True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Okay, I know some of us tend to enjoy pushing the season, especially when it comes to fall. After a long, steamy summer I crave the cooler weather and putting the garden to bed. This past weekend, I couldn't wait any longer. The nights have been cooler, the weather has been milder. "September" is here, and for me that simply means "happy." I put up the wreaths; set out decorations of pumpkins and sunflowers and berries and nuts and multi-colored leaves; pulled out my favorite orange-y floral tablecloths, placemats and napkins; lit the candles scented with apples and pumpkin and cranberry and cinnamon and ginger and cloves and maple; filled bowls with fresh apples; pulled pumpkins in from the garden and strategically placed them throughout the house... It's not quite here yet, but my home is warm with oranges and reds and golds and bronzes with a touch of teal for good measure... it's beginning to feel a lot like autumn. It's cozy and warm, and smells wonderful.

But this coming week? Our teasing Mother Nature is having a giggle. The weather is climbing back up from the cooler 70 degree weather we've been enjoying into the 90's. EeeeYUCK.

So, despite all the scents and trimmings, there is still that sumptin'-sumptin' that's missing: the reality of autumn. It continues to elude. It's just not here yet. It's around the corner - the anticipation is building... But, for me, this is as hard as waiting for Christmas when I was a kid!

Oh, where art thou, fall???

That got me to pining for all that is true autumnal bliss for me..

Things like:

- the first cool night with the breeze gently carrying the fresh wisps of air into my room... cuddling cozily under TWO layers of MaryJane's magnificent quilts, and the subsequent really good nights sleep that accompanies it!

- the first smell of chimney smoke wafting through the chilly air, as I walk through the wet leaves of red, yellow and orange lining the alley behind our home.

- enjoying pumpkin chocolate chip muffins fresh from the oven, and sipping a nice cup of hot tea through the bite of muffin to melt the chocolate on my tongue

- bulky sweaters, plaid woolen scarves, fingerless gloves, knee-high leather boots with lacy liners

- a trip to the farm for the annual pumpkin festival... watching the kids jump off the big bales of hay into huge piles of leaves, and thinking how that was my son just yesterday!

- a big bowl of chili with shredded extra sharp cheddar and a dollop of sour cream on top

- picking apples at the apple orchard - and enjoying warm homemade cinnamon apple pie afterwards, with a little vanilla ice cream melting on its side, of course!

- pumpkin spice coffee!

- Sunday afternoon open air concerts with a picnic lunch at the local winery (although it's been a while...)

- watching the leaves falling and swirling around my hubby and our dog as they walk the path down the woods at our local park - it's just magical!

- candy apples, caramel apples, hot apple cider, warm cinnamon sugar doughnuts, licorice pipes, and the smell of Halloween candy in bowls on the table

- going to my cupboards filled with beautifully delicious home canned goods... it's so hard to take any jars out and use them, they look so pretty!

- nestling my cold feet up against my hubby's warm feet in the middle of the night - and giggling when the shock wakes him!

- soft candlelight dancing everywhere in the night

- the frosty full moon hanging low in the velvety blue-black night

- black silhouettes of naked tree branches brushing against the moonlit sky

- sleepy garden beds, warmly tucked in under straw, ready for a warm winter's nap

There are sooo many wonderful things that come when autumn finally hits...

Are you pining for autumn like I am?? What are some of YOUR favorite fall experiences? Let's ponder the wonder together!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 08 2020 06:07:18 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  04:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Nini, there's nothing left for me to say but (and you know there's always a but) I didn't see candy corn listed. My fall doesn't start until I have that first bag of Brach candy corn. Fall is my favorite time of the year and always has been. Can't wait until the mornings are chilly enough for a flannel shirt. Candy corn and flannel shirts means fall is here whether the calendar says so or not.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sara! You are SO right! Candy corn!! I just picked up our first bag of the season yesterday at the grocery store!! And flannel shirts... Just perfection!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!

Happy fall, sister!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile
What about coming in from the cold after raking leaves, when the heat from the oven and that first delectable aroma of roasting meat and vegetables hits you?! Mmmmm-M!!! AUTUMN!!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini. your shared my sentiments of fall perfectly!
I long for it come August.
We will be heading north this weekend though I know it won't have the colors they have in October but the temps promise to be in the 60's. Can't wait. Celebrating my aunt's 100th birthday. So looking forward to even a little of what is to come here eventually. I'm right there with you on the warmer temps coming. I hope it changes before next week to cooler temps but we will have to wait and see.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Awww! Happy Birthday to your Aunt, Denise!!! How awesome to be 100! I can only imagine all the things she has seen and experienced in her lifetime! I hope she is well, I hope she thoroughly enjoys the remaimder of her golden years, and I hope she gifts you with all her stories! How incredibly different life is now compared to when she was just a girl! I bet her story is amazing!

