Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Day in the Life of Farmgirl of November
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Day in the Life of Farmgirl of November Next Topic
Page: of 3

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile
And so it begins – my reign as Ms. November Farmgirl of the Month. What an honor, and I am so looking forward to getting better acquainted with many more of you. In that spirit, I have decided to create A Day in the Life of Farmgirl of November. As y’all know by now I am somewhat of a newbie to the Connection. You’ll get to know me better and I hope you will respond and I’ll get to know you better too. So here goes:

Sunday, November 1, 2020
Mary Jane’s wonderful calendar tells us this is American Indian Heritage Month, National Novel Writing Month and I’m So Thankful Month. Daylight Savings Time ended and today is All Saints’ Day as well as my Dad’s birthday – He would be 124 today. And that brings to mind my grandmother's
cast iron skillets that I inherited from him and Mary Jane’s marvelous Cast Iron Kitchen book that inspired me to restore them all. Yes, cast iron is bulky but nothing cooks better. Doing a Rigatoni dish in my Dutch oven tonight. DH is Italian and so I cook his favorite pastas most Sundays this time of the year. He is glued to football on TV September to February, so it’s always a full studio day for me. Today I have been working on beaded Christmas Spiders. My fingers and eyeballs are tired.
I received so many heartwarming greetings today from many of you . . . so you know what I am so thankful for, don’t you? YOU!

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  6:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh,Jean what a wonderful gift to inherit! I too love my cast iron and would not trade it for anything. I like how you have them hanging, I keep mine in the oven until I need the oven.
This will e fun a day in the life of Jean our November Farmgirl of the Month.
Have fun. Good Night until tomorrow.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  9:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I bet you have some very sturdy bolts holding up the fry pan rack! I keep mine stacked in the cupboard by the stove. Two of mine came from grandmothers. Nothing better to cook in.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  12:48:55 AM  Show Profile
First off Jean Congratulations on becoming Farmgirl of the Month Of November!!
I can hardly believe November is here already! I'm not ready for Fall let alone November!

My Mother had a 100 year Old Cast Iron Pan that had been handed down in her Family!
I should have kept it but didn't. I am sure she is turning over in her grave. But there was
very little I kept of hers but Family Pictures...and a few heirlooms that were precious to me.
I live in an Apartment and have no room for what I have let a lone my Mother's and Aunt's
stuff. I have learned that the stuff one has when they die are their personal treasures but
rarely do families want their stuff..because they have enough stuff of their own to deal
with. I know my kids will feel the same way.

Have a Wonderful Month and we are so happy to get to know you better!!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  04:13:46 AM  Show Profile
First off, Congratulations as FGOTHM! Second, wow! Love your display of your wonderful cast iron. What a neat thing to inheriit. I love cooking on cast iron. Most of what I make is in cast iron.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Jean good to have this chance to learn about you. Love your collection cast iron. I have a small collection and use it if not daily several times a week. I'll be looking for you around the farm.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  05:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Jean,

Wow! that's a great collection of cast iron. Looks like you can do just about anything in it. I currently only have a skillet and a pie plate of cast iron. My brother took my mothers cast iron skillets, so I am starting up what will be my small collection. I am currently looking for an aebelskiver pan - any suggestions of a good one?

Have fun in your month.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  06:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jean, again huge congratulations! I'm so happy for you! You are such a happy delight and inspiration to me just in the short amount of time we've interacted! Enjoyed the story of your cast iron pots! I inherited one from my mom and that was enough to be a blessing to me. I'm in love with what it can do! Bet the beaded spiders are adorns. Used to make those when I was much younger. Enjoy your month dear farmsister!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
What a fun you must have with all of that cast iron! I have my Mom's cast iron frying pan. It is one of the square ones. It's amazing for frying eggs in. I also have a small flat bottomed dutch oven, I call it my house dutch oven. This is because my husband keeps trying to take it cook outside. Both of these pieces live on top of my stove. There is no reason to put them away. I use one of them daily.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog

www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shop

www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile
WOW! How fun to learn about all your cast iron . . . invoke some memories for you like it does for me?? And, yes, Judith I'm sure there must be a transparent brace stretching to China to hold that rack in place. DH did a lot of research before coming up with that particular one. I have more pieces that don't show in the photo -- Muffin, tart and cornstick pans along with a Dutch Oven and the Griddle that you can see on top of the rack. I have added several more modern pieces too and my brother bought my hubby a Dutch oven along with it's own cook table set-up to use outdoors . . . Oh, that Peach Cobbler is to die for!!

