YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  07:30:13 AM  Show Profile
I ordered duck this morning from Aldi. Never have cooked it or even eaten it, but have always wanted to give it a try. I need cooking hints and recipes.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sara - my sons and grandsons are hunters, every year I have a good supply of wild duck and goose, I have used this recipe when roasting duck and geese and never been disappointed. I do not put the lemon in the cavity, I use an onion or sometimes an apple. I have used potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions, squash and other veggies.

1 domesticated duck or 2 very fat wild ducks
1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 lemon, cut in half 4 sprigs sage, rosemary, parsley or thyme
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Using a needle or a sharp knife point, prick the skin of the duck all over -- but be sure to not pierce the meat itself, only the skin. This lets the fat render out and will help crisp the skin. Pay special attention to the back, the flanks, and the very front of the breast.
2. Rub the cut lemon all over the duck and stick it inside the cavity. Liberally salt the bird; use a little more salt than you think you need. Stuff the duck with the herbs. Let the bird sit out for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
3. When you are ready to roast, put the duck on an iron frying pan or other ovenproof pan and surround it with root vegetables. Set the pan in the oven. Cook for 1 hour like this. Small ducks (wood ducks, wigeon, teal, ruddies, etc.) only need 40 minutes. If you are roasting a goose, increase the roasting time to 1 hour, 20 minutes. After the allotted time, take the pan out of the oven and set the ducks on a cutting board to rest. Spoon any fat that has accumulated over the vegetables and salt them well. veggies are ready to eat, remove them. If there is a lot of excess fat, spoon it off.
4. Now increase the heat to 450°F. When the oven hits this temperature, roast the birds for up to 30 more minutes, or until the skin is crisp. The reason you take the bird out of the oven is because
a) the resting time helps redistribute the juices in the bird midstream, and
b) you are crisping skin without totally overcooking the duck by only returning it to the oven when it is hot.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  08:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Gail, I'll print the recipe. No duck today since the truck hadn't showed up. I'll try again in a couple of days to see if they have duck.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara---My husband has talked for years of roasting a duck---but we never have. Please let us know how it turned out and if you liked it. Good luck.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  11:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, so far no duck at Aldi. The Paris store doesn't always get the specialty meats even when they are in the ad. Hoping it will come in by Mon.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  2:52:07 PM  Show Profile
When you get it---don't forget to tell about it. Will look forward to what you have to say. We may try one if you think it is good.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2020 :  3:31:55 PM  Show Profile
I've had duck at Chinese restaurants. It has a very strong flavor. Please do let us know how you like it.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2020 :  06:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I like duck- the wild duck is gamey and different from a domesticated duck. If you have hunters in your family give wild duck a try.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Duck Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page