My goal has always been to live to be 112 so I can live to see the Tri-Centennial, then enjoy one last year of the change of seasons, especially autumn, and then celebrating one last glorious Christmas with my loved ones here before going Home. We shall see! We shall see! Your Aunt surely gives me hope that it can happen!!

The leaves started changing here in PA in mid-August... There's a good chance that the further north you go you will see autumn's beautiful display! I will say a prayer you do! Be safe! Have a great trip!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 08 2020 06:33:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  2:24:02 PM  Show Profile
Nini, your account of Fall was perfect!! While we don’t get those qualities down here in Florida, I grew up with them in Virginia and today, I think about them with great nostalgia. Like you, despite the raging 90 heat and humidity, I pulled out my Fall stuff and had a blast putting all those things out again!! I just love grinning pumpkins , scented pumpkin and apple candles, and those favorite things we have collected over the years. In a way, getting out my Fall box feels very similar to getting out my Christmas stuff! There are so many memories jammed packed in these boxes from decades. And I am with Sara in that you have to have candy corn to properly usher in Fall! And wearing a flannel shirt is icing on the cake!! LOL!! Sadly, I am pretty sure we won’t see any flannel shirt weather until close to Thanksgiving and maybe no even then.

Denise, enjoy your trip north to visit your Aunt! Great weather and a 100 year old birthday sounds awesome!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2020 :  08:54:53 AM  Show Profile
We went from summer to fall in one day....not kidding. 86 degrees on Monday....27 degrees on Tuesday. Big Wonderful Wyoming.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog

www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shop

www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2020 :  09:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you Sherone!!! Seriously! I'm so over hot and humid dry and dusty!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2020 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Danna -- it's still too hot to consider fall. We don't have the humidity but we sure have the smoke. It has cooled off -- today is predicted to only be 97.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4709 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4709 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2020 :  11:55:33 AM  Show Profile
I've been enjoying the beautiful autumn weather we are finally getting here in the Chicago area. It's been really nice to break out my blue jeans, long sleeved shirts and light jackets. Too soon for the trees to change colors yet. Our cool nights have made for some really great sleeping weather though. I bought a autumn cookbook magazine and the recipes have been excellent. The aroma of baked apples, pears, & pumpkin recipes have really cheered me up.

Happy Fall to All!
Dawn in IL

"By all these lovely tokens September days are here, with summer's best of weather and autumn's best of cheer." Helen Hunt Jackson

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Sep 09 2020 11:56:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  08:33:55 AM  Show Profile
We had a "hint" of autumn last weekend. Delightful! We had our first campfire of the season in the yard. The cool breeze coming out of the woods smelled like autumn. I crave autumn. You worded it perfectly. The farmstand had pumpkins yesterday. I might have to get one early this year. Autumn is pumpkins, crunchy leaves and cool breezes to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:12:34 PM  Show Profile
LOL!! I'm now pining for Autumn, too, Nini!! I was reluctant at first when the air changes and that fall bug bit... but I gave in - in a hurry! All my Autumn decor has been up for two weeks now, I have my stairway garland and lights to hang this weekend, but we are decked out in autumn colors, ghords, pumpkins, garlands and candlelight!! Bring it on!! We are sooooo ready!! Especially with our 48 forest fires here in Oregon, the smoke and fire is awful, we definately need some cooler weather and less wind to give our fire fighters a break. Happy fall to all!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  07:17:43 AM  Show Profile
Awww... thanks, girls...so good to share our kindred love of fall!

We finally had TWO very cool nights in a row. I crawled into bed earlier both nights, snuggled with my hubby my side and our fur baby Bella at my feet, and had two of the best night's sleep in ages!

When the chilly air rolls in, it feels like Advent to me - like the weeks leading up to Christmas! It's Holy, it is a time of reflection; a time of anticipation and hope; a flurry of excitement and activity leading up to Tuesday, September 22nd...the First Day of Autumn. Tell me again.. why is it not a creatively celebrated holiday???

