ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I have had bad luck with cookie presses; OXO and other brands work great the first one or two times I use them then they quit pushing out the soft dough. Can anyone recommend a cookie press that will hold up to being used a few times a year? I miss making my Danish butter cookies!

Dawn in IL

"Be present in all things and thankful for all things." Maya Angelou

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  5:20:31 PM  Show Profile
I was given an electric press that my mother in law had. She never had any luck with the dang thing. I have found that if I use the recipe that came with the thing, it works great. I happen to love it. Good luck in finding one Dawn.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2020 :  6:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele. I've tried the recipes that came with OXO but the gun/press broke and I bought another, same thing. It too broke after making a batch. I wish I had my late mother's old metal one. That thing worked great for over 50 years!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2020 :  08:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, if you can find an old Wilton, those are solid workhorses. They still make them, but I think the older ones were more well constructed (as is the case with nearly everything LOL)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2020 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I will look it up. Recommendations are all over the place on Amazon and Google.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2020 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile
I looked on eBay and found tons of Wilton Cookie Presses. You might check there and maybe you will find one that you might like. Kathy

May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.
Author UnKnown
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2020 :  06:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy! The problem I have with the gun type cookie presses is the trigger stops working no matter how soft my dough is. I had the OXO and Wilton both quit after only a couple of batches. I'm wonder if I should try a pastry bag and star tip?

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2020 :  07:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Dawn,
A pastry bag and tubes would work well. You can use the flower tubes as well, I used to decorate cakes and I am familiar with them. It is worth a try. I would use disposable bags to start with, just in case, this doesn't work for you. Good Luck with your experiment and have fun, Kathy

May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.
Author UnKnown
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2020 :  12:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I have a Wilton and it still works. I only use it during Christmas time so I’m not much help as far as excessive use. I hope you can find one or something that works great for you. Good luck.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2020 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy & Krista. I really have a taste for making Danish butter cookies like my late mom used to. They are delicious anytime of the year. I guess I could give the Wilton another go and see if it is up to the job!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  04:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I bought the best cookie press I have ever owned at a hardware store. It is not the gun type but the kind where you just turn the handle on top. It screws down until empty. It is metal so keeps the dough colder longer and you can chill the press ahead of time or pop it in the fridge while waiting for trays of cookies to bake. I can't think of the brand but will check.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 01 2020 04:48:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  05:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise. That is what my mom's old one was like, it was a Mirro. It was a shower gift for my mom back in 1957. I see online folks had ordered it used ones and were disappointed that only the press came, not the inserts. So I really don't want to order anything used. I will check the hardware stores by me to see what brands they have.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  09:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Mine is a Mirror brand Dawn. I wouldn't order online unless they specified they came with the inserts. I hope you can find one.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2020 :  11:40:03 AM  Show Profile
I had them break all the time. Then I found one at an estate sale for $2.00! It is the best! It works and works and never breaks. It is the Mirro from the 40’s or 50’s. As everyone says, if you can find one it is the best! Look on Facebook marketplace, Etsy and Ebay. Vintage ones are awesome!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2020 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole. My late mother's had been a bridal shower gift given to her in 1957. I don't know what happened to it after she died. It had always worked perfectly before it vanished in 2011. They definitely don't make them like they used to!

Dawn in IL

Make it a December to remember!
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  8:47:21 PM  Show Profile
I bought a new Wilton cookie press on eBay and it came with 12 inserts. The inserts were Holiday designs, pumpkin, snowman, turkey and etc. I paid $15. and that included shipping! It is so easy to use I just love it. Kathy

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” — Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2020 :  9:04:10 PM  Show Profile
After reading all of the recipes for drying food I decided that I would love to try my hand at this. So I ordered a dehydrator and am sitting by my mailbox waiting for my package to arrive!
When my son comes home for Christmas I am going to ask him to turn over a small garden spot just for tomatoes and peppers. I have a Mantas so I can't get too ambitious but 3 or 4 tomatoes and a few peppers should do me well.
Thank you all,
Kathy

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” — Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cookie Press Recommendations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page