Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Apple Festival Giveaway!! WINNER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Apple Festival Giveaway!! WINNER!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  3:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Today begins our Apple Festival at MJF!! We have an entire month to enjoy all things apple and share with each other. To kick things off, I am doing an Apple themed Giveaway. To have your name tossed into the Apple gathering bucket, just leave a post and tell us an apple story. We all have some crossing with Apples so let's post them here and enjoy what others have experienced.

Here is an apple story that I can share. There is a Pomologist, by the name of John Bunker, who lives in Palermo Maine. In 2013, I read about his first book in an article in the September Martha Stewart magazine that my sister gave me. I was fascinated about his life so I went online to his CSA store and purchased it. John stumbled onto apple history by accident when he would see these local apple trees full of apples that nobody was eating. He would knock on the door and ask if he could pick some and was always told, sure pick what you want. He began to realize how many different apples were around and started to be interested in the stories of how they arrived. This launched a lifetime of studying apples, learning about grafting, and starting an orchard at his farm of all these heirloom apple varieties. The rest is history and he wrote his first book about his experience. In September of 2014, we planned a little vacation to New England and I wrote John and asked him if I could visit and meet him. I figured I had a 50% chance he could say yes. And YES he agreed!! It was a visit that lasted about an 1 1/2 hours but he showed me his farm and the orchard and told me all about his life work. It was fascinating and I was so honored that he agreed to let this stranger and her husband from Florida stop by! I have long been an apple lover from growing up in Charlottesville, Va which is in the foothills to the Blue Ridge Mountains, where apples have thrived since the English settlers came and planted seedlings from England. and France. Here in Florida, where it is too hot for apples to grow, it was so wonderful to learn more about how apples actually grow and how their story is the story of our nation. Everyone planted apples for food and to make apple cider to drink.

A winner will be selected on Friday September 11th!

I am excited to announce that our Winner of the 2020 September Apple Festival giveaway is MBurns, Marlene!! Congratulations Marlene!! I have your address and will get this out to you today or tomorrow. Have a Happy Apple Day!!

Thanks to all of you who participated and stay tuned because I have a new Giveaway from MaryJane to post next week. Apple delights keep rolling along!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 11 2020 08:35:32 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  06:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Winnie, I so enjoyed hearing about your visit with John Bunker. I don't have a apple story - I've never even seen a real life apple tree but I hear tell there a few trees around Texas.

I am a canner and hope to put up several different apple recipes when it's cooler and I'm able to open up my Yellow Rose Cottage for canning. Along with MaryJane's apple pie filling recipe I want to put up apples for savory dishes. One recipe calls for cracked black pepper and fresh rosemary. Doesn't that sound yummy to go with pork chops or pork roast. I would like to do a batch using other herbs out of my garden - maybe red onion too. I will have to work on that idea.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  07:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Winnie! So excited for this beautiful Fall weather, the air is crisp and the colors are so bright and vivid.

My apple story - my husbands paternal Grandmother has been gone for many years, she was an amazing lady of Czech descent and WOW could she bake. Each week she made dozens and dozens of kolaches - many varieties that she sold and lovingly gave to her family. She made poppyseed, cottage cheese, apricot and my favorite a blend of prune and apple. She used duck fat in the baking and the baked goodie was so tender, sweet and wonderful. I have tried to copy her art and may get close, but never the perfection Grandma achieved. She is missed and so are her prune and apple kolaches!

Enjoy this day that God has so lovingly blessed us with today!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Winnie, Loved reading your story! I've never met an apple aficionado like you! So I'm thoroughly impressed and motivated by your love for apples! I definitely don't have a story like yours HOWEVER I do have a little one about my experience with apples:
When I married, we took a trip to Hawaii for 3 weeks, combining a CE course with a honeymoon. On the island of Oahu we stayed in a billeting facility on the beach. It was GORGEOUS!! I met a local gal there and struck up a friendship. She worked at the aquarian there. We talked and found out we both loved yo hike. So she took me on a hike on the ridge of a old volcano. Along the way, she taught me about the indigenous plants. I tasted and cherished each flower and each edible plant she showed me. We got to a tiny tree full of grape sized fruit and she pulled one off and said try this. I did and boy was it so sweet and firm. NOT a grape but a 'rose apple'!! They were growing all over in the forest there! I wanted to take a few home and grow them but couldn't because of customs. But that was truly my real first beautiful experience learning of apples in such an exotic environment! That was almost 30 years ago. Still fresh in my memory as if it were yesterday. Best hike ever! ( we got to see Bruce Willis making a movie there too) :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  07:38:23 AM  Show Profile

Enjoy

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Winnie~ So much fun!