Our leaves started turning early here in August.. not all, just a few; just enough to make my ears tingle and my heart leap. And you know, I have this cool pair of sunglasses with a blue-black hue that make all the fall colors pop much sooner than the naked eye... so I cheat with them, harmlessly visually pushing the season. Lol.

It's funny because over the past couple of days, Bella has really perked up, too. She has been so much more playful and engaged. She picked up her ball and tossed it at my feet the other night and looked at me as if to say, "Ok, Momma, it's our time again!" She even kicked the ball with her hind leg to my hubby - we both did a double take! If dogs played soccer, she would be a star, baby! She especially loves blocking like a goalie and playing keep away as we chase the ball side-by-side through the yard. She always wins. I can't keep up. I don't know what I'm thinking. Lol. She looks back at me with her bright sparkling eyes and big puppy dog smile with her wagging tongue hanging out as if to say, "When are you gonna learn old woman? Wanna try again?" Lol. The challenge! It begins! A big, deep breath, and once again, we're off and running! Gosh, does she make me laugh. She keeps me young at heart. So sweet. Too much fun. Her most favorite season is winter, tho. Snow for her is more energizing and powerful than Starbucks is for an over night trucker. Lol. Oooooh, Momma' s sweet girl! Bring on the cool weather! It's time for Momma and Bella to ROLL!

Hopefully we will be able to get out to the orchard this week. All that is missing right now is apple everything! I just need time... there is never enough time. It's kind of like life in general.. We get so busy with must-do's and unexpected interruptions... I don't want to blink or else I might miss it! Then it'll be another whole year of pining! Perish the thought!!!

So, what are your favorite fall traditions, girls? I have always wanted to have that quintessential fall picnic, gathering with family and friends in the woods, with chilly air, hot cider and beautifully colored leaves gently falling all around. You know.. with plaid blanket table coverings, candle-filled apples an mini pumpkins.. a big crock pot of chili, everyone bring a dish. Sigh... some day.. some day..

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 15 2020 07:24:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  4:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Nini!

I decided to pop over here and was thrilled to see your post. You and I have always been lovers of Autumn. Thank you for sharing everything Nini, and I especially loved reading about Bella, so cute! I had to laugh at your glasses, I love wearing my polarized sunglasses to enhance the colors :) Ha!

We have not only had frost warnings the past couple of weeks but had a freeze warning last night and the freeze was delivered. Brrrr....25 this morning in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Up until last night it was forecasted that the last week in September would be the peak for color but I am thinking that it will be sooner especially after the freeze and warmer temperatures for this weekend.

It took nearly all of my patience to wait for September 1st to decorate for Fall. Twinkle lights are up all year long and to them I have added some leaves in lovely fall colors and vine garlands from vines we found while taking the atv out in the woods. The leaves are heart shaped and both the leaves and the vines are a beautiful garnet color.

I just found a recipe for a Pumpkin Spice Syrup that I am itching to try for Michael (my barista honey) so he can make me a more natural Pumpkin Spice Latte. Chili in our home is Pumpkin Chili served with cheddar and sour cream (like you!) and homemade cornbread with apple butter. Pumpkin Fudge is an annual Autumn recipe too!

Both of our pups Cookie and Comet are rescue pups. We don't know their exact birthdays so we decided that we would celebrate their birthdays the first day of Autumn. I make them Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Pupcakes garnished with a Carob Oak Leaf Cookie. They love it and we are so thankful for them!

This year was my first garden here and it is still doing well. I learned to succession plant so I have Kale, Carrots and Beets awaiting to be harvested (probably a couple of more weeks). Our short growing season also means green tomatoes ;) So Green Tomato Mincemeat, Green Tomato Chutney is canned and Green Tomato Pie Filling for the freezer. The smell of spices cooking is divine! Fall is a time for me to make sure we are stockpiled for Winter seeing we are in a pretty rural area and are given to lots of snowfall.

Turkey hunting has become a tradition for Fall here (and Spring :) Got my first turkey in May :) ) Being outdoors and riding or hiking through the woods is so refreshing and beautiful, I simply can't get enough! Foraging for wild mushrooms has become a hobby this year and still going on during fall.

I don't decorate with Hobby Lobby decorations (not that there is anything wrong with that, just not me :) ) I love to bring nature indoors so we have branches everywhere, vacated wasp nests and bird nests that were abandoned with leaves, pine cones and acorns strewn about. I did find a beautiful deep orange/rust plaid woolen scarf at the thrift so that is acting as a runner on our coffee table along with beautiful felted wool pumpkins that were gifted to me by someone special ;)

Michael proposed to me on Labor Day so we have a Labor Date which I love, we will go to Lake Superior, local Waterfalls and then antique shopping or art gallery type shops.

