YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Well maybe not really a rant more like a slight irritation. Bought a bag of yellow onions last week and after tracking down a horrible smell in my kitchen I found a rotten onion. I can remember when onions seemed to last forever but now they go bad or spout in a week or so. I feel better after expressing myself. How about any of you do you have a slight irritation you would like to get off your chest. I really don't want to any hear any really bad stuff - I want to hang on to my peace.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Sara! Every so often, I get a bad potatoe in my sack of taters that smells up the joint!! LOL!!! I try and look for a dry bag, often times those produce sprinklers gets the bag wet and well, there you go... a recipe for some stink in a few days!! LOL!!! But, we farmgirls, we roll w/ the punches, don't we!! Have a beautiful weekend ahead!! xo

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes, April we FarmGirls know how to sort the irritation from a really bad thing and take it in our stride. It's almost the weekend so enjoy yours.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely the same here, Sara! It makes me INSANE. I take extra care to check the onions before I buy them at the store, and still I find one or two rotten ones every time. I have also found that they are sometime rotten only in the inner rings, so you can't always tell by looking, feeling or smelling on the outside. I think a lot of it has to do with when they are picked, how they are stored during shipping, and how long it takes to get from the farm to the grocer. Also, I was told the grocery stores will go through the produce bags, pick the bad ones out of the bag and replace them with ones from other bags. Sigh... As a result, these past few years I have been concentrating on growing as much if my own that I can, and then turning to local farms for most of what I can't before heading to the grocer. Farm fresh is always best when you can. But I know a lot of people simply dont have the luxury of a farm close by. Used to be most of what was in the grocery stores was from local farms. Not so much anymore. Therein lies the rub. And I dony know what its like where you live, but lately it has been slim pickins as far as what the stores have in stock - not a lot of produce, and what they do have looks like it has seen better days, for sure. Most disconcerting, to say the least.

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 10 2020 3:22:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:45:13 PM  Show Profile
I've been buying from the Amish (mine did not do SQUAT in my garden. They sell about 8 or 10 good sized HARD onions for about $2.50. And they keep. Just got some more today.
I had not been to the grocery in about a month, and really could have gone longer, but went to get some staples. The produce looked pathetic. I did grab 5 avocados for .69 each and a couple packs of mushrooms.
I am SOO thankful for the Amish. They are larger scale; there are always semis pulled up (taking out, NOT bringing in), but there stand is so reasonable. Stopped again today in my 8 hr foray in the car and got ANOTHER 25 lbs AMish paste tomatoes for $6 and at least 10 doz ears of corn for $20, 2 watermelons for $1.50 each, and on and on. So spending 30-40 every few weeks there keeps me out of the pathetic choices at the grocery. Will be sad when they close for the winter. Mostly everything I put up this year comes from them.
I am trying to make some time to order from Azure Standard; I found they have a drop here about an hour away, but you have to sign up etc.. And I think their selection is huge. Just haven't had the time to sift through it all, but the more bulk I can buy from a reputable source, the more I can stay out of the stores.
THe only thing you can do with those crappo onions is salvage a bit for stock.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  12:01:02 AM  Show Profile
I have been having the same problem with the Fruit from the Stores. I shop on-line and do curbside pick-up. Just this week alone I have lost a Mango, Strawberrys, Oranges, Watermelon,
and it just keeps going. The prices we are paying are terrrible for over ripe/almost gone bad fruit.

Ok, my rants done!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  04:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I buy most of my produce from the local farmstands. We also have the Amish market here but their prices are quite high so Icheck the sale table there or go close to closing on Saturday when they will run sales to get rid of stuff. They are only open Thurs-Sat so they have great sales by Saturday afternoon. I have trouble with potatoes spoiling so I buy those locally when I can.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  8:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! It is good to hear you are hanging on to your peace. Are you still writing your wonderful stories? I think of you frequently! Have a blessed day my friend!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2020 :  05:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marilyn, yes I am still writing about Pearl and her friends but the going is slow. I have too many days that I'm not able to stay focused and write. It's good to hear from you. Been keeping up with your search for a puppy - hope you find one soon.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2020 :  1:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, I agree. But I tend to have my potatoes go bad faster than my onions. It’s so frustrating. The smell is horrible and the dang fruit flies it draws in are just as bad. I’m sorry you had some bad onions. I really wish they lasted longer.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  4:37:40 PM  Show Profile
I so agree ladies about all the bad produce---I am so used to it all because I garden and a lot ruins---much work in gardening. Any way my rant is about pill ads in magazines---I got a Woman's Day in the mail today wanting me to renew---it was so tiny----so I tore out the pill ads and there was seventeen pages of them---good grief---no more mags for me. And the pill adds on TV are enough to choke aa goat.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  4:49:22 PM  Show Profile
I get organic and even the sweet potatoes and white potatoes dont last more than a couple weeks at the very most. I remember when I could keep potatoes for weeks on a cool dark space. :(

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2020 :  6:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Anymore I keep my potatoes in the fridge. I never used to have to do that.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Wee Little Rant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page