20:49 AM  Show Profile
The sage is in the dehydrator and the stems and bad leaves are out in my Yellow Rose Cottage. Sage like other herbs is an insect deterrent. It doesn't kill them but a lot of insects don't like the smell and will leave. Herbs to use beside sage are rosemary, penny royal, bay, & mint. There are others but these are the ones that come to mind.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  03:18:45 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas Sara, with the herbs. I will have to remember that for next year. Smokin pork went well. And last night we sliced up bacon and packaged up the hams. All are in the freezer. Thankful that job is done. 4 of us worked on slicing and packaging so that went well. One ham will be cooked for Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas Everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  06:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Home smoked bacon has to be good. Enjoy!

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I'll make some of these cookies today . . . just because . . . . Ham, the last of the acorn squash from our garden and fresh pineapple upside down cake with yummy Texas pecans for dinner tomorrow. Is anybody else gaining weight these days? Just askin'. Merry Ho Ho and here's to a better New Year.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  4:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Those cookies are adorable Jean, I may have to make some too.

Is anyone else getting a head start on tomorrow's Christmas dinner cooking? I have been preparing some of the sides to help make everything run smoothly tomorrow.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2020 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Love those cookies Jean. Perfect for this year

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Awww/ Is this where everyone has gone? No more “What’s for Dinner” thread? Should I stop posting there? :(

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I started this thread for all the preserving we do because we had several threads going and sometimes it was hard for me to find the one I wanted if it had been a long time between postings. I've always enjoyed your "What's for Dinner?" thread though I have been laying low doing the holidays and not posting as much. I hope to be more active in the coming new year.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2020 :  03:09:35 AM  Show Profile
My canning, freezing and drying season is done for the winter. Now it is time to use all that work from the summer. The canning season will start again in March with maple syrup. So a few months to rest up. Unless we get some mild weather and the boys decide to start creating with their venison. I will only be a helper on that endeavor, which is a good thing.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2020 :  03:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Michelle enjoy your "rest" time March will be here before you know it.

I have a few onions to dry for more onion powder. I've used the onion powder more than I thought I would. So handy to have on hand when I don't want to mess with chopping an onion.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2020 :  02:40:27 AM  Show Profile
sara do you make onion and garlic salt as well? I have seen recipes but have not tried them. I chop up onion and dehydrate them. Then I store in a gallon jar. We sprinkle dried onion in recipes, using as fresh chopped.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2020 :  04:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I've made celery salt but have found I don't use it much. I like using plain Kosher salt and powders separately. Does some of your dried onions turn a pinkish color? This batch and the last one did. Looked it up on line and it has to do with the sugar content in onions.

I've used the dried chopped onions too in soups but only kept them in a pint jar. No gal jars around here.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 30 2020 04:57:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2020 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Jean, those cookies are adorable!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2020 :  02:58:20 AM  Show Profile
No pink onions here. I grew and dried all yellow onions. They were powerful this year too. Haha

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Starting yesterday thru several weeks I'll be drying veggies for mixes. Ordered six 8oz baby portabella mushrooms; 6 pkgs green onions; and six 3 ct garlic. All have been prepped; 2 trays of mushrooms in dehydrator; almost a gal zip-lock bag of mushrooms in fridge that have been put through the food processor; green onions also have been through food processor; garlic cleaned but needs rough chopping and processing in food processor.

Next week it'll be yellow onions, celery, and bell peppers.
Another week three different dried chilies to make chili powders.
As I go along I know I will add more things to my drying list.

I have several mixes in mind I want to do and will add more. Also working on the new Farm Kitchen badge where I choose what I work on so I chose mixes.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2021 :  06:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara your one busy lady, wow great job on all you do. I have been keeping up with cheese making on the weekends. Yesterday moz., today colby pressed cheese. Last weekend was cream cheese, that I put in the freezer. And when i get enough cream, churning butter. Sara do you dry only one variety at a time or do you load up your trays with an assortment of vegetables and herbs? Like one tray for peppers, one for garlic and dry them at the same time? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on that subject.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2021 :  06:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I think you are busier Cheese making must be satisfying.

My dehydrator has two trays. When drying most herbs I will dry them together but spaced apart on the trays. Strong smelling veggies like onions and garlic I dry separately. Veggies like mushrooms and eggplant that take on flavors I dry separately unless I want them to have a flavor of an herb that I will dry with them.

Six 8oz portabella mushrooms yield: 1 full quart
Six pkg green onions yield: 1 full quart
18 garlic bulbs yield: a little over 1/2 quart
All are dried and in pantry ready for adding to mixes.

As I make the mixes I will use coffee/herb grinder to make powders or leave the veggies as is.

I want to create my own mixes but also will use recipes I find on-line or in cookbooks. I ordered two how-to-make-mixes cookbooks off Amazon to help with recipes and also measurements. One will arrive today and the other tomorrow.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2021 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you will have your own shop before long!
I need to make some of those dried mixes too!
I wanted to let you guys know that last summer I bought several dozen ears of gorgeous bicolor corn from the Amish market, at a busy time, and didn't have time to process.
I had heard the Mrs Wolfie freezes with the husk still on. I cut off the stem part and some of the tassel and was able to fit about 6-8 in a gallon freezer bag. I pulled some out on Friday, microwaved for about 6 minutes with the husk still on(you can bake too). It was moist, not mushy, and, well, fresh corn on the cob in January!!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  04:24:27 AM  Show Profile
Wow good to know Lisa. Sara your mixes make me think.........something to do. lol yummy yummy yummy

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  09:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Michele - I have dried different herbs together with no problem. As for garlic, I never put anything else in the dehydrator with garlic. I'm always afraid other things will smell and taste like garlic. I dry tomatoes alone, last summer I had enough grape tomatoes to fill the dehydrator each time.
I've made Cheddar cheese, Sage Cheddar and cream cheese that I have been happy with. Tried Monterey Jack and it was not so good. My plan is to make one or two cheddars a month and hopefully not need to buy any from the store. I hope to start this in spring.
How long can you keep cream cheese in the freezer? One batch makes so much!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2021 :  03:31:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Andrea, I have mixed different trays of herbs in the dehydrator too just want not sure if anyone else did that. The cream cheese keeps, until I use it. I make 2 or more batches a year. So at least 6 months my best guess. I make it in my big roaster. Adding milk and homemade buttermilk. 1 cup to a gallon of milk. Keep it around 80, then once it gets thick like yogurt, turn it up to 150 till it has whey separating on top. Then hang in cheese cloth to drain. Add salt and freeze. I have aged cheese, but we much prefer fresh around a week or two old. Yield on the cream cheese was about 13 cups of cream cheese to 3 gallons of milk. Evelyn gives us more then enough milk to create with. What I don't use gets dumped on the field and it really seems to increase the hay yield. It is always taller and thicker where I dump milk over the winter.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2021 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile
I made my annual batch of marmalade from the Satuma orange and Kumquat tree in our yard. Marmalade is one of my favorite jams and I use ChillOver powder so that I don’t need as much sugar. The tang of the marmalade is what I enjoy on toast and even baked sweet potatoes. It is also good for a sweetener with sour cream for a fruit salad.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page