I can remember my grandma making THE best apple turnovers. I couldn't wait till it was time to go apple picking and to have her make those! They were so good and she used to fill them up full. So much apple goodness in each bite and we always got to have them right out of the oven. We would burn our tongues but it was always worth it!!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  11:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, what an interesting story of this island variety of Apple!! Thanks for the photo too. It has an interesting pear kind of shape as well!

Sara, Gail and Denise, I enjoyed your apple stories. With apples, it always boils down to something delicious to eat. Sara, when the weather cools down, no doubt the Yellow Rose Cottage will be humming along early in the morning. There are some good apple chutney recipes out there. I know you love the savory dishes and perhaps one apple chutney would be yummy for chicken or pork chops?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile
My grandma made the most wonderful applesauce cake with a caramel frosting. She wrote out her recipe for me many, many years ago on the back of an envelope and every year I try to recreate it. But it never tastes the same as grandmas. It is missing the most important ingredient all of her baking had. The Love and prayers she put in every dish she made for her family.

My apple trees do not have a lot on them this year, but we will enjoy every one of those delicious apples in a dish.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  10:58:49 AM  Show Profile
My unfortunate apple story this year is sad. My three very prolific trees took a late frost I assume. First year ever not to have any apples on my lovely trees. We usually have so many apples I can make apple sauce for a year, apple pies, apple tarts, apple cakes, dried apples and so much more, boy I miss them. I hope for a great crop next year.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014 & January 2019
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  5:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I am sorry to hear that a late frost killed your apple crop this year!! That sometimes happens to me with my orange tree and it is so disappointing.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  9:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Winnie - I LOVE your John Bunker story! How AWESOME!!!

When I was a little girl, my grandparents came to live with us for a time. We didn't have a lot of money, but there was always so much love and laughter when they were with us. Because of our Grandparents, our life was rich and full. Grandma and Grandpa were really big change savers, and every fall, as soon as her favorite pie-making Granny Smiths were in season, there would come a morning when we would find Grandma had a particular sparkle in her eye. She would pull out their big old change jar, then she and I would sit at the kitchen table and get right to sorting the coins. Grandma was particular about carefully piling them in stacks of ten to make it easier to load them into the coin rolls. Grandma would be particularly happy that day, always singing that song, "Sing A Song of Six Pence," and whenever she got to the part where the blackbird nipped off the maid's nose, she'd lean over and give my nose a loving little squeeze that would make us both giggle like crazy. Seeing that sweet white-haired little old lady sitting proudly in her apron, her glasses constantly sliding down her nose as she intently counted out the piles of coins... Hmph. It always made me think that we were secretly the richest family in the neighborhood... And truly, I guess we actually were... just not in the monetary way. Anyhow, when the rolls were finally all full and double-counted, Grandpa would pile us kids in the back of his little red car, Grandma would slide into the front seat, and off he would take us to the bank, where she would cash in her rolls for her apple money. When she came back to the car, we would go to the donut shop in town where they would treat us to donuts and hot chocolate - not too hot, though, or Grandma would give the waitress a tongue lashing for burning our tender little tongues. Next stop was a local farm or one of the apple orchards. This wasn't the weekend event we shared with Mom and Grandma at the Big Apple - No. There was no time for dilly-dallying or apple sampling or candied apple messes. This was PURE PIE business, she was in PURE APPLE MODE, and Grandma MEANT business. After a time, she would come out positively beaming with her Granny Smiths, regaling us with the story of how she had quickly befriended the farmer - or his wife - and managed to talk herself into a good apple deal. We headed right home and got to the task at hand. No fooling around. Grandma would peel and core the apples because we were too little and the knives were too sharp. She would entertain us by making the looooongest curls of apple peels she could, and we would get more and more excited the longer the curls became. All the while, she would tell us stories of her own Grandmother, who had come from England after the War. Grandma would say how stingy her grandmother was when making HER apple pies. Grandma's eyes would get really big as she held up her pinky finger, flailing it toward us. She would say, "Her pies were THIS thick! No, not MY pies. No sir-ree, Bob! My pies have LOTS of apples! Her pies...We were little children, for Heaven's sake! We were HUNGRY! But noooo... THIS THICK, I tell you! THIS THICK!" My sister and I would watch her with our OWN wide eyes, imagining our Great Great Grandmother to be a cold, boney, spindly, crochety, stingy, scary - dare I say almost witchy - old woman, and we felt bad our Grandmother had a Grandmother like that, because OUR Grandmother was so good and sweet and nice. It wasn't until many moons later we understood all that Grandma's Grandmother had lived through during the War, about the starvation, about the rationing, about the children being sent to live with relatives and strangers, about what it took to survive. She probably was amazing, to be honest. Nevertheless, we were grateful to have OUR Grandmother. She was warm and kind. She loved to give hugs, always "made of us" and other people. Nobody left her home with an empty belly OR an empty hand. Upon leaving, Grandma would load you down with goodies to keep you going until she saw you again. Most importantly, she ALWAYS made sure we all had plenty of apple PIE! Even her SLIVERS of apple pie were HUGE! LOL.

