Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Needing advice/information on pressure canner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Needing advice/information on pressure canner Next Topic  

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  2:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! I inherited my fiance's grandmother's pressure cooker! I'm so honored to have it! I have never canned this way before... I have only water bath canned but I want to expand my knowledge and start canning meats and other veggies so I must learn how! The make and model of the pressure canner that I inherited is Burpee Aristocrat Cooker with a patent number 1901699. Was made in the USA. It did not have the manual with it as she has used it for years and years but she is passed away now so I don't know where it would be. If anyone has any advice for me on starting to use this pressure canner or if someone might have the same canner and has the manual, I'm not sure if it's legal to make copies or not, but I don't know how else to get one. I have questions such as, do I have to can the same types of foods together? How will I know how long to process the foods for? How hot do I get it? Do I just get it to boiling and let it stay there for a certain amount of time for different types of food? Any advice is appreciated! I have a book on pressure cooking, but there's nothing like advice from people who actually do it! Thanks in advance!

Cecily#10084;#65039; Farmgirl #241

Farmgirl Sister # 241

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cecily! How COOL!! I would start off by checking with your county extension office. Ours will test canners for proper pressure. YOu will likely need a new gasket, and I know there are manufacturers that sell products for all makes and models.
Good luck! What a find!
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  5:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa!! So you think if I contact the Burpee company that they could direct me to where to get the parts and manual?

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  5:49:44 PM  Show Profile
she looks like an oldy, for sure. I follow the ball blue book for canning. Alot of good advice when just starting out. Good luck with it. Good idea to get the lid/gauge tested. I have an old all american pressure canner that I use.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  6:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele! I can't wait to learn something so I can get started! I will definitely get it checked by the extension office...I also need to get a Ball blue book...

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I have never seen one like that before. Great advice posted already. The Ball Books are the best in my opinion. You can also go to the Ball web site for some free recipes & directions or the USDA website. Before canning different products at the same time check the pressure and times each is processed. I've never done this because I can enough of one thing to fill the canner. You can also check for on-line classes. Your state college extension office may have free classes or free articles. I've attended in-person classes through the extension office and also an on-line webinar. Try the Penn State extension web site if you don't find something in your area, I know they have some recordings.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2020 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile
I used to use my grandparents pressure canner and they had ditched it--because it would stick. I bought a new one and I hated it and it has been in the basement for twenty years---unused, I have had them blow up on me and I am scared to death of them. They always caramelized my corn. I always freeze my veggies---and if I did not freeze them I would use the three hour water bath for them. My family did for a century and none of us got botulism. My advice---throw it out---or use it in a display---LOL---but all so true. I think it is dangerous.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2020 :  10:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Cecily! What a wonderful gift!

I did a quick search for you online and found this information:

http://libcdm1.uncg.edu/cdm/ref/collection/HENP/id/684

The information is on this page, HOWEVER, if you click on the .pdf on the page - it is the manual!!! YAY!

Hope this helps! Hope you enjoy your fiance's grandmother's precious gift!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Needing advice/information on pressure canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page