Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls...

I have two beautiful acorn squash. Your favorite ways to prepare?

Ready...

GO!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  08:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Cut in half; scoop out seeds; place cut side up on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper; a little Kosher salt and black pepper; butter and real maple syrup. Over with foil. Remove foil half way through cooking. Cook until tender in 425 oven.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile
We love winter squash---we have so many stored. We grow speckled hounds---much tastier than acorns. We fry or bake them and season them with chili powder-cumin-paprika-and garlic salt and pepper---so good,
they are also delicious cooked with potatoes and mashed. Try the speckled hounds next year---they keep all winter and get tastier with age---and they always produce a bumper crop.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2020 :  5:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh yum. We grow 'em too and always have them for Thanksgiving fixed the way Grammer did --
Cut in half and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in a baking dish with a little water. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and pour off any remaining water. Turn over and cut slits in the meaty part to absorb the add-ins. Sprinkle in brown sugar, cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste, chopped dates or raisins, tsp. maple syrup and dot generously with butter. Put back in oven and bake for another 30 minutes. Too delicious!!.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Nov 14 2020 5:34:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  3:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Cut acorn squash in half. Scrape the seeds & guts out. Bake at 350 cut side up until tender, about 30 minutes. Cook white rice. Cook sweet Italian sausage (or ground pork, just add seasoning) with some onions. Combine rice & sausage. Add some chopped apple, some sage, some cinnamon. Stuff squash with the rice/sausage mixture. Put some shredded cheddar on top. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted.

If you have 2 acorn squash a pound of sausage is plenty. You want equal amounts of sausage and rice. One apple is enough. About a teaspoon of sage, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. I like to mix some cheddar in with the rice/sausage.

Sorry I don't have exact measurements. The original recipe I found called for wild rice, half as much sausage and no apple. I wanted this for a main dish so more sausage and I just bought apples from the orchard and knew they would be good.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  7:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow, Andrea, that sounds delicious. Got some leftover rice in the fridge, one apple in the fruit bowl, and plenty of sausage on hand. Might just have to try that for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  8:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! that squash recipe sounds delicious! I am going to try that.
Kathy

Family is
GOD's
Greatest Masterpiece
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  8:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole!

Oh my, everything sounds so good!!! And Andrea - that sounds absolutely DELISH!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Okay - this is one of our favorite ways to serve up squash. I originally made it with yellow squash, but have since used all different kinds of squash - including acorn squash - and it's still MMM-MM-MWAH! Good! It's hearty, and definitely not for the skinny at heart, but trust me - so good!

Sausage, Squash & Kale Casserole

1 ½ lbs ground sausage
3 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red chili pepper, minced
7 large kale leaves, rinsed well and drained, spine removed and cut into pieces
1 medium to large yellow squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cubed into ½ inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, cut in half, then sliced lengthwise
1 medium red onion, cut in half, then sliced lengthwise
4 ½ cups (1 quart jar) of herbed seasoned stuffing mix
1 ½ c. water, boiling
1 c. cinnamon applesauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup mix
1 cup sour cream
¾ cup milk
8 oz. cheddar, cubed very small (or shredded)
½ cup. bread crumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons butter, divided
Oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Sautee ground sausage, garlic and chili pepper. Drain. Transfer ground sausage to large bowl.

In same skillet, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Lightly sautee kale. Move to bowl with ground sausage.

In same skillet, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter. Sautee onions and squash until soft. Move to bowl with sausage and kale. Mix well.

In large bowl, add stuffing mix, water and applesauce. Mix well.

In small bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk and cheese. Mix well.

To the stuffing add the sausage and soup mixtures. Mix well. Pour into 9 x 13 pan (I did not grease pan, but you can). Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Shave the remaining butter all over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Serve as a meal or side dish. YUM!

Enjoy! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2020 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile
These all sound good, but don't forget, the squash is good all alone. I peeled and chunked one last night, sauteed in a bit of butter, added just a tad of salt, and it was delicious. I like to cook mine so they still have just a hint of crunch.
So glad my squash were prolific this year.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Acorn squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page