We have been here for 3 years and have had quite a few health issues with my mom and both of us so we haven't developed much for tradition yet. Mom went into Long Term Care back in January so this year has been catching up on projects and being able to spend some time together just us. We are planning a Kayak trip soon to see the leaves surrounding the lakes (not sure which one we are going to, we do have many to chose from) and hopefully hear the Loons calling too :)

We did however start a tradition with a neighbor that has many apple trees :) Michael built an apple grinder and cider press so we have all picked apples together and then press them to make cider. So good! We still have some in our freezer so I will probably take out a gallon to make some spiced cider next time we get a freeze. Also on the list is boiling some down to make an Apple Cider Syrup :)

Fall picnics (wow, everything seems to be focused on food :) ) with apple slices,cheeses, salami, mustard and cider and a bar of really good dark chocolate too.

Sweaters, flannels, cozy socks, boots, finger less gloves, shawls....the smell of wood smoke whether it be from a fireplace, wood stove or campfire, the smell of leaves and the look of leaves in all their glory. Poor Michael whenever we are out in the woods he is always waiting on me from picking up leaves "oooh that's pretty! ooooh look at this one!, etc. " The warm glow and scent of beeswax candles. The crisp fresh air, the newness. Like a bouquet of sharpened pencils :)

Thanks for this thread Nini and Happy Autumn my friend :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 18 2020 4:41:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini.. my favorite reason,,, well one of many... is the wearing of sweaters... I love sweaters, big and bulky,, or feminine and soft.. mostly of Cashmere.. I am a Cashmere sweater addict! I have almost 2 dozen.. yep,, I love them..
SO glad it is cooling off,, and in a week or so I can pull my sweaters out and start wearing them...
I am that old fashion kinda gal in the Fall.. the perfect outfit,, nice jeans, slipper shoes, a cashmere sweater and a strand of pearls.. even if just to wear around the house...
Did I mention, I love Cashmere??? lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I loved reading your post. So many things to love about this beautiful next season! I have never heard of pumpkin chili. Is it your own recipe?

Grace, I have been wearing my mocassins as soon as the weather stared to turn. Found a nice pair this year. They are so comfy. I pulled out all my sweaters and flannel tops yesterday. Usually wear the flannel ones over a tee or tank top till it get really cool.

Picked up some apples on Monday. Need to get started on applesauce and apple butter.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  11:59:03 AM  Show Profile
SHARON!!!!! OMGOSH!!! HOW I'VE MISSED YOU!!! DOING CARTWHEELS! SO good to see you, girl!!!! I think of you often, but especially in the fall... As soon as the chill hits, I make your Maple Pork Roast - one of our all time favorites!!! And I keep your St. Patrick's Day ornament up all year long! LOL! Oh, my. Just SO good to see you! We MUST catch up soon! I bet your home is beautiful, warm and cozy and smells of the most wonderful autumnal things! YAY!!! CARTWHEELS, sister! CARTWHEELS!!!

Oh Gracie - Cashmere! I bet you look as beautiful in it as it makes you feel! I was able to cozy up in a sweatshirt last week... Felt like a million bucks in my jeans, sweatshirt and clogs, walking through the park with the leaves falling and my hubby and doggie just a little bit ahead of me. It was the quintessential experience of autumn in the park!!!

Denise! I have a whole bushel of apples in my kitchen right now, too! SO excited! SO happy!!!! I found a wonderful little Mennonite store nearby, and they had some beautiful apples and wonderful apple fixin's... I have caramel wraps and sticks on the counter just screaming to adorn some Cortlands! We're gonna break open the fresh apple cider in the fridge as soon as we come back from our daily walk around the lake! :) I'm in Heaven!

I had two of the best nights' sleep last week... Cuddled up snug under the quilts with my doggie at my feet and hubby at my side... It was so chilly and cozy, I even slept right through their snoring! I felt so refreshed in the morning - ready to hit the floor running!

