kesinmn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

kris
St Cloud Minnesota
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Summer greetings everyone. As many of you are beginning to see some varieties of apples are starting to redden up.

For my badge requirements I wanted to post a couple interesting things.

First - I am going to brag!! The Great Minnesota Get-Together (aka state fair) has been cancelled this year. One whole section of the horticultural building is devoted to apples. And for very good reason. Chances are many of your favorite varietals have been developed by University of MN Extension. Check out their page: https://mnhardy.umn.edu/varieties/fruit/apples

Secondly, people hunting for heirloom varietals. That old tree in the back 40 that produces the ugliest fruit may be important!

https://www.treehugger.com/lost-apple-project-vintage-varieties-4862869

https://www.facebook.com/lostappleproject/?tn-str=k*F

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile
I was reading recently about how important it is to be saving old varieties of fruits and seeds of heirloom veggies. It helps combat the bad effects of GMO and big agra-businese. I'm reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle " for a food badge and it is a real eye-opener.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  4:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Kris, thank-you for sharing this page about apples that you discovered while doing the Apple badge. I was quite interested in learning how Minnesota came up with the Honey Crisp which is a favorite of many. Apples are a great interest to me as well despite the fact I live in Florida where apples cannot grow in our heat and humidity. This is a fun badge and I have completed the first two levels and keep thinking maybe this year I should try and finish the last level. Have you tried Envy Apples and Diva apples? They have become frequent choices in one of my local grocery stores and are both delicious. Check them out if you can find them. I also recently found Ambrosia Apples and they were good too. All of these new varieties are increasing and giving the old stand-by varieties a lot of competition.

As a newcomer to our MJF Chatroom, I wanted to share with you that a few years ago we decided to make September our MJF Apple Festival. We do apple story sharing, an apple swap, and a giveaway or two. Be sure to watch for more information. The month culminates with our Apple Pie Sunday celebration, which is always the last Sunday of the month of September. We share favorite apple pie dishes or other dessert apple recipes with each other as well. I hope you and all the other newcomers will join in our fun!!

Below is my apple pie that I made for Apple pie Sunday I made a few years ago.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jul 31 2020 4:36:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  03:43:49 AM  Show Profile
There is never a better topic than APPLES!
I have not had a chance to look through the badges lately. I will have to look the Apple badge up and see what I can do.
I always look forward to our Apple festival here and the swap!
~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 01 2020 03:45:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple Badge Posting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page