Teeny
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Amie
Nashville IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! I live in Nashville, farm country in Illinois, but have never lived on a farm or rode in a tractor. I want to learn skills my mother doesn't have (embroidery, etc) and someone directed me here. I joined in the beginning of the pandemic, but I've been afraid to start. Where should I begin?

EMGJulie
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Julie
CLAWSON MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  04:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Teeny! I just joined! How awesome that you want to learn new skills. I have a couple of ideas for you based on what I do. Do you have a library card from your local library? Most likely, Illinois has an electronic library system where you can enter a topic, flip over to Amazon to look at the book to see if it interests you, and then place an order for it online in the Illinois library system. Michigan's is called "MEL" for Michigan Electronic Library. No matter what library has the book, it will be sent to the library of your choice for pickup. You could look for beginning embroidery books, cooking, knitting, anything you are interested in. Next, I have built my craft library on $1 books from thrift stores. The older the book, the better as I love vintage things. Now, I did purchase Natalie Chanin's The Geometry of Hand-Sewing. I make a lot of my clothes completely by hand (not machine) using her methods. Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  05:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amie and a big WELCOME to our MJF Chatroom!! I live down in Florida and have never lived on a farm or driven a tractor, despite my name RedTractorGirl on this site. MaryJane defines Farmgirl as a matter of heart. There are many of us who live in cities and many who actually live on farms. It doesn’t matter because we all share our love of old traditions like various kinds of handwork, cooking at home, shopping at Farmer’s Markets, and learning more skills. Have you looked at the many badges we can learn from? Go to the Sisterhood link on the MJF Homepage site at maryfarm.org. You might enjoy doing a badge in a subject matter that interests you. Also, read over all the topics here on the Chatroom and join in with your comments and ideas. We all learn from each other. Most of all, don’t be shy. There are so many wonderful people here and once we were all newcomers!!

Again, Welcome and we are glad you are here!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Amie from northeast Texas and thankfully it's raining this morning. I grew up on a farm but never lived on one as an adult. I now live in a small house with small yards in a town of 24,000. I have learned a lot from the talented FarmGirls here on the Farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Teeny
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Amie
Nashville IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  08:29:28 AM  Show Profile
So I can begin anywhere? What happens if I look at a badge and realize I already know/completed the first level of requirements?
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6393 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6393 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the club Amie.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Amie. I am in the upper mountains of North Carolina. Looking forward to getting to know you. Take care.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  04:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Teeny. It's great to see another IL farmgirl has joined us. I'm sure one of the Farmgirl Sisterhood ladies can answer your badge questions. That topic is under All Forums. Good luck learning all you want to know about embroidery, etc. we have a lot of very talented farmgirls here who can help you.

Dawn in IL

"Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August."
Jenny Han
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2020 :  06:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello Amie and welcome to MJF from Southern California. I am sure you will find lots of love and support with any subject you want to learn about, but I find the best way to get started is youtube videos to learn new skills, MJF Forum to ask questions or bounce off ideas, and Swaps to push you outside your comfort zone to practice those skills.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  4:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Amie, welcome to the group. I'm so excited to see you join us! Yes, you can begin with any badge that you would like. Start with which ever one draws you in first. There is no order except within each badge. You will need to complete beginner level of that specific badge before you can move onto intermediate level. Other than that feel free to start and do which ones interest you the most! Come join us in merit badge chit chat to tell us what you are working on and ask any questions you may have!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello From Illinois Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page