Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Saying Hello from the Suburban Farmgirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saying Hello from the Suburban Farmgirl Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  06:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I have not been by here much, especially like I used to. I certainly have missed you all! 2020 has just been so busy. There are more chores it seems, and rules to follow with all the Covid precautjons (extra laundry, extra steps to take when being out and about, , errands take FOREVER, that kind of thing).

I have also been a bit quiet for a bit, as I lost one of my oldest and dearest friends to cancer. Another big loss of 2020. She fought a good, long fight. This year alone, I have also lost three other friends, as well, to that dreaded disease!

The garden is now put to bed. What a big job that was! I have to get in to the vintage camper and get it closed up (at least get the vintage glass out, hard freeze tomorrow). We will be sad when it is all closed up completely - just a few more weeks left. We have only been “glamping” in the back yard this year. No real camping.

In my free time, (what’s that, lol) I have been sewing, knitting, and fixing up an old formica dinette table from the 1950s I “rescued”, that was covered in rust and tons of paint. It almost looks brand new! I still have a little shine to do on the chrome legs but it is getting there. The top looks perfect - amazing since it was so nasty before, lol! (Someone had used it as an outdoor potting table/craft table for their kids).

I have been cooking and baking up a storm! DD is doing college from home, so I have been keeping her in good things to eat! Her favorite thing to munch on currently is a “Fall Snack Muffin”. They are low sugar with oatmeal, and I have been putting in cranberries and sprouted pumpkin seeds. We also try to take long walks everyday, weather permitting, when we can.

Since Covid, time it takes to drive anywhere it seems has doubled! The traffic is CRAZY here, seven days a week. Every time we go somewhere, it takes twice as long as it used to. I guess everyone is moving to the suburbs!

Last week, I harvested all the basil I had grown, and made over ten jars of pesto to freeze. Have you ever done that- freeze pesto? Did you know putting a layer of olive oil on top each time after spooning some out, keeps it fresh in the refrigerator? Helps it last longer.

My house is festive - all decked out for Halloween. I love it, and can’t wait to switch it all out for JOLLY Christmas!

From what I can tell, we are still very “locked down” compared to other places, but you know us farmgirls...we know how to stay busy, productive, and happy!

My pups are all doing great. Happy to report my little baby boy (chi) has not had a pancreatic episode in two years, knock on wood! It is amazing, he is eleven now!!

How are all my farmgirl friends? What have you all been up to? Looking forward to chatting more...

Much love to you!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Edited by - texdane on Oct 29 2020 09:03:36 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Nicole so good to hear from you and catch up on what you have been up to. I have missed you but do understand how hectic your life has been. So sorry to hear about the lost of your friends. BTW I am still using the garden journal you gifted me and think of you every time I open it.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  09:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! I am so glad to hear from you, too. It has been a busy year, just a different kind of busy. I am so glad you still use your garden journal! That makes me so happy! I bet you have been busy canning and gardening. I canned jam and pickles this year. I did not do any pears like I usually do. I just didn’t get the time and missed the window for fresh ones. Made fried green tomatoes this past weekend from the last of a friend’s tomatoes. They were so good!

Take care!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole... Glad to see you here.. miss ya mucho...

Now that trailers and gardens are tucked away for the Winter,, it's time to switch gears... baking, winter decorating and Holiday gift making fills our days...

farm girl hugz
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  12:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole, it is great to hear your update and sorry for your loss of wonderful friends. You aren't the only Farmgirl baking up a storm either. I have been doing the exact same thing and working on my pie crust and summer berry pies. It has been fun and I have given away a lot of the experiments that turned out well. At our age, hubby and I don't need a bunch of desserts!! Despite the fact that we have been stuck in hot and humid weather, I did a lot of fall and Halloween decorating to celebrate my favorite time of year. Take care and keep us updated as the Holly Jolly days arrive!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Nicole,
So good to see you here again. I'm so very sorry for your losses. It has been quite the year.

Would love to know how you get the chrome cleaned up on your set. I have one that the chrome needs a lot of work but I don't know how to start. It has chairs that need the cushions repaired as well as the chrome also.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 29 2020 5:30:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry for your losses this year, Nicole. This has been a super strange year, for sure. Most of us do not want another 2020 - it is good for the eyesight, but not for all the happenings.

Your Fall Snack Muffins sound interesting - would you please pass along the recipe? We love the original oatmeal cookies, and it would be nice to have a good muffin recipe, especially if we get shutdown again.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2020 :  6:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole, so sorry for your loss .
The table sounds like a challenge. I liked your last column about the 40's.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2020 :  08:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Nicole--I so understand. Life this year has been a big butt pain for sure . I think we recover from our losses and go on---but life is never the same as when we were young---much loss---much sorrow. But we recover and go on. I feel so sorry for people in this pandemic---hubby just retired in April---because of covid---and we can stay here---acres and acres to walk on and be free. I almost cry when I think of people cooped up in cities. But this will be over sometime. I pray for people every day and for them to endure this and be strong. Love and blessings to all.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2020 :  2:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! You are all so sweet. Missed you, and am going to be back here more often. Denise and Marlene, the table was a tag sale find for $10 - covered in rust and grime and so much paint! But no cracks, so I thought why not? I used WD40, a microfiber cloth, and a nylon pot scraper to get all the layers of paint off. Then several times I used foamy glass cleaner for the grime. For the legs, I used fine steel wool, and have polished all the chrome with Mother’s Secret Chrome polish. Still a bit more to do, but it looks pretty darn pristine! I am so proud of how it came out.

Grace- I had to last minute take the vintage glass in from Gidget - we got an early snow/freeze/sleet storm! I pulled the coolers and any glass that would be damaged from extreme cold out of her. I like to close her up after Christmas, but will see. May have to early if it continues like this.

SO glad to hear from you all. Thank you!!! XOXO

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2020 :  2:26:43 PM  Show Profile
PS LInda I will post the snack muffins for you!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saying Hello from the Suburban Farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page