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Nov 02 2020 10:10:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  2:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Glad you are FGOTM----love your skillets---I use cast iron too---it never wears out for sure. I am glad my husband hates football---LOL. I sure do hate it. Will look forward to your posts. I am so glad for the fall and the early darkness-I love it. Time for good long relaxing evenings. November first was my mom's birthday----she would be 101/ how did we get so OLD? I always refused to grow up and here I am an 0ld woman. Still a kid a heart.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  2:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Jean!!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  3:18:13 PM  Show Profile
Monday, November 2, 2020
Woo Hoo! I have received greetings from West Virginia, Wyoming, Alabama, Texas, Connecticut, Washington, California, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Ohio, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Florida. . . All over these great United States and that brings to mind how thankful I am to live in America where a single mom of two, without enough education or work experience, could survive and thrive to overcome the obstacles in her way without having to resort to doing some unspeakable things to provide for her children as she might in other parts of the world. Aren’t we all blessed to live here in the good ole’ U S of A? Yes, our nation is in a state of unrest now between this crazy pandemic and the political turmoil. But we have choices and a voice that would not be available to us in many other places. We can choose how we respond to COVID-19 (Please, choose wisely and safely and wear those masks when out and about). And most important on this Election Eve – we have a voice. How ever you choose to vote – PLEASE VOTE – tomorrow. It’s the American way to show that you are a thankful, responsible citizen.jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  7:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Jean.. Hugz & AMEN..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  10:04:25 AM  Show Profile
congrats from Iowa. I have visited Idaho many times growing up as my grandparents lived in Emmett and an aunt in Boise. Beautiful state. Nice to meet you Jean.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you Jean on the importance of all of us voting today.
This is a difficult time for all of us right now so our voices need to be heard.
I believe history will be made today and our country will start to heal.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Nov 03 2020 1:08:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  1:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Well the news will be all taken up today with the Election of course. This time it will probably be several days or more before we get a real result. And, in spite of all the rhetoric regurgitation, that brings to mind. . . how many Presidents there have been during my lifetime: FDR, Harry Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, Lyndon Johnson, Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Regan, George Bush, Bill Clinton, GW Bush, Obama and Donald Trump. All either Democrat or Republican. But it’s interesting to look at a complete Presidential list and realize that our very first President, George Washington, had no party affiliation. Then there was a long period of various affiliations shown such as Whigs, National Union, Federalist and Democratic-Republican – now that’s an interesting designation. Does that mean that at one time the two affiliations were aligned in thought and purpose? Kind of makes me wonder if we weren’t better off before the individual Democrat and Republican parties “took over” and started battling with each other. I’ll have to do some more research and see what those various affiliations really stood for. Did our previous Presidents focus more on what was good for the nation rather than for their political party? Hmmmm, I wonder . . . but what do I know? I’m an old dinosaur and have survived 14 Presidencies from the great to the not so great. Guess I can survive a few more. I’m thankful for the free elections and the free country in which I live. I remember exactly where I was when FDR and JFK died. Do you?jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Nov 03 2020 3:14:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  7:30:42 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could take credit for this because it expresses so well how I feel tonight. But alas, I cannot. It came to me this evening from a non-Farmgirl (yet) gal pal in Maine and is credited to a site she visits called the Wild Sisterhood . . .

“No matter how this whole thing swings tomorrow y’all, we will still need to show up for one another, sharpen our tools, plant more gardens, sing more songs, resist oppressive systems,, teach our children well, learn from people who think differently than us,, take care of our elders, speak kindly to one another, protect this wild, wild earth, build collective solutions, study the seasons, learn from our ancestors, make more art.
This work will not end with an election. It will not end with an icon. It is a lifetime of effort. It is a long haul. Rest well, rise bright eyed, and prepare to keep going. Just keep going.”
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  04:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Jean, a little late on the draw here but congratulations again on being November's FGOTM.
Love your cast iron display. Mine all hangs on a pegboard in my walk in pantry. Except the Dutch oven. That's on a shelf below the pegboard. I love using mine. So does JT but he doesn't like cleaning it after use. Lol. I think it's very easy to clean and care for.
We did our civic duty and voted. Praying the right man gets elected. I try to remember no matter what God is still in control.
I hope you enjoy your special month. Love getting to know our farmsisters!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 04 2020 04:42:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  7:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
A quiet day at Clearwater Farm today. DH helped me finish up canning applesauce. We’ve been like a couple of little chipmunks chattering and putting stuff away for winter. I’m so thankful for his help because there are so many things (like canning) that I can no longer manage by myself.
It was interesting reading on the Stitching and Crafting page today a post by Dreamer42, aka April from Oregon, about Ancestry DNA testing kits. And that brought to mind my son giving me one of those kits a few years ago for my birthday in March. And lo and behold, on April 12 that year, I received the results and the name of a possible match which appeared at the top of the list turned out to be my long lost brother that I had been looking for for over 50 years. How did I lose him, you ask? Well that’s another story for another time. But needless to say, our reunion was a tearful, heartfelt one. We were able to get together several times before Coronamadness set in and will again once it’s over. In the meantime, we stay in touch with him, his lovely wife and family. He has six children and four grandkids and lives in a neighboring state just about a 10-hour drive away. It’s so wonderful to have been reunited, and I cherish them all.
These photos show him and Mama right around the last time I saw him . . . jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Nov 04 2020 7:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2020 :  8:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, wow, Jean!! I'm teary-eyed reading about your reunion with your brother! How wonderful! A precious gift within a gift! I'm so happy you have been reconnected with your brother! God works in mysterious ways! Enjoy each other! Much love!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  06:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Jean-
That's such a great story. So glad you found your brother and that you could get together. Thank you for sharing.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  06:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jean how wonderful that you found your brother and have reconnected, such a wonderful and blessed gift.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels, and
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  10:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Jean -- How lucky you are to have found your brother among all the millions of people on this earth! I'm glad to hear that DNA testing has done some good.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jean and I enjoyed all of these posts about you, your interests and photos!! Welcome to our Farm and I am so happy you are having a wonderful month. And how exciting to have reconnected with your brother as well! This is an amazing story about how you reconnected with him. Wow!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile
This tired Farmgirl had a very busy day . . . finished up the canning, several loads of laundry and cleaned out and reorganized the linen closet. So tired I even fell asleep half way through our evening movie. So I am reminded that I need to take care of Ms. November and not let her get overextended and overexausted. The little pea brain is too tired to even write much this evening. So I'll sign off and write more tomorrow. Sleep well Farmgirls. . . jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Day in the Life of Farmgirl of November Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page