Hope you all thoroughly enjoy apple season!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 08 2020 06:49:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Nini, What a beautiful story! I'm so glad you had such a loving grandma. I am the youngest of the youngest of my grandma's 11 children so by the time I came along my grandma was not well. One of my aunt's was more like my grandmother. She was one of the older ones of the 11. I spent much time with her and she was one of the best cooks! I just love to hear these sweet, sweet, stories of the way others interacted with their families. That's the kind of grandma I want to be!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Denise.. I am SO with you! With such wonderful Grand-mas, Grand-aunts, and even Grand-neighbors leading us, we, too, will surely make our loving marks on the hearts of the young for generations to come!!! Just keep the torch burning, sister!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  06:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Kelly... I just saw your post now! How heartbreaking! I pray that your apple trees will recover for a new harvest next year!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  09:32:56 AM  Show Profile
I grew up on a farm with many kinds of apple trees thanks to my grandpa who planted them all over and cared for them. Now there is only a crap apple tree and a red delicious tree that only bears every other year. my mom and grandma made apple everything pies, crisps, jelly, strudel, cider etc. My grandpa's name was John and the neighbors called him johnny appleseed after the legend and the story book. there are many apple festivals in this area and the amish have one where there is fresh bread with apple sauce cooked in a huge pot over a fire. It is for sale for a dollar only and the smell of the apple sauce surrounds the area.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Each fall we love to drive to Hood River, Oregon, it's about 3 hours north of us, near the gorge and in the most beautiful valley you've every seen! Orchard after orchard, farm after farm! Depending on the month, you will experience a wide variety of produce and fruits. Many farms have bulk you can choose from that have been picked for you or you can pick your own! Many of the farm stands have jams, pepper jellies and gift items! There are picnic areas and a farm animals you can pet! There are even wineries! Hood River is sooooooo full of beauty and organics it's nearly paradise!! I usually hit the farm stands and pick out samples of apples I've never heard of or haven't yet tried... that's always fun! While we are in the hood, we take lots of family pictures for the surroundings are absolutely gorgeous and so peaceful! Makes for a happy heart!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2020 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and here's a link to view the fruit loop / hood river area if anyone is interested!!

http://hoodriverfruitloop.com/

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Hooray for Marlene!!!! That's so exciting!!!

And, thank you, Winnie for sharing so much apple love!!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Yaaay! Marlene! So happy for you!! Thank you so much, Winnie! I have really enjoyed reading all the posts, and having apple season loving sisters to celebrate with!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 11 2020 4:56:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Marlene. I am enjoying all the festivities of our 2020 Apple Festival.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2020 :  6:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Marlene!! I grew up with applesauce in my right hand almost constantly!! Love love it!! Great story/memory!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2020 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, love that story!
Congrats marlene!!

Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2020 :  10:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Marlene!!!!!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  8:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the pretty apple gifts winnie. It was fun to hear everyone's apple stories

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2020 :  8:59:22 PM  Show Profile
It was fun to hear everyone's apple stories. Brought back memories for me. Thank you for all the apple gifts winnie
Sorry I was confused and did not know I had won. Thank you for all the kind comments.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Apple Festival Giveaway!! WINNER!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page