'Just found out that one of our local orchards is allowing apple picking, too! SO happy! I'm planning on picking up my grandniece the weekend after next, bar any Covid crises, and I'm going to mask us up and bring her down for a day of fun outside at the orchard. Then we're going to come home, make Sharon's Maple Pork Roast, a fresh apple pie (gonna teach her how to make homemade pie crust just like my Grandma taught me!), and start working on Christmas cards... When her Mom was little, she and I would do all sorts of fun things together... And her older brother would come out and hang out here with us quite often, too, when he was a kid, as did her uncle. The boys LOVED hanging out together and getting spoiled with big pancake and waffle smorgasboard breakfasts, which always included all the fixings - cut up apples, craisins, nuts, chocolate chips, real maple syrup...all sorts of wonderful things! I miss those days so much! I can't begin to tell you how much it warms my heart that she wants to carry on the tradition with me! SO looking forward to getting together with her!

I'm also planning to take my former neighbor - whom I used to babysit and is now a beautiful young teenager - to an autumn tea at the Victorian tea room next month...They are open and we are long overdue. She and I are already working on our Christmas crafts wanna-do list, and we need time to discuss and finalize our gift-making plans! I can't wait! Last year we had a blast making homemade bath salts and body butters - a HUGE hit, to be sure! We also made kitschy little Christmas panorama boxes with pictures of friends and family adorned with all sorts of Christmas ephemera and decorations. We are both so excited about coming up with new ideas for this year!

Then my foster granddaughter... Oh, my. I have soooo missed her. She and I were planning an amazing Alice In Wonderland themed children's play area for Relay this year, but Covid blew that fun for us. We were so bummed. I haven't seen her since our Valentine's Day cupcake making session and I am sooo heartsick that we haven't been able to spend time together. I think we're going to make Halloweeny-themed cookies next month, just like I used to with my son when he was little. I am soooo looking forward to frosting and sugar and candy decorations in our hair and all over the floor again! What's the point if you can't make a little mess while having fun??? LOL! And I sooo miss her infectious giggles... Soon... Soon!

'Just have to take these next two weeks to finish up a little more canning, close up the garden for winter, and clear off the dining room table and get my house just a liiiiiittle more ready for the season. I've got stacks of canned goods in cases everywhere and am slowly getting things moved into the pantry. We had a NASTY sewage back up a couple of weeks ago (Dear Lord, give me strength and help me!), and dealing with contractors, insurance and all that fun stuff has just made things so much slower moving on my usual fall must-do's than usual. I'm getting there. I'll get there. And there seems to be a new outbreak of Covid beginning here, so I want to be sure it's safe before we do anything in person at all... My girlfriend's ex-husband just died from Covid after waiting too long to get to the hospital. They had to put him in a coma and on a vent, and had hoped he would come out of this with his health; but his organs started shutting down. It was one of the saddest, most sobering things that has happened in our circle since this whole outbreak. My heart absolutely breaks for his wife and all of his children and loved ones. With that experience fresh in mind, I just won't allow anyone to be at risk for this. I'm thinking if need be, I can always put together fall care packages for each of them, mail them out and schedule a Zoom session or something with each of them so we can do our projects at home over video together. Where there is a will, there is a way! ;) But as long as the coast is clear, we will definitely follow all protocols and get together. Being with "my girls" will feel like Autumnal Christmas! Oh, how blessed I am to have such lovely sweet young ladies to share in all the festivities of the seasons! All three of them are kindred spirits - they love everything homemade, they love tea and working on projects together and doing all the fun things I like to do. They fill my heart with more joy than I can even express! Not being together has definitely only made the heart grow fonder!

Did I mention how happy I am in autumn? I am alive again! ALIVE, I tell you! Dear George Bailey only got to start over once... But blessed, jubilant me: I get to experience this Wonderful Life experience over and over and over again! ;)

Oh, Autumn! WELCOME, old friend!!! WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!!!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 27 2020 12:00:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2020 :  4:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Grace, cashmere! I experienced cashmere socks a few years ago and ....wow! Love them! Can only imagine how wonderfully cozy a cashmere sweater is :)

Denise, the pumpkin chili is a recipe I got from Taste of Home. I have tweaked it a bit using homemade chili sauce and homemade condensed tomato soup. It is very tasty and makes quite a bit :) Here is the link: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-chili/

Nini! I love your writing and would love to see you write a book, or blog, etc. I just love your enthusiasm :) I'm glad that you are still enjoying the Pork recipe, it speaks Autumn to me with some oven-roasted root vegetables alongside :) It sounds like you have some fun things planned, you will have to give us an update :) Send me an e-mail sometime, it's still the same :)

Happy Fall girls!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 06 2020 09:52:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pining for Autumn... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page